Social Phobia and jobs

bitingthepea

Hi,
I just wondered anyone out there find it hard having SP and a job?!
Iv had a few jobs now and left a few because of my sp being that bad i wouldn't talk to anyone and would really clam up.
I must say i work better with lads, at the minute i work in a nursery with girls and i just cant do it they bitch and talk and bitch a bit more, and i keep well out the way but they must think im ignorant :(

Thankfully my contract ends in 3 weeks phew !!!! lol

Hoppy

I work in a production environment. There it is easy. All conversations is about what should happen next and everybody know what to do. Results are concrete and definable.

It is the bit outside that is a problem.

ljwwriter

I've just started a new job this week. My first full time job. Previously I worked part time in retail and it was something I eventually adjusted to. Many days were quite trying, though. But the shifts weren't too long and I have days to catch my breath in between, so I felt alright. Now, however, on day 3 of my new job I already feel miserable. It's a 9 hour shift and currently I'm in a classroom training environment. My anxiety is coursing through me throughout the long day and I feel myself becoming more and more down, lonely and hopeless. I guess this is what adult life has to be for me.

dottie

major struggle. and it's one of those things you can't talk about with people. they don't understand.

MercySparx

Working was tough at first, but working in the service industry really built my social skills and confidence. My only problems with jobs is my pathological laziness. Never take a job that starts before noon.

KiaKaha

Banned
major struggle. and it's one of those things you can't talk about with people. they don't understand.

Yeah... you try telling the welfare office that you cant get a job because you are too shy and socially phobic...

oh boy the look that they give you... a combination of confusion, disgust and pity all rolled into one..

Seabreeze

Hi,
I just wondered anyone out there find it hard having SP and a job?!
Iv had a few jobs now and left a few because of my sp being that bad i wouldn't talk to anyone and would really clam up.
I must say i work better with lads, at the minute i work in a nursery with girls and i just cant do it they bitch and talk and bitch a bit more, and i keep well out the way but they must think im ignorant :(

Thankfully my contract ends in 3 weeks phew !!!! lol

I started working for the postal service 10 years ago and it was hell.
Found it really difficult in the beginning and nearly walked out of my job on numerous occasions. I loved the physical job itself but just could not cope with the social environment ( was too shy,self conscious and my SA was just off the scale). Took lots of siccies. I had one very close friend/work partner who has stayed by my side in work through thick and thin. Like you I get on better with my male work mates then my female ones ..It's not that I get on better it's just I feel more comfortable with the smalltalk that I can do with them. I also avoid the bitching sessions as I'm too sensitive for that crap.
The lads tend to accept and leave you alone.
Over the last 2 years there has been a slight change and I am coping much better. I finally feel more comfortable in the job (not as comfortable as my work mates) but comfortable from where I was coming from.
I think if you find the right job that suits your SA then you can grow a little in the job.

fitftw

the only reason I never get hired is because I sweat at interviews and can't look the person in the eye very much and have nothing to say about their stupid questions.