SP: All your life or acquired later

Did you have SP all your life?

• All your life

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SilentStranger

I just want to know if people here had SP all their life or if you acquired later in life?

If you got it later in life, then when did you get it? In mid-late teens? As an adult?
If you got it later, was it caused by any particular event?
Do you think its easier to get cured of SP if you only acquired it later in life?

I think its easier for people who get it later to get out. Why? well they generally have social skills and maybe even have other things going for them. Like.. the ability or skills in social activities like sport etc. They might even still have the network of friends, that makes things easier when you are looking to recover.

For me, I have had it more or less all my life. I remember crying before going to pre-school and being horrified of school. I finished school quite a while ago. I am still struggling.

-SS

Remus

Staff member
I've had it as long as I can remember, my mum said even as a baby I didnt like hugs or attention

Danfalc

Banned
I think i aquired it later... tho deffo had issues all my life.I personaly dont think its any easier to get "cured" :) But im a negative bastard so :D I got it around 18 so mid teens... I think my mum ending up in hospital and me getting kicked out from home triggered it.

RedRibbons

Later in life, when I was about 17/18. This might not sound traumatic but leading up to that point wasn't so good, and then a guy hit me with a question out of nowhere.. "Do you have a problem with your sexuality?"

This did not initially spawn social anxiety.. It spawned pure obsessional OCD I just thought about this question over and over and over and cried about it and even told my parents I think I might be bisexual or something. Because I was so obsessed with this questioning.. It got to the point where I thought I had some weird vibe or smell coming off of me that made people know I was a lesbian, even if I didn't know. So I became really nervous around people and would blush and such.. That developed into anxiety around all sorts of people and worrisome obsessing.

Then when I was about 18 or so I made the conscious decision to stop hanging out with my friends at the time and that just further blocked me off from people and didn't help my problems. Over the years of obsessing and anxiety I've gotten a lot better.

There are other influences but I've been working through those as well and that is also getting better.

So that's it.

slimjim119

All my life. Started as extreme shyness and developed into SP. Hard time adjusting in early grades of elementary school. But I managed to get by and make some friends.

kuze

Ive had it for 5-6 years now, I was always very outgoing when i was younger, I was never afraid to make friends or pursue any social adventures. High school was when it really started for me, I look at my life in two halves, before high school and after.

Mozart22

I got it in high school because some mean kids would keep laughing at me
over and over again. (they did this to many people, not just me)

forensic44

I was bullied in 4th 5th and 6th grade, and then I didn't talk at all in 7th and then had anorexia in 8th along with my sister.

:(

I hate it.

dpr

RedRibbons said:
Later in life, when I was about 17/18. This might not sound traumatic but leading up to that point wasn't so good, and then a guy hit me with a question out of nowhere.. "Do you have a problem with your sexuality?"

This did not initially spawn social anxiety.. It spawned pure obsessional OCD I just thought about this question over and over and over and cried about it and even told my parents I think I might be bisexual or something. Because I was so obsessed with this questioning.. It got to the point where I thought I had some weird vibe or smell coming off of me that made people know I was a lesbian, even if I didn't know. So I became really nervous around people and would blush and such.. That developed into anxiety around all sorts of people and worrisome obsessing.

Then when I was about 18 or so I made the conscious decision to stop hanging out with my friends at the time and that just further blocked me off from people and didn't help my problems. Over the years of obsessing and anxiety I've gotten a lot better.

There are other influences but I've been working through those as well and that is also getting better.

So that's it.

That sucks. People really don't know how something they stupidly blurt out will affect the course of someone's life.

I didn't have SA all my life, but I think I had OCD all my life. But it was different when I was young, more about counting and rituals. Now it's more about obsessive/intrusive thoughts.

I was actually the class clown from elementary school right up to grade 8. In junior high, everything changed but I'm not sure exactly how. I can't pinpoint it you know? There was no big huge traumatic event for me, it just slowly got worse and worse.

I've had it all my life...the only adult i was ever able to really talk to was my mom...and the family I live with now is always asking "If i don't want to communicate with them why don't i leave?" I can't even talk to my own dad freely...I hate going places without a close friend..hell I hate being around this family without a friend because I feel trapped inside myself and the anxiety that someone might try to talk to me about anything freaks me the hell out.
For the longest time I thought I was just shy...but I know normal shy people and they are no where near as bad..my boyfriend is shy and he prolly says more to my dad in a day than i do...
It's seriously one of the most refreshing things to know there are other people out there who are tryin to deal with this

SunCat

Had to play the piano at age of 13 in this huge theatre, when I had never played in front of an audience before, not even my parents, and I just went blank and couldn't play properly, I just froze and later the judge passed some comment about me and I felt totally humiliated.It then crept into my school life and I would bunk school and lost most of my friends. They also started bullying me, passing comments behind my back because I became very shy and introverted. Standing in the school hall for morning assembly was just torture. I had always been a little shy, but my childhood was happy and I had many friends.

Rigil

I've had it most of my life, since around 14. I'm currently sneaking up on 39.
At the age of 25, I was accused of something I did not do, and that brought judgment issues to the table.
I pretty much had a slow motion breakdown over the next three years, and still struggle greatly.
Before then, it was "just" a fear of being ridiculed.
As far as my life before 14- that was way back there, but I still remember being popular enough to be voted class president at 2 different schools.
Those are good memories, as long as I don't use them to judge my current status- and that's quite hard for me. :(

Psilopa

Probably all my life. Certainly from the ago of 7 or 8, and I have had older relatives wonder about my habit of going fishing alone when I was three years old.

dpr

SunCat said:
Had to play the piano at age of 13 in this huge theatre, when I had never played in front of an audience before, not even my parents, and I just went blank and couldn't play properly, I just froze and later the judge passed some comment about me and I felt totally humiliated.It then crept into my school life and I would bunk school and lost most of my friends. They also started bullying me, passing comments behind my back because I became very shy and introverted. Standing in the school hall for morning assembly was just torture. I had always been a little shy, but my childhood was happy and I had many friends.

aww that is really too bad that happened. for what it's worth, i used to be music teacher and that is really common, for students at recitals to just choke when they go to perform. or sometimes they just blank out and can't remember how the song starts cuz they're too nervous. It happens all the time and is nothing to be ashamed of, because I think it takes a lot of balls just to get up on the stage in the first place.