Relationships and Social Anxiety

Pink_Paula

I think every relationship i have had has ended because of my SA. I tend to push people away, i close myself off and that's hard for someone to deal with, i wish i wasn't like that because as long as i am, i don't think i'll ever have a lasting relationship.

jbeenthere

I've never been comfortable enough to get into relationships I've wanted. just the fear of having to control or cover up my anxiety was enough to avoid relationships. or the person not understanding or judging me if I told her about my mental disturbances. now i have kids I'm kind of stuck.

SociallyAwkwardAndShy

My girlfriend broke up with me a while back because I found it hard to do certain things/ Be as active socially as we'd ideally like.

That was completely down to me having SA. That's not to suggest that she said She was leaving me because of SA, just because of our life-style becoming isolated (due to my SA).

I decided to use it as a motivation to change things, and started forcing myself to do more and more. It's really difficult but if you just bear in mind that you're doing something that could change your life then it's worth it.
Plus it distracts you from the pain of the break-up.

I ended up getting back together with my girlfriend some time later and if anything, it has made me a little less active again.
I need to keep reminding myself not to slip back into old habits.

If I could offer you any advice it would be to use this as a spring-board to start forcing yourself to try new things and push yourself into social situations more.

In time maybe you'll look back on the break-up as a positive catalyst.

In the short-term, you just need to keep busy to avoid dwelling on the pain.

Best of luck! :)

Thank you. That is just what I'm trying to do. I probably won't be getting back with my boyfriend because he did break up with me because of my SA and then used it against me to make me seem like some mental case to his family. I am Slowly trying to deal with social situations little by little. It's so hard, I know i can do it though. My only downside is that i feel that i should probably see a Psychiatrist to properly get diagnosed and get put on medication. I'm just worried it will make me become sluggish and not myself. I'm sorry i went off topic a little. But thank you once again. :)

Krista

Oh dear, I've had plenty of friendships, relationships, guys I've been interested in, all end from SA. I'm not too good with being alone sometimes and my feelings get hurt easily so I didn't take it all that well, even though I was aware it was really my own fault.

Since though I've gotten a lot better about handling criticism, rejection though I don't get as much of that when I'm more open with people. It's extremely hard trying not to care about what the person you like thinks of you or keeping all your worries in check during a relationship.

SociallyAwkwardAndShy

Oh believe me I will keep everyone posted. I wish I would have found this forum years ago. This is the one place I don't feel like a basket case.

megalon

I've never had any relationship end because of SA. The reason being that because of SA, no relationship has ever had a beginning.

ashley90

the process of breaking up took like 6 months
and he was such a dick put me through hell,
stalked me, guilt tripped me..
it would take forever to explain haha but yeaah it made me a messs

lyricalliaisons

When it comes to romantic relationships, I've never had one due to my social anxiety & agoraphobia. As for other types of relationships, the few friends I've had throughout my life & the relationships I've had with family members have all come to an end because of my SA.

Kustamogen

Banned
as Ive stated awhile ago....my gf and I are having MAJOR issues because of my panic disorder....its hard for her to always do things by herself and make time to see me as much as Id like......could be 10+ yrs down the drain due to this god damn disorder! :(

Remus

Staff member
my last relationship was what made my anxiety so bad

I think my first relationship in my 20's was like that, very abusive, my good nature was taken advantage of by someone who was an emotional bully, so instead of a relationship being this "cure" to SA (Not that I thought it would be) it just added to my issues and feelings of low self worth

Nack

Banned
Its even harder when both the individual have SA or some sort of mental disorder. I know some people say its easier, but i disagree with them.

recluse

I've never been in a relationship but i'm in one of those ''don't know where this is leading'' situations with a girl i met online. I think i let my insecurities/low self esteem/inferiority complex stop me from expecting that any girl will be remotely interested in me.

dr.ksa

i don't have a freinds
i think no body loves me because of that i cann't hold with any relationships :)