rate the last film you watched

Phoenixx

Characters like the Genie are quite hard to do in a live action without abusing CGI, some movies are just a lot better animated, they are not ment to make a live-action. I watched this one, unlike Mulan, and it left me so empty lol.

I liked Aladdin tho, but Jafar?? WHY IS HE PRETTY? EXCUSE ME?

The only live-action i've liked so far when it comes to Disney, is Beauty and the Beast, i think it was pretty nice and the songs were soo beautiful to watch.
The CGI for genie actually wasn't half-bad, I just really didn't like Will Smith as the character. Didn't think it was a good choice, imo. But I'm not sure who else could play that role off the top of my head.

The guy that they picked for Aladdin wasn't bad either, but I didn't care for a lot of the others. Jasmine didn't feel right either. Didn't understand why that particular actress for the handmaiden. I don't remember her name, but I do recognize her from New Girl lol. I agree with you about Jafar though too, haha. He was a pretty boy and I don't know why either. He didn't look very sinister to me.

Beauty and the Beast was pretty good. I particularly loved The Jungle Book. That's the best one yet for me. CGI done properly! Maybe that's why I get so annoyed with these remakes. Because you have these films that WERE DONE RIGHT, and then you have this trash like Mulan and Aladdin lol.

LoyalXenite

Ok, writing my last post a doubt came to my mind:

Is an animated film only that with 3D models like Toy Story, or also those made by hand like Lion King? in that case, what's the difference with a cartoon? if there is one.

🥺
I think animated has become an umbrella term now for all non live action options

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings -- 9/10

Added note, I'm still not sure how this ties in with the rest of the Marvel universe. There was an end-credits scene but ended up missing most of it. 😕 Something I'll have to Google later.

I think it ties in loosely like a lot of origin stories (think Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy) and will become more enmeshed as the world of characters grow ("Hey, Ant-Man, want to come fight in a Super Hero Civil War?"). There were a few moments that explicitly grounded it in the MCU, partially to remind the audience that it WAS an MCU movie I would guess, because at times I found myself forgetting it was! One was during the big underground fight club scene where you saw Wong (Dr. Strange) fighting against Abomination (Hulk). The other I saw was
When the Dad was talking about how "The Mandarin" was inspired by him to instill fear in Iron Man 3, and then of course there was Trevor!

End Credit scenes were pretty good as always. I was more excited about the one without Shang-Chi in it, but both leave plenty of room to speculate where Shang-Chi is going to fit in with the MCU!

Another aside, it also seems like the Disney+ shows are going to play a more important role in the universe as a whole than any other show has up until this point (like Agents Of SHIELD, Agent Carter, the Netflix shows, etc). Post-credit scene in Black Widow (6.5/10) directly connected to parts of Falcon and the Winter Soldier (7/10) and there's a chance part of the post credit scene of Shang-Chi connected to Loki (8.5/10). And WandaVision(9.5/10) is going to lead into the Dr. Strange (12/10, speculatively) movie it appears. To anyone who hasn't seen them, I'd suggest them all!

Phoenixx

Another aside, it also seems like the Disney+ shows are going to play a more important role in the universe as a whole than any other show has up until this point (like Agents Of SHIELD, Agent Carter, the Netflix shows, etc). Post-credit scene in Black Widow (6.5/10) directly connected to parts of Falcon and the Winter Soldier (7/10) and there's a chance part of the post credit scene of Shang-Chi connected to Loki (8.5/10). And WandaVision(9.5/10) is going to lead into the Dr. Strange (12/10, speculatively) movie it appears. To anyone who hasn't seen them, I'd suggest them all!
Yes, I've heard that. I need to get my butt into watching those and getting caught up! I really like that they're producing these shows that also have large ties into the movies and really connecting them like they did with Agents of Shield.

Side note: I like how you rated each movie you listed, haha. Dr Strange was really fantastic. Definitely one of my top 5 Marvel films. (y)

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I really enjoyed this one, I hope they do another season
Yea they left it open for it didn't they. I'm guessing they will, I hope so too. The moral dilemmas the players face is interesting.

Have you seen Alice in borderland? Similar thing, I think I enjoyed it more than squid game actually.
Also, if you like the conflicting moral dilemma thing, you might enjoy "The circle" and "The platform" (all on Netflix). All are pretty good 👍

LoyalXenite

Yea they left it open for it didn't they. I'm guessing they will, I hope so too. The moral dilemmas the players face is interesting.

Have you seen Alice in borderland? Similar thing, I think I enjoyed it more than squid game actually.
Also, if you like the conflicting moral dilemma thing, you might enjoy "The circle" and "The platform" (all on Netflix). All are pretty good 👍

I have seen all of thos eand enjoyed them greatly, I think I liked Squid Games more than Alice in Borderland, but part of that is the protagonist was more likeable in Squid Games so I cared a lot more if he survived. The circle was deeply fascinating, I really enjoyed that one and have been considering using the premise for a dnd one shot campaign. I really enjoyed the platform except for the ending which I thought was lame , but the first 80% of the movie was great

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Shang chi and the legend of the ten rings.
(spoiler).

Went to the cinema to see this. I was hopeful seeing as I've really enjoyed a lot of the Marvel movies. But I was really disappointed. The plot was predictable, some of the scripting was again, very predictable. The scene where the mum and dad fight and mid punch they smile and longingly look at each other was almost.. embarrassingly corny.

The cgi was great though.

3/10