Social Phobia: Genetic or Environmental?

ScaredToBreathe

My parents don't have it. I had a pretty good childhood. I wasn't really bullied at all. Thinking back now, I was normal when I was very young, I had friends, I spoke up in school. At some point the anxiety took hold and it gradually kept getting worse so slowly that I didn't even notice it was happening. The only contributing environmental factor I can think of is my overprotective parents. I wasn't allowed to do anything with people from school. I wasn't allowed to talk on the phone. I wasn't even allowed to ride my bicycle past the neighbors driveway. My parents always had to be there watching and supervising whenever I went anywhere. It continued like that till I was 16 or 17. When I had no experience doing anything without my parents leading me, and then I suddenly have to drive myself to college and deal with that on my own, it's no wonder I quit.

it could just be biological, like a chemical imbalance in the brain or something, if it's not so environmental/genetic

fitftw

I'm pretty sure I was born with social problems. My parents said I never ever cried as a baby and I was always calm, but that I have done some weird stuff that I really don't want to talk about with anyone ever.

Lambie

I'd say it's environmental, I was fine before I went to secondry school. And my parents are the total opposite of me.

Dead_on_Arrival

I'm concerned for my daughter. She has always really enjoyed going to school but since going back after the summer holiday she is making loads of excuses not to go. She has always been quiet and only invites one friend home at a time. She is happiest when she is playing in her room on her own, gaming on the computer or when she is on bike rides with me. She has never been able to sleep out at friends or grandparents houses and has night time problems.

My wife has quite bad SA caused by blushing and shyness and suffers with deep depression and panic attacks and I have OCD and SA. I keep hoping it's just a phase my daughter is going through but I am now trying to live up to the realisation she may be SA aswell.
So I would say it is hereditary, but, can be caused by the environment we grow up in as with me.

Kiwong

My shyness was possible genetic.

The impact high school had on me was totally environmental.

I wasn't born with anxiety, I really only developed after I was forty years old.

KiaKaha

Banned
Both. I would say some people have a genetic disposition to SA.

Thats how I think it is with me, unfortunately I didnt have the support or mechanisms to really deal and understand the world properly, which lead to the environment making it worse.

Acegame

I think partly its in my genes, but it didn't necessarily had to turn into social anxiousness. The way im raised by my parents and some past experiences did the rest i think.

I once read somewhere that its genetic how people react on new things. There was an experiment with babies how they responded to things that are new for them. Some didnt care at all whereas other started crying (simply explained). They said this gene has probably something to do with social anxiety.

thomas90

I was very outgoing as a child, apparently id run up to strangers and speak with no problems what's so ever.

So i would say it was environmental.

Glitch

I once read somewhere that its genetic how people react on new things. There was an experiment with babies how they responded to things that are new for them. Some didnt care at all whereas other started crying (simply explained). They said this gene has probably something to do with social anxiety.

I watched this documentary about SA on Youtube a while ago and there was a part where they talked about how babies react to new things/can be more easily overstimulated. Really interesting stuff.

As far as genetics vs. environment, I'd say it's both. It's odd for me though because there's no history of anxiety/mental illnes in my family yet I remember always feeling shy and uncomfortable around people when I was young. Then I started getting teased in school, never really fit in anywhere. Plus my parents fought a lot and I grew up very sheltered. All of this combined had a hugely negative effect on me I guess.