Shyness and Inexperience: A deadly Combo?

SalemEdgerton1

Signals aren't exactly as clear as people tend to make them out to be sometimes I think. While I wouldn't say SA makes someone oblivious to seeing it, I think it makes it harder for us to because, well at least for me, the fear of rejection and being awkward is what stunts that from really going anywhere. It's really just a matter of taking a chance and sticking with it, which is really hard to do sometimes. I have yet to get it right or at least meet someone who can share similar feelings with me.

SickJoke

There's this gal I work with. Other people say she's into me, but I don't see it. Has SA made me a signal retard!? How do these signals manifest themselves??? I must know!

-Touching her hair while talking to you
-Leaning towards you
-Keeping your eye contact
-Getting close to you
-Touching you
-Giggling with you
-Initiating conversations with you
-Smiling at you
-Tossing her hair and looking at you
-Glancing at you from a distance
-Complimenting you
-Playfully challenging you
-Using nicknames for you

There are more, I'd say that's a start. Go get em :D

Jay Cataldo

Jay, you couldn't be Chuck Woolery, you not almost 70 :p....at least I don't think you are.

I really think change is great as long as you don't change your identity in the process. Like, I have a bad habit of more or less conforming to fit in and be liked by certain people and I did that for the two girls I went on dates with, but I think it really muddied who I am as a person and made things worse really. I'd like to think relationships are trial and error, but when they rarely happen or end very quickly, it's easy to get discouraged I guess.

I'm sure you figured this out Salem, but very few girls will respect a guy who tries to change who he is in their presence in order to be liked. On one hand it signals that the guy is not comfortable with himself which is never attractive and 2, it comes off like the guy is trying to "trick" the girl into liking him by putting on a front. Most girls get creeped out by this type of behavior (I can hear Licorice about to chime in "But I LOVE when guys try to trick me, Jay. I'm not like other girls. ::p:) for a number of different reasons, the most important being: if you convey to others that you don't believe you're a likable person, most people will follow your lead and not like you.

There's this gal I work with. Other people say she's into me, but I don't see it. Has SA made me a signal retard!? How do these signals manifest themselves??? I must know!

The easiest way to tell is to ask her out and see what happens.

A_Void_Ant

I wish finding a match were as simple as finding a shy girl I was attracted to, but it's not. The problem here is I am not only shy and socially anxious, but I am doing poorly in life as well. I have a minimum wage job, no college education or prospects, and no relationship experience or social status. I come in contact with very few people, only co workers and then customers (who can see me from a distance across the store), and other drivers on the road (one of the worst places for me). My chances of finding a good match are slim to none. I look at it this way. Half of my 40 coworkers may be females (20 matches), a third of those are within my age bracket (~7 matches), maybe only a fourth of those are single (~2), already down to 2 girls without factoring in anything to do with looks, personality and of course similarities. I'm a ****ing weirdo for typing all this stupid shit. What a waste.

SalemEdgerton1

I'm sure you figured this out Salem, but very few girls will respect a guy who tries to change who he is in their presence in order to be liked. On one hand it signals that the guy is not comfortable with himself which is never attractive and 2, it comes off like the guy is trying to "trick" the girl into liking him by putting on a front. Most girls get creeped out by this type of behavior (I can hear Licorice about to chime in "But I LOVE when guys try to trick me, Jay. I'm not like other girls. ::p:) for a number of different reasons, the most important being: if you convey to others that you don't believe you're a likable person, most people will follow your lead and not like you.

Yeah I have the hard way and now granted it's better than it was, but it took me a while to really set apart what was truly me and what wasn't. Online chatting's really helped make this not happen because for some reason I feel 1000x more comfortable to be honest and just be myself, even though I have a harder time do the same in person.

licorice

Jay,I dont think anyone should put on a front in an attempt to impress someone,but in the beginning its just seems many do just that...Its very nerve racking even for non social phobic people when in that dating dynamic,to just want to be like/accepted by a virtual stranger..And you should know by now that im not like other girls,haha,just kidding..The social phobic gentleman that I dated not too long ago did nothing but put himself down from the start and Im sorry but I still wanted to proceed getting to know him,however theres only so much one can take with all the self loathing and to try to bring someone up all the time is exhausting...And there goes the corny cliche saying,you have to love yourself first and foremost,but its true...One can only hide for so long till the real person comes out,so why be a phony from the start and waste everyones time,well thats just my opinion...PJS its not a waste,do you think there are no women out there in the same boat as you,well i bet there is!

Ubersonic

-Leaning towards you
-Getting close to you
-Touching you
-Giggling with you
-Smiling at you
-Complimenting you
-Using nicknames for you

There are more, I'd say that's a start. Go get em :D

Yeah that's the stuff I would of guessed. She gives none of those lol. I don't know what these people at work are smoking...

Just this week I've gotten these:
Old Lady: You two would make such a cute couple!
Asian Guy: Work hard and get better job, make money, get girl.
Wangster: Just get it over with and F**K her already dude.

