SA is winning this fight

P_Floyd

So heres my problem, last week college started (it's my first year), when I was coming to the college I saw many people (maybe 100+), everyone talking having fun and that had making me nervous.

So what did I? I turned back and went home.

I couldn't stop thinking about that day, so I went to my doctor and she recommended a psychiatrist. I had a talk with the psychiatrist and he recommended some meds.

I started the treatment saturday (taking 2 pills at breakfast, 1 at lunch, 1 at dinner).

Today, I went to the college, I was trying to find my classroom so I asked to the security who works there(nothing bad at this point, everything normal, I wasn't nervous at all)

When I was comming to the classroom "section", guess what, everyone there (like the first day). Panic again, and I left the college and I went home (again).

Right now I don't wanna go to college :( and I don't know what should I do

What should I do? visit the psychiatrist again?

PS: my english sucks, sorry if something is wrong :S

Your english is fine, don't worry about it. Sorry to know you're going through this. I don't have any advice but I wanted to reply anyway cos I'm in the same situation with my school. Maybe you should visit the psychiatrist again. If you don't want to go college now, you can take a break for a few days and go back when you're ready.

Last edited:

MrJones

The first time I went to college I was so freaking nervous.... When I was in my way to the campus on the train I was feeling my heart beating so hard I was terrified, I was sweating more than ever, I could barely breath and I had to get off the train to throw up. And when I arrived there there was a class with even more than 200 people, let's just say it wasn't exactly pleasant.

Now? Everything is fine. Not perfect, but it's okay. I think I just got used to it, maybe you need some time to think of it as routine and to stop caring a bit about it. You know, if it's "normal" to go there it's less terrifying (at least for me).

I can't really give any advice here, but I can say that probably, as in most things in live, it gets better with time :)

P_Floyd

I'm thinking about not going this first week, but I know later I start, worse for me :S

D

deleted #89

The reality is that the more you avoid the situation the more the anxiety will resurface. I know its hard but try not to get yourself in a bad cycle....:)

MrJones

The reality is that the more you avoid the situation the more the anxiety will resurface. I know its hard but try not to get yourself in a bad cycle....:)
That's what I was about to say :p

It's okay not to want to go, it's actually pretty usual, but every day that you don't go to class it gets a little more hard to start going, and I know perfectly what I'm talking about, I've been there.

DeadmanWalking

You've gotta head back; you have a dream, don't you? My first day of college was stressful, but I had a dream and I wasn't going to let anyone or anything stand in my way. Now, it's not so bad; people still don't speak to me, but I don't let it bother me. Just focus on what you want to do in life and don't worry about what everyone else thinks of you. You'll only see them for a while, then you go on to your next semester, most likely never to see them again. Good luck and your English is alright!

Nanita

I understand how that feels, I have dropped out of two educations because it was way too difficult because of anxiety and all.
I can´t give you much advice... I guess if you feel that you can keep trying, maybe it will get better after the first couple of.. months?
I can´t do it myself.

nicole1

You have to know that you don't have to interact with them to the level that they are interacting. I know it's scary as hell. But every time I start a new semester, I stay to myself. I only talk if I have to and with that, I have to practice. I practice by talking to random strangers. I try not to talk in front of big crowds or in class if possible but it will come up. This caused me to drop classes more than once...which is why I'm super behind now. But even if you don't do it in college, you'll have to do it on the work place. And work place people, for me, tend to be more ******* like than college people.

nicole1

From my previous post, what I'm trying to say is, stay to yourself until you're ready to talk to someone. Make it about you and not about them. Ease into it. If missing that first week helps, then do so. Just find a way. It will be the same with a job if you don't go to college.

Kiwong

Is there a campus counsellor that you can talk to? They might be able to plan something with you to make this transition easier. Perhaps someone, like a mentor or buddy, could go and sit with you until it feels easier. Arriving before anyone else might work.

P_Floyd

The reality is that the more you avoid the situation the more the anxiety will resurface.

That's what my psychiatrist said when I asked if would be better I miss some days

I guess if you feel that you can keep trying, maybe it will get better after the first couple of.. months?

I think I will try to go next thursday, because I got a friend who have the same schedule as me. Maybe it will be easier if I go with him

From my previous post, what I'm trying to say is, stay to yourself until you're ready to talk to someone. Make it about you and not about them. Ease into it. If missing that first week helps, then do so. Just find a way. It will be the same with a job if you don't go to college.

I don't wanna talk to someone, I just wanna go to my class quiet and don't care if is there a bunch of people.

I know how this is...it took me a while to really ease into college. Some days I show up at class 20 mins early to hide in my inconspicuous corner in the room so I don't have to walk in front of the entire class.

Reflect and make sure that going to college is what you really want. If you didn't have social anxiety, would you still want to go? If so, remind yourself that you're in college for an education, not to socialize with other people. I agree with what nicole said about your level of interaction - if you're not prepared to immerse yourself into a large crowd to socialize, don't. This is your time, your money and it's all about what you want to do with it. :)

The problem is... I only can get in the classroom when the teacher is there. Coming 20 mins early won't help, I need to wait anyway, the wait time until class start is awkward.

And yes, I really want go to college.

Is there a campus counsellor that you can talk to? They might be able to plan something with you to make this transition easier. Perhaps someone, like a mentor or buddy, could go and sit with you until it feels easier. Arriving before anyone else might work.

I don't know anything in my college, I just know where are the classrooms nothing more.

Thank's everyone :)

P_Floyd

Failure II

After my first try at going to the college (last week), I went to my psychiatrist (again) and we had a talk.

So today, I tryed again, and before I leave the car I started crying because I was affraid of everyone who was at the college.

Another college day, another fail.

SA 2- Me 0

lostinadream

No one is thinking about you. Its all in your head. They probably didn't see you comming. You are destroying yoursef. Only you can change that and its actually as easy as putting one foot in front of the other.

Silatuyok

Failure II

After my first try at going to the college (last week), I went to my psychiatrist (again) and we had a talk.

So today, I tryed again, and before I leave the car I started crying because I was affraid of everyone who was at the college.

Another college day, another fail.

SA 2- Me 0

Keep trying.

Blabla..

SA is crushing me .

I get anxious and nauseated now just by watching movies , thinking of public places and people i used to hang with , i'm watching videos of people i know on youtube and it makes me feel nervous , like the whole crowd would look back at the screen and laugh at me , this is starting to get ridiculous , i can't even take the garbage out , what the **** am i gonna do

TheRadicalAnxiousLefty

I'm thinking about not going this first week, but I know later I start, worse for me :S

I cannot emphasize this enough: do your lectures online. I repeat: DO YOUR LECTURES ONLINE. Do not procrastinate.

I made the blindingly bad mistake of being so scared of uni, that I didn't even do homework, because it made me think of how terrible and awful uni was, and how much I wanted to go home. It is a mistake I regret. Horribly regret. Just put all thoughts of uni out of your head when you do homework and listen to lectures.