rate the last film you watched

Phoenixx

Atypical Season 4 - 7/10

Not really sure what to think of this season. It had its highs but felt it was a little all over the place. That tends to be the theme with original Netflix series. Run them for only a couple or so years, start out great, then try to cram in as much stuff as possible to try to tie lose ends and end on a mediocre note. It's getting to be a little old and makes me not want to even bother watching anymore original Netflix series.

Despite that, this show at least ended on a bittersweet note. Sam's ending was good, and his journey was written well. Zahid's was just weird, like they didn't know what to do, but I guess fitting for him regardless. Casey's story this whole season was a mess, and I partly understand why, but her character development turned her into a dick like her father and drove me nuts. It's also like they didn't know what to do with her father either, so they gave him a little traumatic experience but otherwise turned him into a giant dick for no reason. Elsa was also still annoying as usual and just played her usual overbearing mom character.

Okay so overall I really didn't care for many of the characters in this show, especially after this season, but the show itself was still decent. 🤷

Phoenixx

Beastars Season 2 - 9/10

Oh man have I been waiting for this season for a while! Superb animation and fight scenes as usual, great storyline and plot of course. Was hoping for a bit more drama at the end, but did offer a good ironic twist so there's that. I really just cannot get enough of this series and I seriously think I'm going to eventually buy the manga to read.

Phoenixx

Luca - 7/10

Cute simple film based on Italian culture. Visuals were superb as usual for Pixar, with vibrant colors and all the little details. I loved the credits too as it showed little glimpses of everyone's life afterwards, all in hand drawn scenes, and the after credits scene was of course quirky and odd given the character featured. I was kind of disappointed with how things ended story wise as I felt it was rather abrupt and not as fleshed out as it could've been. I also felt the characters were fairly flat compared to other Pixar films. But considering that much of this movie was produced by those working at home during the pandemic, it's still impressive in that regard. Overall, absolutely worth a watch.

Phoenixx

Owl House Season 1 - 8/10

I finally got around to subscribing to Disney+ and this was the first animated series I decided to watch. As with all fantasy-themed shows, I loved this one too. It was cute, funny, and for a season finale for a show geared towards older kids/teens it actually gave me goose bumps. That final witch's duel scene was fabulous for a cartoon with not many extensive details in the art style. Looking forward to watching season 2, as I hear -- although I'm trying to stay away from too many spoilers! -- the story becomes much more fleshed out with each character. Disappointed to also see that season 3, which is currently in production, will be the last. I just hope it wraps up well.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Guardians of the galaxy 5/10
Guardians of the galaxy 5.5 /10

Avengers age of ultron 7/10
Really enjoyed this. Laughed my ass off when the avengers were trying to lift Thor's hammer 😂

I watched Endgame recently and wanted to fully understand what had happened leading up to it, so I started from the beginning. And yes Phoenixx, I understand why you like the Hulk now. ( I remembered watching him as a lad and it just looked weird lol). Much cooler these days.
But what I don't understand is how did Robin Sparkles
end up as a shield agent?

Phoenixx

Mulan (2020 Remake) - 4/10

I remember when I heard that they were redoing this remake, I was actually pretty excited. I was intrigued by how Disney was going to make a live action remake of their animated classic. Seeing the trailer a few years ago too, I thought it looked pretty interesting. Finally got around to actually watching it tonight and it was an absolute disappointment.

I don't mind that there wasn't any of the music from the original animated film, or that Mushu (and other memorable characters from the animated film) wasn't a character in this. I'm perfectly fine with that. However, they took a whole detour with this film and isn't even comparable to the animated version. Hell, it was like watching a whole new movie that tried really hard to be relevant and copy a Mulan-esque kind of film (and props to casting for actually not white-washing anything), yet had no budget and a measly film crew. I don't know what happened to this film, but there was way too much CGI usage that wasn't even good CGI. All the costumes each character wore, included background characters that served no purpose but to add an element to surroundings, looked cheap. Most of the characters were so flat, the most emotion I saw through the whole film was at the end when Mulan reunited with her family. Nothing in this movie made sense to me. Why was there a witch? What was the point? What is with the main villain that's not Shan Yu? Why aren't these Mongolians? Where are these other people from and why are they trying to overthrow the empire? Just because this dude's father was killed by the emperor? Why does Mulan have a sister? (This served zero purpose for the whole film) Why is their village just an extended circular building with a main center? So many questions with no answers.

