Seeing somebody you Know?

zlench

If you are ever out someone which isn't much for me and you see someone you know do you try to avoid them. Yesterday when I was out I saw somebody from work and I walked back in the opposite direction so that they would avoid seeing so that I could avoid them talking to me. How bad is that!

Myself

Yes. Especially if I don't like them, I don't walk off in an obvious way, I avoid eye contact and walk in a different direction.

If it's someone I like, it depends on if I'm shy or not. lol.

Rodney

Yeah I do this too, I just pretend I never saw them... but I try to avoid this from happening by going places I know people I know probably won't be and when I have to go to the mall I never walk through the food court area because its too open and I don't like all those people that are eating looking at me :p.

WelshOne

If it's someone I know presently, I usually just smile and wave. If it's someone from my past (aquaintance from highschool, etc) I definately try and avoid them - so long as I can do so without it being obvious to them! I try not to come across as rude.

this_portrait

If it's someone who knows me, then yes, I usually try to avoid them. If they don't know me, then I don't get as anxious.

Mikefly

I might say high but i don't like to small talk so ill avoid or just acknowledge them, pretty simple.

danstelter

Yes, I remember when this used to happen to me, and it still does to some degree. However, after working on my anxiety for several years, I am know able to say a tentative "hi" to people that I know, but not that I know well. This is much better and much less awkward, even though it's not where I want to be. It keeps getting better if you keep working at it is all I can say, and it does make life much more enjoyable to take risks and let people get to know you!

Felgen

If you are ever out someone which isn't much for me and you see someone you know do you try to avoid them. Yesterday when I was out I saw somebody from work and I walked back in the opposite direction so that they would avoid seeing so that I could avoid them talking to me. How bad is that!

I do that all the time when I'm in no mood to talk. :D

Pineapple

Yeah I do this too, I just pretend I never saw them... but I try to avoid this from happening by going places I know people I know probably won't be and when I have to go to the mall I never walk through the food court area because its too open and I don't like all those people that are eating looking at me :p.

That sounds exactly like what I do. I feel kind of bad for doing it but I really don't like small talk. ::eek::

TheLostCause

I avoid people when i see them. I don't really want to be asked questions about life to be honest, and i don't want to hear people talk about how good they're doing. I tend to keep myself to myself.

JCS008

This happends quite often to me. I remember back when I was in school, if I ever saw a teacher outside of classes, I'd always try my best to avoid them and not make eye contact. But I'm sure that's natural for most students.

These days, if I'm not in a good mood or just want to go about my business, I'll just avoid someone, if possible. Last month I spent most of my weekdays at a local library doing my job search on my laptop. I specifically went to a library a while away from my area so I WOULD NOT have the issue of running into someone I know. But of course, I end up seeing an old friend there. I saw her, but I don't think she ever saw me. She ended up there at least 5-6 different times, and I just avoided her. Not because I didn't like her, but I just didn't feel up to answer any personal questions that most people ask when you see someone.

sleepysparrow

Yesterday when I was out I saw somebody from work and I walked back in the opposite direction so that they would avoid seeing so that I could avoid them talking to me. How bad is that!

I have done that many times. I avoid seeing people I know like the plague. I am really not fond of small talk, and I know they are going to ask me about my life, and I don't know how to explain, "My life is boring, I do nothing interesting all day, I have no friends, I feel depressed, and stay up all night crying from loneliness.." Yeah, they just wouldn't get it.

BlackKids

I've done all of the above. I used to feel ashamed/embarrassed about who I am.

A few weeks ago I went into the bank and my old friend was in front of me. I seriously wanted to run out and hide until he had gone. But I actually enjoyed catching up with him.

If people don't accept me then whatever. I know I'm a decent person and I'm not stressing if they dont want anything to do with me. No matter how popular and liked you are theres always going to be people talking badly about ya.

timidhorse

When I see someone that looks familiar, it's like caution signs flash in my head. I suddenly leave the premises immediately even though they might see me and think I am weird or like them. It's so embarrassing. Actually I did that once with a teacher I once had, they saw me of course. I hope they didn't think I hated them....

Last edited:

2Crowded

Depends on who it is for me...if its someone that i figure wont ask me for many details about my private life (job situation)i can talk if i run into them...for example my doctor...i ran into her in the supermarket one day it was awkard but kinda nice at same time cause she is real nice to me..I picked up some of my food choices from my cart to show her what all I eat on my self perscribed meal plan lol...but if i have advanced warning it's possible i might avoid anybody other than family members or close reletives...an x boss would be a huge one to avoid for me...cause the job situation question would always come up i figure.."so where are you workin now"

206Raider

depends on the person, some people I avoid like the plague, some people I'll say hi. it's the people who ask where have I been and what have I been up to people that I avoid

ajo86

Yes I do it all the time, also when i've heard people calling my name and I just carry on walking and pretend I can't hear them.