Staying sane while unemployed

I'm currently unemployed (with two job interviews this afternoon, so hopefully that will change). It was majorly depressing, though. With no commitments to get me out of the house, I rarely left. Since I was depressed, I found it hard to motivate myself to look for work, which made me feel like a failure, which made me more depressed, and so I never wanted to go anywhere, and felt like a loser, and got more depressed...

The only thing I know is to force yourself to do something. I can't go anywhere, really, since I don't have money, but a few times recently I've gotten on a bus, landed in a nearby suburb, and just handed out resumes. Doing something does a lot to lift my depression. The tricky part is getting yourself out of the house to do that.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works :)

Aussie_Lad

When I broke my hand last year and spent a couple of months away from work, I just went out nearly every day for walks and visited the library at least once a week. It amazing how much time you can spend at a library when you have lots of time to just browse and see what's there. When you find a good book then you can borrow it out and take it home and then it keeps you occupied for a day or two. Then I would play board games with my mum every day too, with scrabble or upwords being the main choices.

None of the above cost any money, and you don't even miss work when you have that much to keep you entertained while you are away. I know that in my case, it was only a couple of months, but a couple of months can easily turn into a few months or even a year, for so long as you make an effort to do a few things then you won't get too bored.