4 stars given because 1) The landscape of this movie was the real winner -- absolutely beautiful scenery. 2) Ming Na-Wen cameo! 'Nuff said. 3) All Asian cast. 4) Little snippets of background instrumental versions of the original songs from the animated film.

If you haven't watched this, you're really not missing much. Hell, it might actually be best if you skipped it.

PugofCrydee

I remember when I heard that they were redoing this remake, I was actually pretty excited. I was intrigued by how Disney was going to make a live action remake of their animated classic. Seeing the trailer a few years ago too, I thought it looked pretty interesting. Finally got around to actually watching it tonight and it was an absolute disappointment.

I don't mind that there wasn't any of the music from the original animated film, or that Mushu (and other memorable characters from the animated film) wasn't a character in this. I'm perfectly fine with that. However, they took a whole detour with this film and isn't even comparable to the animated version. Hell, it was like watching a whole new movie that tried really hard to be relevant and copy a Mulan-esque kind of film (and props to casting for actually not white-washing anything), yet had no budget and a measly film crew. I don't know what happened to this film, but there was way too much CGI usage that wasn't even good CGI. All the costumes each character wore, included background characters that served no purpose but to add an element to surroundings, looked cheap. Most of the characters were so flat, the most emotion I saw through the whole film was at the end when Mulan reunited with her family. Nothing in this movie made sense to me. Why was there a witch? What was the point? What is with the main villain that's not Shan Yu? Why aren't these Mongolians? Where are these other people from and why are they trying to overthrow the empire? Just because this dude's father was killed by the emperor? Why does Mulan have a sister? (This served zero purpose for the whole film) Why is their village just an extended circular building with a main center? So many questions with no answers.

4 stars given because 1) The landscape of this movie was the real winner -- absolutely beautiful scenery. 2) Ming Na-Wen cameo! 'Nuff said. 3) All Asian cast. 4) Little snippets of background instrumental versions of the original songs from the animated film.

If you haven't watched this, you're really not missing much. Hell, it might actually be best if you skipped it.
Yep totally agree. I almost went to the cinema to see this, I'm so glad I didn't. I watched this for a good 40 minutes before I couldn't stand it any longer.

F0AM

I think chinese audience is very dissapointed with the film. For what i've heard to these audience, the movie is not set in the correct era, adds stuff like the witch which is not even in the original legend nor in the animated version, a poor and missanderstood usage of "chi", etc. But the worst apparently is the message, Mulan was a regular woman without powers, chi or being "the chosen one". She's just a girl who wanna save her father from going to war.

At the same time the message is that even tho there are some differences between men and women, these are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to acomplishing the same goal.

Btw i read the spanish translation of the ballad and i found this one. There are minor differences between translations but this one rhymes so is quite nice:

Sigh after sigh she sadly sighs
__While weaving near the door—
No sound of spinning loom that flies
__Just Mulan feeling poor.

Go ask her whom she thinks about,
__What boy is in her heart.
She says, “There’s none I think about,
__There’s no boy in my heart.

“Last night I saw the army’s list
__Of those the Khan has picked.
On all twelve draft lists that exist
__My father’s name is ticked.

“My father has no grown-up son
__Who can to battle race.
Once buying horse and saddle are done,
__I’ll take my father’s place.”

She buys a fine steed in the East,
__A bridle in the South,
A saddle blanket in the West,
__A long whip in the North.

At dawn, to parents bids farewell,
__At dusk, to camp hello;
No sounds of their familiar yell,
__Just Yellow River flow.

At dawn, she leaves the Yellow River,
__At dusk, Black Mountains soar;
No sound of parents calling daughter,
__Just wild horsemen’s roar.

Ten thousand miles for war she goes,
__Through mountain passes flying.
The sentry’s gong on cold wind blows;
__Her iron armor’s shining.

A hundred battles—generals die;
__In ten years, heroes surface
To meet the Emperor on high
__Enthroned in splendid palace.