TooShyShy

Originally Posted by SickJoke
-Leaning towards you
-Getting close to you
-Touching you
-Giggling with you
-Smiling at you
-Complimenting you
-Using nicknames for you

Let me just add..

-Goes out of their way to be near/walk by you (when they clearly don't need to be there)
-Says hello almost everytime/if not everytime they see you
-Stares at you from afar when they think you or anyone else hasn't noticed
-Asks "How are you?'' or "Hows your day going?" (shows concern for you)
-Gives you things; cards, gifts, etc.

**This may apply mostly to men but i know i have done these things to show a shy guy i care as well....

Last edited:

SalemEdgerton1

Originally Posted by SickJoke
-Leaning towards you
-Getting close to you
-Touching you
-Giggling with you
-Smiling at you
-Complimenting you
-Using nicknames for you

Let me just add..

-Goes out of their way to be near/walk by you (when they clearly don't need to be there)
-Says hello almost everytime/if not everytime they see you
-Stares at you from afar when they think you or anyone else hasn't noticed
-Asks "How are you?'' or "Hows your day going?" (shows concern for you)
-Gives you things; cards, gifts, etc.

**This may apply mostly to men but i know i have done these things to show a shy guy i care as well....

What about changing seats in a lecture hall to the point of sitting in your row, literally three seats away from you?

licorice

Yes,no one is worth getting to know if they choose to dismiss you before giving things a chance based on initial behaviors/etc...Alot of people have perhaps missed great opportunities with certain individuals cause they assumed too much,or were in such a rush for a connection...People seem to want immediate gratification these days,if they only knew that the best things in life dont come easy nor fast....

Jay Cataldo

I wish finding a match were as simple as finding a shy girl I was attracted to, but it's not. The problem here is I am not only shy and socially anxious, but I am doing poorly in life as well. I have a minimum wage job, no college education or prospects, and no relationship experience or social status. I come in contact with very few people, only co workers and then customers (who can see me from a distance across the store), and other drivers on the road (one of the worst places for me). My chances of finding a good match are slim to none. I look at it this way. Half of my 40 coworkers may be females (20 matches), a third of those are within my age bracket (~7 matches), maybe only a fourth of those are single (~2), already down to 2 girls without factoring in anything to do with looks, personality and of course similarities. I'm a ****ing weirdo for typing all this stupid shit. What a waste.

Wow. Self-deprecate much??

PJS... if you keep looking for reasons to back up your excuses why you'll never succeed, you will find them everywhere. I suggest looking for reasons to back up the fact that achieving your goals may, in fact, be possible.

And this "I'm a ****ing weirdo for typing all this stupid shit. What a waste." is a problem. You really need to knock that shit off. If you have a question or comment you can say what's on your mind without putting yourself down. I know I'm being hard on you, but I can't stand when people talk that way about themselves. Start at least pretending that your self-esteem is through the roof and good things will start to happen. Fake it till you make it, brotha.

And take a look at Licorice's comment below on self-loathing.

Yeah I have the hard way and now granted it's better than it was, but it took me a while to really set apart what was truly me and what wasn't. Online chatting's really helped make this not happen because for some reason I feel 1000x more comfortable to be honest and just be myself, even though I have a harder time do the same in person.

Yeah, online chatting also helped me become more comfortable conversing, but the confidence you pick up doesn't seem to translate well to the real world. At some point, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and force yourself to push through awkward face-to-face convo after awkward f-t-f convo until your brain learns how to communicate in an authentic manner. It's nothing more than a skill that you can learn just like anything else.

The social phobic gentleman that I dated not too long ago did nothing but put himself down from the start and Im sorry but I still wanted to proceed getting to know him,however theres only so much one can take with all the self loathing and to try to bring someone up all the time is exhausting...And there goes the corny cliche saying,you have to love yourself first and foremost,but its true...One can only hide for so long till the real person comes out,so why be a phony from the start and waste everyones time,well thats just my opinion...PJS its not a waste,do you think there are no women out there in the same boat as you,well i bet there is!

Well, I think it's great that you tried hard to be accepting of his attitude and still try to get to know him. I think that most girls wouldn't be so tolerant. Honestly, you seem like a really cool and very sweet person and it's nice to know there are women out there who think like you do. I'm sure a lot of guys on this board are really appreciative of your comments.

And I really do mean this so please don't think I'm trying to get into your virtual panties... I already have too many Gilfs in my harem and no available slots in my schedule with which to accommodate you. :D

What about changing seats in a lecture hall to the point of sitting in your row, literally three seats away from you?

I don't think that counts unless she came over and sat in your lap.

People seem to want immediate gratification these days,if they only knew that the best things in life dont come easy nor fast....

So not true. I'm fast AND easy and my grandma told me I'm God's gift to women. ;)

TooShyShy

Sure changing chairs to be near you, closer to you could be..what other signs are there..i think there is usually more than one sign and they happen often.

