Psycho****ytical comebacks

cowboyup

I was thinking (dangerous, I know!) have you ever come across someone who's a smart a$$ and all you want to do is psycho****yise that person with a quip or good comeback.

For example, my niece/nephew are taking swim lessons. SIL mentioned that to one of her friends who was over for BBQ, and her friend said, "oh I don't believe in swim lessons unless you're training to be athlete." "you put them in the pool and either they sink or swim"

I thought hmm, unusual response to a simple, innocent statement. I kept my mouth shut of course :kickingmyself:
As did my SIL. But later we got talking and we started coming up with things we could have said, like, "oh you're just jealous cuz you didn't have swim lessons as a child"

So, what are some things you'd like to say to people as a snappy comeback and throw that person for a loop?

cowboyup

Sorry Moderator....did I misspell that word or it has to be bleeped out....
I didn't know. :eek::eek:

coyote

i wonder if she believes in teaching her kids how to safely cross the street or just plans to throw them in the middle of busy intersection and hope for the best

i wonder if she believes in teaching her kids how to safely cross the street or just plans to throw them in the middle of busy intersection and hope for the best
^ exactly.:bigsmile:

I am hopeless at thinking of any comebacks right in the situation when they are needed.:eek:mg:
My sister however can think on her feet instantly, but she is as outgoing and as boisterous as humanly possible.

What I wonder makes that lady fail to realize that kids (especially investigative toddlers) can get into bodies of water when an adult is not present to help when they are "sinking or swimming" alas; sinking instead of swimming!?:sad:

While she may not believe in swimming lessons, I think it's vital that everyone teaches their kids the basics of staying afloat and moving through water. You never know when they might fall into a river or deep body of water.

chev

I would've wanted to say this: "hmm..sink or swim...I'd feel more comfortable not putting a 50/50 chance of drowning on a child."

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Whenever I think of comebacks in my head (to real or imaginary situations) they are almost always psychoana1ytical break downs of the other person, which I think makes me feel and look (at least in my head) very smart and somehow intellectually superior. I would never really give a comeback of that nature (you know, unless I "just couldn't control myself" as is the justification in my head :rolleyes:) since firstly it would make the other person feel bad, or be designed to which is not something I'd like to aim for. making myself feel better/smart at others expenses is not something I'd want to get in the habit of. Also, there's no real evidence supporting whatever claim I would consider making about the other person, putting me in a position to come off as very ignorant and presumptuous.

And this is why I never talk :thumbup:

laure15

Maybe the mom is overprotective of her kids therefore saying such things. Trying to outsmart another person leads to that person trying to outsmart you and that's how arguments can erupt. If she doesn't want her kids to take swimming lessons, that's her business.

Phoenixx

^ Hahaha! :lol: Wonderfully put, coyote.

Whenever I think of comebacks in my head (to real or imaginary situations) they are almost always psychoana1ytical break downs of the other person, which I think makes me feel and look (at least in my head) very smart and somehow intellectually superior. I would never really give a comeback of that nature (you know, unless I "just couldn't control myself" as is the justification in my head :rolleyes:) since firstly it would make the other person feel bad, or be designed to which is not something I'd like to aim for. making myself feel better/smart at others expenses is not something I'd want to get in the habit of. Also, there's no real evidence supporting whatever claim I would consider making about the other person, putting me in a position to come off as very ignorant and presumptuous.

And this is why I never talk :thumbup:
^ I do this most of the time too. I'm guilty of a-nalyzing (stupid filter) and replaying the situation over and over and over again in my head with things I could've/should've said. I can be witty with comebacks, but only to people I know. (aka arguing with family/mostly my brother) With random people, I usually just turn my back and never talk because sometimes I can't come up with anything and even when I do, it sometimes just isn't worth it anyway.

awkwardamanda

What I wonder makes that lady fail to realize that kids (especially investigative toddlers) can get into bodies of water when an adult is not present to help when they are "sinking or swimming" alas; sinking instead of swimming!?:sad:

The fact that she can't figure that out just screams out bad-parent-who-shouldn't-have-had-kids.

Alienated

Oh MAN..... I could teach you something's to say... I actually LIVED and worked in a drug and alcohol treatment center for 2 1/2 years.... It takes a special view point on life to be a good smart a**... So Cowboy PM me and we will have a discussion and I will teach you how to really mess their heads up !!