rate the last film you watched

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I am a fine toothed comb type of fan when its a beloved book now movie type of situation, it took me years to accept the harry potter movies because of the changes they made :LOL:. But for situations like the one you mentioned I try and chalk it up to youth/scared/adrenaline response/ too honest or innocent to think of that in the moment type of things, it makes it easier to accept :LOL:

It's funny you use Harry Potter as an example, as I remember when the first one came out (and I was about 11) I was so upset at the minute differences between the movie and the books I vowed out of 11-year-old rage never to watch another Harry Potter movie after that. Now as a more flexible, understanding fan I can appreciate a book adaptation that deviates greatly from the specifics of a book, but my stubbornness has refused to allow me to go back on that vow I made as an 11 year old, and I still haven't watched any Harry Potter movie except the first. My nerd rage from back then was so strong it has transcended time to the point of arbitrary ridiculousness :p

LoyalXenite

It's funny you use Harry Potter as an example, as I remember when the first one came out (and I was about 11) I was so upset at the minute differences between the movie and the books I vowed out of 11-year-old rage never to watch another Harry Potter movie after that. Now as a more flexible, understanding fan I can appreciate a book adaptation that deviates greatly from the specifics of a book, but my stubbornness has refused to allow me to go back on that vow I made as an 11 year old, and I still haven't watched any Harry Potter movie except the first. My nerd rage from back then was so strong it has transcended time to the point of arbitrary ridiculousness :p

That is very understandable, it took me years to finish the movies and I hated them quite a bit, it was actually only in the last few years that I could enjoy them and a big part of that is because of all the memes about them :LOL:

I try to be a more understanding fan, but I remain a harsh critic when its a book adaptation of any books that I loved. I have to try and trick myself into watching the film first then reading the books (did this with hunger games and I love both the films and books - though the books are of course superior)

Phoenixx

The Umbrella Academy (Season 2) - 9/10

The first season was good, but the second season was even better. Racism, cultural differences, coups, murders, wars, more secrets, new abilities, more family (???), alien dad (???), and time traveling galore. That's all I'm saying. Talk about a wild trip, and I'm ready for the next one. (y) And that soundtrack? Freaking amazing! :love:

LoyalXenite

The first season was good, but the second season was even better. Racism, cultural differences, coups, murders, wars, more secrets, new abilities, more family (???), alien dad (???), and time traveling galore. That's all I'm saying. Talk about a wild trip, and I'm ready for the next one. (y) And that soundtrack? Freaking amazing! :love:

I love that show! And loved the latest season! Who is your favourite?

Phoenixx

High Score - 7/10

Not a movie, but a Netflix documentary series about the history of early video games. It was good, a little jumpy with the timeline which made it slightly hard to follow. Really disappointed they didn't elaborate on more games or other consoles besides Nintendo and Sega either. There's more to video games besides the two major trendsetters, but it was still a good series revolving around *their* history. A nice nostalgia trip.

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - 6/10

I don't even know where to begin with this and I don't even know what the point of this movie was honestly. If it wasn't for a friend recommending we watch it, I wouldn't have even bothered. I'm not the biggest fan of Will Farrell, and oftentimes his movies are either hit or miss for me. In recent years a lot of his comedies have been pretty dumb and shallow and really not all that funny. That being said, I actually didn't wind up hating this as much as I thought I was going to. I never would've thought to pair Rachel McAdams with Will Farrell on-screen, but honestly it kind of worked in some weird way....? I really can't describe it because even I still don't understand how this wound up actually being somewhat enjoyable. Granted, there were some really stupid scenes, and the fake accents got on my nerves after a while, but the music throughout was actually decent. Like most Americans, I don't know much about Eurovision other than it seems like a much more grandiose music contest than any of the garbage we produce here in the states. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's also a movie filled to the brim with cameos of actual singers that have either won or were featured on Eurovision. Pretty neat! It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for a tacky comedy with good music on a boring weekend afternoon, but otherwise you're not missing much if you pass it up.

Phoenixx

Schitt's Creek - 10/10

One of the best shows I've watched this year and pretty much forever. Jumped on the bandwagon and I can completely understand the cult following with this show. It's extremely well written, funny without trying too hard, and the character development is phenomenal! *chef's kiss* The series as a whole was wrapped up nicely, leaving you wanting just a little bit more, but not to the point where you're left playing 20 questions wondering what could've and should've been. For a show with only 20 - 30 min. episodes and only 6 seasons long, with 13ish episodes per season, they crammed a lot of story in a little package and that's not always an easy thing to do. I definitely consider this series a must-watch for everybody. Even if it doesn't capture you in the first couple episodes, stick with it. You won't be disappointed.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (Season 7) - 8/10

This seemingly long running show finally came to an end this year. I am relieved honestly, as well as satisfied. This season was all about the continuation of time travel and space travel, because we apparently didn't get enough of that in the last season (or two) and given how broad of a theme it can be, I feel it had to be dragged out further in order to be wrapped up efficiently. But how everything was wrapped up neatly in a two-part finale was well done. It certainly wasn't perfect -- I felt Daisy's story could've been more than just her finding a love interest. That's honestly a little ironic given how independent her character actually is. And bringing back an old character from a previous timeline just to purely serve that purpose felt lazy to me. Sousa could've been so much more, written so much better because he seems like a really interesting character, however, he was only brought in to tie a loose end. Regardless of that main gripe, the finale was surprisingly quiet, but bittersweet. The team splitting up and going their separate ways was expected, and not just because of the several hints that were dropped all throughout the latter half of the season. After what everyone has been through the last couple seasons, plus introducing and playing out a whole new timeline, only for Fitz to show up and be like, "Hey, we get to go home now!", it was all kinda expected/predictable. That's not always a bad thing though, and again, I really liked how it was all wrapped up.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (Season 7) - 8/10

This seemingly long running show finally came to an end this year. I am relieved honestly, as well as satisfied. This season was all about the continuation of time travel and space travel, because we apparently didn't get enough of that in the last season (or two) and given how broad of a theme it can be, I feel it had to be dragged out further in order to be wrapped up efficiently. But how everything was wrapped up neatly in a two-part finale was well done. It certainly wasn't perfect -- I felt Daisy's story could've been more than just her finding a love interest. That's honestly a little ironic given how independent her character actually is. And bringing back an old character from a previous timeline just to purely serve that purpose felt lazy to me. Sousa could've been so much more, written so much better because he seems like a really interesting character, however, he was only brought in to tie a loose end. Regardless of that main gripe, the finale was surprisingly quiet, but bittersweet. The team splitting up and going their separate ways was expected, and not just because of the several hints that were dropped all throughout the latter half of the season. After what everyone has been through the last couple seasons, plus introducing and playing out a whole new timeline, only for Fitz to show up and be like, "Hey, we get to go home now!", it was all kinda expected/predictable. That's not always a bad thing though, and again, I really liked how it was all wrapped up.

After Captain America: Civil War blew up the whole show I didn't think it would be able to function well, but looking back I'm happy and impressed with how good of a job they did all the way to the finish. I do wonder with the next Doctor Strange movie dealing with the multiverse, if there isn't a chance we'll see some of the characters again, even if just a cameo.