Having a hard time looking at one another (2 shy people) is another sign....shyness, nervousness, blushing, etc.

licorice

I appreciate that Jay and yes I can be more tolerant with someone if they have had a profound affect on me,not many have though...I suppose its the angle they come at me with,perhaps not the typical one..Call me crazy but I happen to like to be respected and have someone take the time to get to know me as a person and not just another conquest..I have been involved with both types of men,and hopefully I learned something...Both shy fellows I came across wanted to take things slowly and not jump into bed so quickly,one of which i had the 4 year relationship with even to the point of engagement...Unfortunately it didnt work out for reasons other than shyness..And Im so disappointed to not be old enough to be inducted into your GILF hall of shame,haha...

Jay Cataldo

Call me crazy but I happen to like to be respected and have someone take the time to get to know me as a person and not just another conquest.

:eek: Shocking! I'm appalled... and so disappointed.

And Im so disappointed to not be old enough to be inducted into your GILF hall of shame,haha...

I know how badly you crave your very own hall of shame trophy. We can try to work something out but I have a feeling that Gertrude and Mabel are gonna get catty. I don't want you to end up like poor Rihanna. ::(:

licorice

Its not Gertrude or Mabel that Im worried about it,its that Ruth,she has always had daggers in her eyes for me...Oh and Helen too...Hah,now I have quite a selection of names to choose from if I ever have a daughter...Sad thing is Rhianna went back to him,correct? Love,boy does it make people do foolish things sometimes..I am guilty as charged for that on many occasions in my past...Again all life lessons I view them as,try to see even the negative things positively,well I try at least,geez...

SalemEdgerton1

Yeah, online chatting also helped me become more comfortable conversing, but the confidence you pick up doesn't seem to translate well to the real world. At some point, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and force yourself to push through awkward face-to-face convo after awkward f-t-f convo until your brain learns how to communicate in an authentic manner. It's nothing more than a skill that you can learn just like anything else.

Yeah and college has really forced me to do that, though it's kinda a hit or miss so far. It was really hard last year but I've gotten a lot better at it since then. Granted I still trip over my words like crazy and say stupid stuff, but some progress is better than none I guess.

Jay Cataldo

Its not Gertrude or Mabel that Im worried about it,its that Ruth,she has always had daggers in her eyes for me...Oh and Helen too...Hah,now I have quite a selection of names to choose from if I ever have a daughter...Sad thing is Rhianna went back to him,correct? Love,boy does it make people do foolish things sometimes..I am guilty as charged for that on many occasions in my past...Again all life lessons I view them as,try to see even the negative things positively,well I try at least,geez...

Ok... here's the deal. It's a no brainer that before you can reach Gilf status, you have to first become a Milf. So we must prepare you for motherhood asap. We're gonna get you one of those fake babies that you had to carry around for freshman health/sexuality class (do they still call it that?) that wets itself and cries 22 hours a day.

Of course, I'll be the absentee father, so you're all on your own. And don't you dare hit me up for virtual child support or I'll go all Chris Brown on your ass.

So what should we name our baby girl? I'm thinking either Velma or Matilda. The only prob is that none of the boys will ever wanna go near her. This will be great for her father and his massive ulcer, but poor mommy won't be receiving her invitation to join the Gilf club anytime soon. ::(:

Yeah and college has really forced me to do that, though it's kinda a hit or miss so far. It was really hard last year but I've gotten a lot better at it since then. Granted I still trip over my words like crazy and say stupid stuff, but some progress is better than none I guess.

Everybody trips over their words occasionally. Sucks to be human, doesn't it? :)

You have a great attitude. Keep moving forward and you'll be surprised to discover what you're capable of.

SalemEdgerton1

Everybody trips over their words occasionally. Sucks to be human, doesn't it? :)

You have a great attitude. Keep moving forward and you'll be surprised to discover what you're capable of.

Yeah true though I tend to have a hard time with it when I really need to express myself correctly. So far, that attitude really hasn't done anything for helping me get into a relationship, but I guess it could really go somewhere if I let it.

licorice

Haha Jay,you have quite an imagination,thats a good thing!Sorry but I forgot to feed my cat yesterday so not sure if Im ready for MILFhood which is a prerequisite to GILFhood...Looks like the odds are stacked against pal.....The name Velma wouldnt work for me anyway cause I would always be thinking of Scooby Doo and I would hate to dress her in orange sweaters everyday...Ok we are both officially retarded,hah...Ok back to the topic here...Salem,Jay was correct,attitude is very important,a wise man once told me that attitude is everything and he was right..Not to say that its so easy to just change it but if you make a conscious effort to try and handle things differently as opposed to always feeling like life sucks,and poor me,then perhaps you'll be on the right track..Well,those are my thoughts and I cant say that everyday I walk around with a big smile on my face,holding a lolipop,but I try to have a more positive attitude and it definitely helps..