stuck?

shakethelight

Helllo. I am pretty new here so bare with me. I am a fairly, timid. I live in my head most of the time. I have a catastrophizing way of thinking. I always tend to think the very worse of any situation. I used to over medicate myself with xanax and alcohol but that only made me reckless and than I would just be super depressed about the things I've done. I took myself of the xanax and they switched me to ativan. It helps a little with my SA but mostly just takes the edge off. It seems like I am afarid of everything in life. I still live at home (26) and I hate that. I feel like everyone my age is progressing and I am just stuck. I do see a therapist but I have been in therapy since I was 13. I just dont know if I will ever get better? I want to live a normal healthy life but I am terrified I will always let my fears consume me. I used to love going to the gym and working out. I stoped going because my anxiety was just too bad. and then I think because I wasnt there for a week, everyone would judge me when I came back. I know that's the crazy in me. I am not so speical that people care enough about me to notice that I havent worked out in a week. I am just tired of caring what people think about me that it stops me from things I love or want to do. How do you deal with it? What kind of skills have worked for you? Im sorry if this doesnt make much sense. but thanks for reading.

dottie

welcome to the forum! maybe it would be a good idea to set some goals. for example... "i am going to work out x days a week," and just force yourself to go. yeah, easier said than done. but you've gone before. you just need the follow-through.

DeadmanWalking

Going along with what dottie said, goals are a perfect way to help yourself through this. You can set minor, short-term goals or go for big, long-term goals. Just make sure the goals are reachable and that they aren't too taxing on you. It could also help to have someone who will help you reach these goals, like, for me, my friend helps me get social and pushes me to the gym. Another thing that you can do is to not let others' opinions about your hobbies get to you; be proud of them:).

Oh, and welcome to the forum:D! I hope you enjoy it here!

shakethelight

Thank you so much for replying. Yeah I think, I will try that out. I guess I set myself up for failure when I tell myself I am going ever day- but I should know mentally getting through those doors is much harder for me than the actually work out. good advice, thankyou!

and yes! I do like it here so far. everyone seems super nice so far.

Srijita52

Hi, welcome to the forum. I know how you feel but I agree with everyone. Maybe you can start by setting small goals first and gradully work your way through tougher ones. Good luck!

shakethelight

Thankyou! and yah I agree too. I'm going to make a list of things and try to conqur this. Its just I feel so behind everyone my age. and silly I let others dictate what I want to do.

Srijita52

Thankyou! and yah I agree too. I'm going to make a list of things and try to conqur this. Its just I feel so behind everyone my age. and silly I let others dictate what I want to do.
I understand the feeling. But you've time to catch up, just keep trying to get the things you want. It won't be super easy but it can get better.

lonely_drummer

Ohhhhhh, I know how it feels to make your move based on what everyone around you are doing. It's hard to let go of that, it's easy for people to compare themselves to others, just to get a bearing of where they're at themselves but you should start asking yourself questions like "what do I want?", "what is best for me?". Like others have said, try writing out a list and remember to just take things one step at a time, you don't want to over clutter your mind, that won't help at all, it'll just make things more stressful. So I wish you luck! And I would like to welcome you to the forum!

Last edited:

shakethelight

Everyones so nice here lol. It's a switch up from my every day life. Thanks for the advice. That's always been my problem, comparing myself. And making list but there is so much I need to fix that it gets soooo overwhelming. But I am going to pick one thing and work on it. Thank you again!

bcsr

Hi there. I've been on 4 different medicines for anxiety, and 3 for depression. I've also experienced therapy, and none of it made any real difference.

Exposure works. Set small goals and follow through. It's fine if you get anxious / scared. It will gradually become less and less, I promise.