Some very basic dating tips for guys

Felgen

A lot of guys on this board have problems with the opposite sex. A few will even blame every individual girl because of it. I'm not a dating expert or anything, but here is how I managed to overcome love-shyness:

First of all, you will need confidence. This can be "faked" for a short amount of time (enough to get you in bed with a drunk chick, but no more than that), but it will come by itself after hard work. If you're obese, try to lose some weight; while there are fat guys with hot girlfriends, these fat guys have social skills we don't have. Start going to the gym and become more muscular--this will also boost your confidence. Get a job that will enable you to move out of mom's house (and don't give up before you have one) and consider enrolling in college.

Secondly, most of the PUA stuff with the cheesy pick-up lines is BULLSH!T designed by guys who want to earn money from other people's problems. The only ones worth mentioning are David DeAngelo and Neil Strauss, because unlike other pick-up artists, their material isn't as out of date as Windows 95. However, before you try out any of the dating gurus, read books and articles on overcoming shyness and anxiety.

Third, get a haircut and a nice wardrobe. Make sure it's a haircut that looks good with your facial structure; what looks great one one person, may not look that great on the person next to him. If you know where to look, designer jeans and nice sweaters don't have to be expensive. If you're not sure about what looks good on you, ask a female friend (female friends are underrated). A lot of men and women are uncut diamonds without knowing it themselves.

Fourth, ignore all the cliches about how "you just have to be yourself", "it will happen when you least expect it" or "there's someone out there for everybody". 10% of all the single males get 60% of all the single females, because they have confidence and social skills. You can overcome your shyness and improve your confidence and still keep your personality.

Fifth, stop blaming your problems on girls and women. While women have it easier than men when it comes to dating, ranting about it isn't going to make it easier to you. A woman isn't going to feel bad for you and date you just because she can get laid easier than you can. The guy who doesn't even have a high school degree and drives a Corvette, isn't going to give it to you because you work harder than him either.

Finally, don't be afraid to give the cute, slightly chubby girl a chance. If a person is 20 lbs overweight, it doesn't make them less attractive. If the only place where you look for girls is the local bar (where 3/4 of the customers are men), you're going to get rejected a lot. A great place to meet girls in 2010 is therefore the internet. Don't waste your money on Match.com where none of the girls have a paid subscribtion, but try out some of the free alternatives (eg. Plenty of Fish) instead.

Good luck!

Some tips I forgot to add: Mature women aren't attracted to a-holes. Some immature ones fall for "wannabe gangsters" because the media tells them that they're "cool", but most mature women actually like friendly guys as long as they're able to stand up for themselves and don't put her on a pedestal.

Last edited:

mads

I agree with you 100%. Some very good tips

But not that none of the girls has paid subscribtion. I found my girlfriend on match.com

coyote

The best way I have found to meet women - is to stop trying to "meet women."

Just go on about your life - do the things you are interested in, go to the places you are interested in going.

Meet people with similar interests and similar outlooks on life.

Talk to them, connect on a personal level, share your interests - in other words, "make friends" with them.

Some of them are likely to be women.

Ask them if they'd like to spend more time with you doing stuff you both like to do - that's called "dating."

Communicate openly and honestly - don't play games.

Really - it's that simple - no need to make it any more complicated. I know that for many of us, just getting out and doing anything is hard enough.

Take your time - you've got your whole life ahead of you. There is no schedule to follow. There is no prize for first place.

Have fun. Otherwise, what's the point?

Just go on about your life - do the things you are interested in, go to the places you are interested in going.

Talk to them, connect on a personal level, share your interests - in other words, "make friends" with them.

Ask them if they'd like to spend more time with you doing stuff you both like to do - that's called "dating."

Really - it's that simple - no need to make it any more complicated. I know that for many of us, just getting out and doing anything is hard enough.

Take your time - you've got your whole life ahead of you. There is no schedule to follow. There is no prize for first place.

Agreed. Definitely words of wisdom.

Nack

Banned
I didn't know Felgen had a PHD in Dating. No wonder he plays the role of Dr. Hibbert.
*thumbs up*:D*thumbs up*

I guess I'm missing the Corvette and the douche bag hairstyle :) I like my disheveled hair though :C

iamthenra

I've done that my entire life....and nothing came about it. SA comes through loud and clear I guess?

SA.... too scared to speak to unfamiliar people, which is why I always feel safe with the internet. They can see your picture and get to know you before you actually meet. Then I have no problems talking with them at all.

At what point do you hit the panic button? As we age things quit working the way they are supposed to on our bodies. Things sag, droop, and our body shows it's age eventually. Okay, put it this way. Who would buy a Playboy magazine filled with 90+ year old women? Same with men and Playgirl? I've missed my opportunity, and the older I get the slimmer my chances are at finding anyone who doesn't look repulsive undressed including myself...

With SA, there isn't any fun meeting people at all. In fact it is the most ridiculously uncomfortable feeling that I could ever think of. My gut starts to cramp, and the pain becomes excruciating which does go away when I leave the situation to be by myself.