He holds twelve scrolls that list their deeds,
__Gives thousands of rewards.
The Khan asks Mulan what she needs.
__“No titles fit for lords,”

She says, “To borrow a swift steed
__And ride home I prefer.”
Her parents, hearing of this deed,
__Rush out to welcome her.

When older sister hears the news,
__She dresses, waits, and looks.
When younger brother hears the news,
__The swine and sheep he cooks.

She says, “The chamber door I open
__And sit upon my chair.
My wartime uniform is shaken;
__My old time dress I wear.”

She faces out the window, looking,
__Fixing cloudlike hair,
And turns then to the mirror, hooking
__Yellow flowers there.

Out of the gate she meets the men
__Who’d by her side once fought.
For twelve years Mulan was a man,
__Or so they all had thought!

The male hares’ feet go hop and skip
__And female hares look muddled,
But when they run at a good clip,
__How can’t one get befuddled?

Last edited:

Phoenixx

Yep totally agree. I almost went to the cinema to see this, I'm so glad I didn't. I watched this for a good 40 minutes before I couldn't stand it any longer.
I almost did too. Then the pandemic hit and it was never released here, it went straight to Disney plus and DVD. Almost bought the DVD too and I'm so glad I didn't. Again, I cannot believe how disappointing this film was considering the animated film is one of my Top 5 favorite Disney movies.

Phoenixx

I think chinese audience is very dissapointed with the film. For what i've heard to these audience, the movie is not set in the correct era, adds stuff like the witch which is not even in the original legend nor in the animated version, a poor and missanderstood usage of "chi", etc. But the worst apparently is the message, Mulan was a regular woman without powers, chi or being "the chosen one". She's just a girl who wanna save her father from going to war.

At the same time the message is that even tho there are some differences between men and women, these are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to acomplishing the same goal.

Btw i read the spanish translation of the ballad and i found this one. There are minor differences between translations but this one rhymes so is quite nice.
Yeah I think I heard that too, about China's disappointment in this film. I don't blame them. I thought the whole film didn't even represent who Mulan really was or everything that she did. I feel like they were trying so hard towards showing "female empowerment" by having her fight as a woman and having a female villain counterpart that they completely missed the mark of why and like you said, the irrelevances of gender when coming to fighting for what you desire and value most. The animated film did a much better job at portraying this by a long shot, without having to add in extra meaningless characters.

I really like that ballad too. :)

F0AM

Yeah I think I heard that too, about China's disappointment in this film. I don't blame them. I thought the whole film didn't even represent who Mulan really was or everything that she did. I feel like they were trying so hard towards showing "female empowerment" by having her fight as a woman and having a female villain counterpart that they completely missed the mark of why and like you said, the irrelevances of gender when coming to fighting for what you desire and value most. The animated film did a much better job at portraying this by a long shot, without having to add in extra meaningless characters.

I really like that ballad too. :)
I also love how they removed Mushu because its magical and comedic nature (also Disney's invention) stands away from the original story (which also didnt please China) YET they put a witch with magical skills which isn't either true to the original, and soldiers parkouring Lol

Last edited:

Phoenixx

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings -- 9/10

Apparently it's a Chinese-lore inspired movie weekend for me. Went to my local drive-in theatre last night to watch this and it was amazing! Went into this movie knowing nothing about it other than knowing it was Marvel, no idea about the story, didn't look up reviews or anything. I was really impressed with everything -- cast, story, design, fight scenes, even that soundtrack. 😍 Someone needs to contact the crew who produced Mulan and show them what real costume design is and how martial arts choreography is supposed to be WITHOUT over-editing. 🙄 The fight scenes were obviously edited as they were sped up, and some had added CGI, but it was to fit the style of the movie and the character. You could still tell most of it was done... organically, I guess you could say? Unlike Mulan, even with the over-editing, you could still tell there was assistance with fight scenes. Not that's always a bad thing, but the direction and how it was done made every fight scene look absolutely terrible. 🤦‍♀️ It's like there was zero choreography, whereas with this film, you could tell everyone did their work and did it well.

Added note, I'm still not sure how this ties in with the rest of the Marvel universe. There was an end-credits scene but ended up missing most of it. 😕 Something I'll have to Google later.

