Shyness and Inexperience: A deadly Combo?

SalemEdgerton1

I don't know about you guys, but for me taking a chance with a relationship seems to almost never work out because the girl seems put off by both me being really shy all the time and not really feeling comfortable with certain things, but the fact that I have little to no experience with any forms of intimacy or relationships. Is shyness and inexperience a fatal mixture that is pretty much guaranteed to screw up any chances you have with a serious relationship unless it's with someone who's shy and inexperienced too?

PhantomPod

I sure think so. I really feel like I just want a boyfriend who is shy and inexperienced like me. Because if I was with someone who was experienced I would feel soooo intimidated and just become even more shy.

SalemEdgerton1

Me too honestly. The two girls I mustered up the courage to ask out seemed to be too much for me and while they seemed to be okay with the fact I was shy, didn't really understand truly. I believe that the only girl that would work for me would be a quiet, shy girl because we'd be able to relate well and could help each other cope with it. I don't know...just feels like the only possible way it'll ever work for me.

licorice

That sounds understandable that you would feel more comfortable around someone of the same nature,who would "get you"...The only question is who would get things going between the two of you if youre both apprehensive? Perhaps that would just happen in time...

SalemEdgerton1

Good point. I kinda think that if that was the case, then I would feel more comfortable to take the first step because I would know she'd be able to relate well and I guess I'd feel like we were equals more so than with other people if that makes sense.

licorice

That makes complete sense,if you feel youre "equal"and neither one of you are out of each others leagues then that would make it alot easier I suppose...No one likes to feel intimidated or not good enough...Problem is that so many people assume things about other people that isnt necessarily true and they dont give people enough of a chance...

Jay Cataldo

It's difficult for girls to accept shyness and timidity in guys because they are usually attracted to masculine strength and a dominant presence. Plus, most girls have been heavily socialized for most of their lives so it's tough for them to understand what a guy with SA is going through.

Your best bet is to work on getting over your shyness as opposed to throwing your hands in the air and giving up. It's safe to say that the kind of girl who will settle for weakness in her man is not the kind of girl you'll be truly happy with.

licorice

Then that is their loss for not giving the shy guy a chance..I was involved in a 4 year relationship with a guy who was very shy at first then came around,the relationship was great after we felt comfortable together...He was always the quiet/reserved guy of the bunch and that never deterred me..We are all weak in some way,to write someone off because you equate shyness with weakness may in fact be some womens choice but not all...Sorry but I just dont agree with the last sentence you wrote Jay... I was somewhat shy growing up but I have come out of it for the most part and i used to get the negative comments from my very out-going family,and I used to say what the hell is so wrong with being shy!

SalemEdgerton1

I've kinda thought that way Jay and I think that's what's really hindered me because I made the whole "curing" shyness and social anxiety as the sure fire way to solve my relationship problems. You can work on coping with anxiety and that kind of thing with social situations, but it's always there, at least it is for me.

The very fact that there are a lot of girl members on this site makes me think not all girls are like that. I think that "weakness" can become a strength if your significant other is very shy and anxious like you. It's like teamwork really. I honestly believe that that kind of teamwork is what can really help someone deal with shyness and can foster real love for another person. But I agree with what you said as typically, that seems to be the case, but it's not always like that as licorice said.

TooShyShy

Ohhh they exist..believe me they do.

Honestly, you just have to be intune enough to know when one is right there in front of you and NOT push her away!!!! Shy girls are around feeling and wanting all the ame things you all do.

The important thing to kmnow is when she sends out those i am waiting for you signals, you need to open up and accept her as well..despite all your fears.

For me, its about giving yourself and women LIKE YOURSELVES a chance..forget the bold, hot, raunchy women..they are not going to go for you..and you are not for them in reality!!!

Go for the pretty, sweet, innocent, shy, sensitive, ones..especially when they want you and show you that.

licorice

Those shy,inexperienced girls are looking for you and you are looking for them it would seem...There must be some kind of dating website for strictly shy people that you can try?

licorice

Good point TooShy,look for positive signs from people that seem shy,sensitive,sweet,caring and innocent....They are out there,and perhaps they wish you would approach them...

Jay Cataldo

Then that is their loss for not giving the shy guy a chance..I was involved in a 4 year relationship with a guy who was very shy at first then came around,the relationship was great after we felt comfortable together...He was always the quiet/reserved guy of the bunch and that never deterred me..We are all weak in some way,to write someone off because you equate shyness with weakness may in fact be some womens choice but not all...Sorry but I just dont agree with the last sentence you wrote Jay... I was somewhat shy growing up but I have come out of it for the most part and i used to get the negative comments from my very out-going family,and I used to say what the hell is so wrong with being shy!

Quiet/reserved and shy are two different things.

shy:
1. bashful; retiring.
2. easily frightened away; timid.

I think it's great that you gave your ex a chance but you said he "came around" which means he changed his initial behavior. Again, it's great that you gave him a chance but would you have stayed with him if he didn't "come around?" Maybe, maybe not. I'm speaking in generalities and there are always exceptions.

And believe me, I'm happy there are some women out there who are attracted to shy guys. But generally, women will be more attracted to a socially confident guy who is not afraid of others. Again, there are always exceptions but why shouldn't a guy work on his issues so he can end up attracting a larger pool of women?