I push myself to the edge of being uncomfortable, and even with my best efforts, I still remain single. Because my best effort is still not enough. I don't want to sound like a martyr, or a constant whiner, but I come here to vent my frustrations like everyone else. It just so happens that this is the only real problem that bothers me, it bothers me because I hate being alone and lonely, and I know this is the source of my depression...

"First of all, you will need confidence. This can be "faked" for a short amount of time (enough to get you in bed with a drunk chick, but no more than that)"

Story of my life. I've never gotten past this part!
Most of what you say is true enough, but it still doesn't change anything for me. Anyone can say "lose weight and get a job". But that confidence part see. It can only be faked. Haven't figured out a way around that yet.

seafolly

I struggle with this. One of my closest friends is always asking me how the heck to find a girl. He's had one girlfriend in the entire eight years I've known him and he says she was his first serious relationship...and he really didn't seem all that smitten to be honest. There is nothing wrong with him. He's cute, plays sports, is working on a PhD in nanometallics (or something), and best of all he's friendly and kind. He's looking for a long term relationship, someone to dote on. On paper, he's perfect. I've narrowed the trouble down to two things. Number one, he never picks the right ones. Too often they already have boyfriends, or they aren't people with strong morals (cheaters ahoy!). A few times he's found good people but it's the wrong situation (exchange student who's only around for a few months). So here I'll point out being at the right place at the right time (in other words, luck) comes into play.

The biggest issue? He reeks of desperation. I wish I could break it down further but the guy wants a girlfriend so badly it really does show. In the past year or so he's calmed down a little, dropped the whole, "I'm never going to get a girlfriend!" rant, and girls are starting to take notice of him. I'm sure you've gotten to the end of this post wondering how this was remotely helpful but please don't blame your SA. The only guys I ever truly notice in a bar are those who don't have a giant ego and I can sense they're a tiny bit nervous. It takes guts to just walk up to someone! Or a bit of alcohol. But either way, the ones who act like it's a privilege to be in their presence are sunk. Not that I think anyone here does that but it's worth saying.

I really think a lot of it boils down to luck. When you ask a happy couple how they met (aside from the internet) it's often a situation based on sheer chance. Or they took a leap and went on a blind date set up by a friend. These factors can't be controlled. So I'd say keep putting yourself out there, you'll never know who you find. Yes, be confident, but keep it in check. ;)

coyote

nanometallics.... Why am I picturing midgets with long hair and leather pants wielding guitars?

They could probably get girls.

seafolly

Hahaha he would beg to differ! I only have a first year university level understanding of chemistry and he says there's no way he could explain what it actually is with that meagre knowledge. He also claims it's one of the nerdiest things to major in but he's hard on himself. He's workin' on it though. ;)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
nanometallics.... Why am I picturing midgets with long hair and leather pants wielding guitars?

They could probably get girls.
Yeah, probably so.

mini-kiss2.JPG

iason

That was great. Thank you

Ericisme

Wow, you don't belong here, you sound like a preppy stuck up shallow bitch.

If people had confidence, they wouldn't have social anxiety.

If people weren't obese, they wouldn't have social anxiety, most likely.

If people had a job, and an education, it's possible they wouldn't have social anxiety.

If people looked good, it's likely they wouldn't have social anxiety.

coyote

Hi, Ericisme!

I'm not a preppy - I just wear Polo 'cuz I get it at a discount from my store.

How's the weather in the U.P.? Has it been as crappy up there the last few weeks?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Who are you talking to?
If people weren't obese, they wouldn't have social anxiety, most likely.

If people had a job, and an education, it's possible they wouldn't have social anxiety.

If people looked good, it's likely they wouldn't have social anxiety.
These statements are incorrect.

Ericisme

Who are you talking to?

These statements are incorrect.

Talking to the poster.

Noticed you didn't quote the confidence one.

Obesity has a side effect, lack of confidence.

Being uneducated and having no job also has one, lack of confidence.

Thinking of yourself as ugly or not lookin good means you lack confidence.

Lack of confidence can mean you're afraid to go outside, in fear of judgement from others.

Lack of confidence is probably the number one cause of social anxiety. Although, I should say it's the same for shyness, since that's what most people here suffer from.

stephen

No offense Eric but that's pretty hostile. I didn't think the dating tips were too useful to an SA forum either but there's better ways to get your point across.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Talking to the poster.
The original poster? Rather presumptuous of you to decide who does and doesn't belong here, don't you think?
Noticed you didn't quote the confidence one.
Right, confidence is relevant, though social anxiety and lack of confidence are hardly the same thing. That would be oversimplifying.
Obesity has a side effect, lack of confidence.

Being uneducated and having no job also has one, lack of confidence.

Thinking of yourself as ugly or not lookin good means you lack confidence.

Lack of confidence can mean you're afraid to go outside, in fear of judgement from others.

Lack of confidence is probably the number one cause of social anxiety. Although, I should say it's the same for shyness, since that's what most people here suffer from.
I've known obese people with plenty of confidence.

I have an education and I've had jobs before. Neither cured me of my brain problems.

Lots of people are hot and still have social anxiety--your statement I said was incorrect was not one about thinking you don't look good.

It's not just about confidence in any event. Really.

Also presumptuous of you to assume that shyness is what most people have here.