Last edited:

PugofCrydee

Apparently it's a Chinese-lore inspired movie weekend for me. Went to my local drive-in theatre last night to watch this and it was amazing! Went into this movie knowing nothing about it other than knowing it was Marvel, no idea about the story, didn't look up reviews or anything. I was really impressed with everything -- cast, story, design, fight scenes, even that soundtrack. 😍 Someone needs to contact the crew who produced Mulan and show them what real costume design is and how martial arts choreography is supposed to be WITHOUT over-editing. 🙄 The fight scenes were obviously edited as they were sped up, and some had added CGI, but it was to fit the style of the movie and the character. You could still tell most of it was done... organically, I guess you could say? Unlike Mulan, even with the over-editing, you could still tell there was assistance with fight scenes. Not that's always a bad thing, but the direction and how it was done made every fight scene look absolutely terrible. 🤦‍♀️ It's like there was zero choreography, whereas with this film, you could tell everyone did their work and did it well.

Added note, I'm still not sure how this ties in with the rest of the Marvel universe. There was an end-credits scene but ended up missing most of it. 😕 Something I'll have to Google later.
I'm looking forward to seeing this

LoyalXenite

I have always wanted to go to a drive in theatre. After this covid wave crap ends I have to check if there is still one a couple hours from me

Phoenixx

Aladdin (2019 live-action remake) -- 5/10

I wish Disney would quit making live-action remakes now. I was excited about the idea when they were first rolling them out, but most of them aren't even good anymore and this is no exception. They all just feel so cheaply made, produced so quickly like they're only for a cash grab. (Which is probably right lol) Cheap tacky costumes, tacky CGI that's overused, even some of the accessories that are present look like dollar store items. The settings with remade music look like cheap Broadway plays rather than actual films. Heck a lot of the actors they're casting are either not good or the roles just aren't right for them. Will Smith as genie wasn't as horrible as I was expecting, but it wasn't great either. He was like a weird blue Kool-Aid man with a top knot. Tried way too hard borrowing dialogue and the style from the original film that only Robin Williams could master imo. Robin Williams didn't just play his characters, he owned them and that's what set him apart from other actors and voice actors. No one will ever be able to replace his work or replicate it.

Despite that, I ended up not hating this as much as I thought I would. The two things I did like: animal CGI designs and animations were well done and the choreography was pretty good, given that was half the movie right there along with the music. But otherwise this is another not-so-good remake that isn't worth going out of the way to watch.

F0AM

Aladdin (2019 live-action remake) -- 5/10

I wish Disney would quit making live-action remakes now. I was excited about the idea when they were first rolling them out, but most of them aren't even good anymore and this is no exception. They all just feel so cheaply made, produced so quickly like they're only for a cash grab. (Which is probably right lol) Cheap tacky costumes, tacky CGI that's overused, even some of the accessories that are present look like dollar store items. The settings with remade music look like cheap Broadway plays rather than actual films. Heck a lot of the actors they're casting are either not good or the roles just aren't right for them. Will Smith as genie wasn't as horrible as I was expecting, but it wasn't great either. He was like a weird blue Kool-Aid man with a top knot. Tried way too hard borrowing dialogue and the style from the original film that only Robin Williams could master imo. Robin Williams didn't just play his characters, he owned them and that's what set him apart from other actors and voice actors. No one will ever be able to replace his work or replicate it.

Despite that, I ended up not hating this as much as I thought I would. The two things I did like: animal CGI designs and animations were well done and the choreography was pretty good, given that was half the movie right there along with the music. But otherwise this is another not-so-good remake that isn't worth going out of the way to watch.
Characters like the Genie are quite hard to do in a live action without abusing CGI, some movies are just a lot better animated, they are not ment to make a live-action. I watched this one, unlike Mulan, and it left me so empty lol.

I liked Aladdin tho, but Jafar?? WHY IS HE PRETTY? EXCUSE ME?

The only live-action i've liked so far when it comes to Disney, is Beauty and the Beast, i think it was pretty nice and the songs were soo beautiful to watch.

F0AM

Ok, writing my last post a doubt came to my mind:

Is an animated film only that with 3D models like Toy Story, or also those made by hand like Lion King? in that case, what's the difference with a cartoon? if there is one.

🥺