And yes, we are all weak in some ways and we should have compassion for each others flaws, but I don't think we should ever stop working on ourselves. And unfortunately, it is much more socially acceptable for a woman to be shy than a man. I love shy girls.. I find them adorable. But most girls will not feel the same about a man who is equally shy. Again... I said MOST.

Btw, if you're looking for another shy guy, maybe I can play matchmaker and set you up with some of the dudes on this board. You down? ;)

I've kinda thought that way Jay and I think that's what's really hindered me because I made the whole "curing" shyness and social anxiety as the sure fire way to solve my relationship problems. You can work on coping with anxiety and that kind of thing with social situations, but it's always there, at least it is for me.

The very fact that there are a lot of girl members on this site makes me think not all girls are like that. I think that "weakness" can become a strength if your significant other is very shy and anxious like you. It's like teamwork really. I honestly believe that that kind of teamwork is what can really help someone deal with shyness and can foster real love for another person. But I agree with what you said as typically, that seems to be the case, but it's not always like that as licorice said.

I agree... it's not always the case but why not give yourself the greatest chance of attracting a quality woman by working on yourself until you become the best person you can be? I mean, some women will still be attracted to you if you weigh 125lbs, wear ratty clothes and never wash your hair, but wouldn't it make more sense to work on your appearance and demeanor in order to attract a larger percentage of women?

But where do we find these shy, inexperienced girls?

You can join the Physics Club. Kidding... why don't you look on meetup.com and see if there is a social anxiety meetup group in your area? Otherwise, I think we might be able to set you up with Licorice. ::p:

licorice

Haha Jay,I dont think there is anything wrong with wanting to improve upon one self and youre correct about women going for more for the more confident types in general, I just wanted say there are excecptions...I developed strong feelings for my ex,there is no way I would have left him for not coming out of his shell,I find that endearing as opposed to the "ladies man"types of guy who come on to every woman that crosses their path..As I said i used to be rather shy growing up so I can somewhat relate,and I know that when I was around someone enough and became comfortable after a while the shyness melted away,and I believe that is the case with many(not all)shy people its just a matter of getting comfortable around people,unfortunatley youre not always given the opportunity to do that if someone is so fast to dismiss you...We all have "issues",its its great to be actively trying to work on them..I am a little too old for some of the dudes here(34),but from what I read there are some on here in their 30's as well...

Jay Cataldo

Haha Jay,I dont think there is anything wrong with wanting to improve upon one self and youre correct about women going for more for the more confident types in general, I just wanted say there are excecptions...I developed strong feelings for my ex,there is no way I would have left him for not coming out of his shell,I find that endearing as opposed to the "ladies man"types of guy who come on to every woman that crosses their path..As I said i used to be rather shy growing up so I can somewhat relate,and I know that when I was around someone enough and became comfortable after a while the shyness melted away,and I believe that is the case with many(not all)shy people its just a matter of getting comfortable around people,unfortunatley youre not always given the opportunity to do that if someone is so fast to dismiss you...We all have "issues",its its great to be actively trying to work on them..I am a little too old for some of the dudes here(34),but from what I read there are some on here in their 30's as well...

It's cool that we're on the same page. :)

I'll be 31 in a couple of weeks, but sadly, you are much too young for me. I'm sure you're a wonderful girl, but I kinda have a thing for GILFS. ;)

How about we find you a nice 19 year old in need of a sugar momma? Let's round up 3 contestants to compete for you and the winner gets a virtual date via webcam or something equally asinine. Guys... who's in?

licorice

Too bad Im no "cougar'as they like to call older women preying on young boys,I happen to prefer men a little older myself,maybe not GILFS,hah,but nonetheless I am not interested in being anyones teacher...And thats cute about the contest,but relax over there Chuck Woolery,haha...

Jay Cataldo

Too bad Im no "cougar'as they like to call older women preying on young boys,I happen to prefer men a little older myself,maybe not GILFS,hah,but nonetheless I am not interested in being anyones teacher...And thats cute about the contest,but relax over there Chuck Woolery,haha...

lol You are waaaay too young to be a cougar. Silly girl. And I always considered myself more of a Chris Hardwick than a Chuck Woolery, but I digress...

Anyways... Sorry guys. Tried my best. Licorice, think of all the poor young guys crying their hearts out right now. Way to give shy guys a chance. ::p:

SalemEdgerton1

Thy shalt slay thine own heart for thee licorice lol. After like 6 years difference it just seems to get weird...at least it was for a friend of mine. *shivers* God that guy was a tool.

Jay, you couldn't be Chuck Woolery, you not almost 70 :p....at least I don't think you are.

I really think change is great as long as you don't change your identity in the process. Like, I have a bad habit of more or less conforming to fit in and be liked by certain people and I did that for the two girls I went on dates with, but I think it really muddied who I am as a person and made things worse really. I'd like to think relationships are trial and error, but when they rarely happen or end very quickly, it's easy to get discouraged I guess.

Ubersonic

The important thing to know is when she sends out those i am waiting for you signals
There's this gal I work with. Other people say she's into me, but I don't see it. Has SA made me a signal retard!? How do these signals manifest themselves??? I must know!