Summer makes me depressed

Meggy0001

Every summer is the same. I want to do so much but having no friends sucks, I can never go anywhere or do anything. I always say this summer will be different but its the same I spent all my time in my room. Last summer I could go a whole 7 days without stepping outside :crying:

I have come home from university and going back to how I was before I left has made me even more depressed than usual. Seeing the sun and hearing people having a good time kills me. I can't even open my curtains to let the sun in because it just sucks.

On facebook I see people with their friends having a good time and I am stuck in here with nothing to do. Literally summer makes me so depressed and empty.

Things have changed since the past years, I do now make it a habit to leave my house at list 6 times a week but that's either to go gym or just sit in the library and read a few hours or take a walk but its just so lonely, sometimes even worse because everyone just looks like they are having a good time. I used to be fine with being alone but now I cant fool myself anymore I cant stand it :( I don't know what to do with my life :/

I could be making films, writing scripts, photography , improving myself etc all that I used to love doing but seems I have lost all passion right now and I have only been home fore 10 days lol

I just want one friend, just one but nope. :kickingmyself:

Lilly789

I was not expecting your post lol I hate summer because I have to show more skin, and Im fat and ugly... not because I have no friends (I have none and it doesn't bother me at all).

I actually feel sad for you.. I realise you feel lonely, but you really don't need to be with other people to genuinely enjoy yourself. You just need to be comfortable with your own company.

Ive no idea where you are, but you can still go to the beach, explore the city and do whatever you want alone.
Do you have any extended family you're comfortable with? drag them out with you :D Its not ideal but its a good start, and you might meet people through them.

fate12321

I hate summer because it gets really hot, lol, but yeah I feel you. I'm in college as well and haven't really made any friends yet. The only friends I kinda have is my some friends from high school, (when I mean "some" I mean only 2). I'm taking summer classes just to get ahead faster, and also to be somewhere else rather then at home.

I really don't get on Facebook much, in fact I deactivated my account a few weeks ago, and so far I haven't felt tempted to check it and I hope it stays that way.

TreeBones

I feel depressed during the summer too. I almost don't want to leave the house.
Hate the sun, hate the heat, hate the humidity, hate the bugs, ...I just hate the overall feeling.
Also, I remember it was summer time when I first felt depression, so I've hated summer ever since.

Few things-

Stop looking on facebook. Next, make a few friends at your school. Anyone you talk to or consider an acquaintance, ask them to hang out. When I talk with people I make an offer to hang out and do something. Sometimes they say no, other times they say yes. Also take advantage of offers from others. try to do something outdoors. Go swimming, hiking, fishing, BBQing etc. Try to discover a new place to take walks and calm down.

LimitX

Summer or winter, depression is really a hard thing to overcome especially when you keep to yourself. I prefer to take baby steps and make at least a new friend every three months and go out to actually meet them, as opposed to using social media only. It has helped.

Diend

Are you burned out? You seem to have had a pretty busy life before. Be honest with yourself....are you compensating for loss time. 'Live your life to the fullest' is a cliche and will fail if you don't pace yourself.

Whoopdeedoo

You can go to the beach or park and read instead of the library
& outside you can snack listen to music,go online
Swim. May be .. I dont know where you live
You can bike or walk .. Get a bbq, and a lawn chair & a baby pool if you can to cool off
May be do a planter pot garden of flowers, veggies or herbs..
Visit Street fairs & festivals
Yardsales
Idk
I do identify with the lonliness believe me
But I also know that making your happiness rely on ideal circumstances is a waste of time
And how is anythinggoing to change if you stay holed up in the house

Celebrate and acknowledge the season by delighting in the treasures and pleasures other seasons dont offer
Its what Im trying to do
Taking babysteps everyday
Good luck I wish you well
I know its a difficult journey
But please dont give up ....keep trying

luiface

The first and only time I was ever actually depressed was during the summer of 2012. I don't know if I could say I know exactly what you feel like, but I can relate to your situation.
That summer I would go almost a week without showering because I would never go out, and out of laziness. I would wake up, and use my computer all day. Night time was the best time because I could sleep, and sleep was my only escape. I can't describe the anxiety I felt all day. I would cry once a week and it was terrible because sometimes my parents walked in on me because I had to share a room with them.
Anyway that was the summer after 8th grade and I was going to high school, summer is about to start again and this time I'm going into the 11th grade. I'm worried that it will happen again. I hope it's true that things get better after high school, doubt it though.

jimmy75

I think I understand that feeling too. I look back at all the happy summers in my childhood, and compare this to things now. Summer used to be something I looked forward to, now I don't even really notice it. Plus there are a lot more people outside in Summer, which makes me less inclined to go outside.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Yeah I agree with everyone who said you don't need friends to enjoy summer.

Yes, of course, if you're the kind of person who loves company, having friends is better.

But you'll have way better chances of finding friends if you get out and do stuff by yourself than staying homebound. You have to start somewhere.

If you don't know what to do outside by yourself, say so, I'm sure we'll have plenty of suggestions.

Edit: I just realized my post sounds a bit harsh. I was just trying to say that staying alone in your dark room feeling sorry for yourself is the path to nowhere. You need to find yourself a new plan.

Last edited:

Kiwong

Summer where I live is hot and humid, and I have trouble sleeping. That is depressing.

bsammy

The first and only time I was ever actually depressed was during the summer of 2012. I don't know if I could say I know exactly what you feel like, but I can relate to your situation.
That summer I would go almost a week without showering because I would never go out, and out of laziness. I would wake up, and use my computer all day. Night time was the best time because I could sleep, and sleep was my only escape. I can't describe the anxiety I felt all day. I would cry once a week and it was terrible because sometimes my parents walked in on me because I had to share a room with them.
Anyway that was the summer after 8th grade and I was going to high school, summer is about to start again and this time I'm going into the 11th grade. I'm worried that it will happen again. I hope it's true that things get better after high school, doubt it though.

well things wont get better just by the passage of time..if you dont change things or at least tinker little things here and there, odds are your disorder will get worse or at least stay the same..it depends what exactly your problem is...when i was young i thought i would just grow out of avoidance and my other problems but nope, doesnt work like that..

bsammy

what doesnt help is seeing ads like "Make this the most memorable summer ever!" ..its like, for many people on here, this is an impossible task..

yes, stay OFF facebook and what i also noticed doesnt help is being around others that brag about their many summer experiences...they dont mean anything by it but it makes you feel like crap..

luiface

what doesnt help is seeing ads like "Make this the most memorable summer ever!" ..its like, for many people on here, this is an impossible task..

yes, stay OFF facebook and what i also noticed doesnt help is being around others that brag about their many summer experiences...they dont mean anything by it but it makes you feel like crap..
I'm planning on at least trying to make myself busy this summer. Finding a job, learning how to drive, reading some biology and physics books, and I'll think of a few more things as time goes by.

onehandclapping

I was out today in the summer sun, on my own...

I was reminded about just how much it annoys me and bothers me. everyone was having a good time and here was me, mr miserable sticking out like a sore thumb. it was like every smug grin and sound of laughter I could hear from people enjoying the weather was some sort of cruel torture.

its like a nightmare I could not escape.... I went into a store and felt completely overwhelmed when the clerk was chatting and being massively fun and happy and social with all the other customers, who were all in a fantastic mood. while I sheepishly and politely excused myself by mumbling un-enthusiastically when prompted.

I couldn't wait to get back inside again.

Argentum

There's been an owl outside my window all summer. At least I have company, even though he never seems to remember my name.