mysissucks

"There is no passion to be found playing
small - in settling for a life that idles
than the one you are capable of living."

--Nelson Mandela

Newtype

' Hockey Is Life. Life Is Hockey.

LOL, doesn't get more Canadian than that :p

From BEYOND BAND OF BROTHERS: The War Memoirs of Major Richard Dick Winters (commander and leader of WWII 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division)

1. Strive to be a leader of character, competence, and courage.

2. Lead from the front. Say, “Follow me!” and then lead the way.

3. Stay in top physical shape--physical stamina is the root of mental toughness.

4. Anticipate problems and prepare to overcome obstacles. Don’t wait until you get to the top of the ridge and then make up your mind.

5. Remain humble. Don’t worry about who receives the credit. Never let power or authority go to your head.

6. Take a moment of self-reflection. Look at yourself in the mirror every night and ask yourself if you did your best.

7. True satisfaction comes from getting the job done. They key to a successful leader is to earn respect--not because of rank or position, but because you are a leader of character.

8. Hang Tough!--Never, ever, give up.

market.garden

LOL, doesn't get more Canadian than that :p

From BEYOND BAND OF BROTHERS: The War Memoirs of Major Richard Dick Winters (commander and leader of WWII 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division)

1. Strive to be a leader of character, competence, and courage.

2. Lead from the front. Say, “Follow me!” and then lead the way.

3. Stay in top physical shape--physical stamina is the root of mental toughness.

4. Anticipate problems and prepare to overcome obstacles. Don’t wait until you get to the top of the ridge and then make up your mind.

5. Remain humble. Don’t worry about who receives the credit. Never let power or authority go to your head.

6. Take a moment of self-reflection. Look at yourself in the mirror every night and ask yourself if you did your best.

7. True satisfaction comes from getting the job done. They key to a successful leader is to earn respect--not because of rank or position, but because you are a leader of character.

8. Hang Tough!--Never, ever, give up.

I wrote to Dick Winters when I was younger after reading Band of Brothers. I just admired his ethos on leading his men. He sent me a quote, I can't remember where its from, but he said it was "A formula for leadership" and it went:

Follow me. Follow me, over that hill, and into harm's way,
for I shall go first, and show you the way.

That's stuck with me for years. It's short, simple and brilliant.

Newtype

I wrote to Dick Winters when I was younger after reading Band of Brothers. I just admired his ethos on leading his men. He sent me a quote, I can't remember where its from, but he said it was "A formula for leadership" and it went:

Follow me. Follow me, over that hill, and into harm's way,
for I shall go first, and show you the way.

That's stuck with me for years. It's short, simple and brilliant.

Wow, that's awesome! Really nice quote. You're so lucky!

Why is your display name "market.garden" by the way? Every time I see your name I think of Operation Market Garden.

market.garden

Wow, that's awesome! Really nice quote. You're so lucky!

Why is your display name "market.garden" by the way? Every time I see your name I think of Operation Market Garden.

I couldn't think of a username when I signed up, so put down the first thing that popped into my head :D ... I'd been reading up on Operation Market Garden around that time so I ended up with it.

TheManWhoUpholdsHonour

My sig and this:

Life....is war.War is beautiful.The only rule of war is to survive.To survive is to endure and prosper....and we have most certainly survived! - me.

One is all and all is one -the guy who made mah sig.

Last edited:

Lost Girl

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

“For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it. For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.”

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”

"The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown,for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity"

“Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve”

“People are strange when you're a stranger, Faces look ugly when you're alone; Women seem wicked when you're unwanted, Streets are uneven when you're down”

“We are, perhaps, uniquely among the earth's creatures, the worrying animal. We worry away our lives, fearing the future, discontent with the present, unable to take in the idea of dying, unable to sit still.”

“At a given moment, I open my eyes and exist. And before that, for all eternity, what was there?
Nothing.”

“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

“Reality is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one”

“Reality confronts man with a great many "musts," but all of them are conditional; the formula of realistic necessity is: "You must, if " and the "if" stands for man's choice”

“Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down."

“Being solitary is being alone well: being alone luxuriously immersed in doings of your own choice, aware of the fullness of your won presence rather than of the absence of others. Because solitude is an achievement.”

“Know yourself. Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”

“Expecting the world to be fair to you because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.”

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

“Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.”

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

“The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.”

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”

“Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.”

"If I'm going to sing like someone else, then I don't need to sing at all."

“The whole value of solitude depends upon one's self; it may be a sanctuary or a prison, a haven of repose or a place of punishment, a heaven or a hell, as we ourselves make it”

hippiechild

"(we do what we do)...because we HAVE to, because we have no idea what we would be doing if we weren't, because there's an unquenchable urge to express and impress that isn't satisfied in the mundane day-to-day world, so we build a different version of ourselves and go to grassy fields to spend our days, pushing the envelope and watching it bend."
-Dave Frawking C

Last edited:

Krista

"Just existing is not living, fighting is not peace and stifling creative minds does not brighten our future or create beauty. But learning to exist within a life where peace knows no bounds and your imagination makes a new world, a better world for us all is the most beautiful thing you could ask for in a lifetime."

hippiechild

"Just existing is not living, fighting is not peace and stifling creative minds does not brighten our future or create beauty. But learning to exist within a life where peace knows no bounds and your imagination makes a new world, a better world for us all is the most beautiful thing you could ask for in a lifetime."

I quite like this quote.. it's pretty alright!

"There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each others' cooking and say it was good."

"She said she usually cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short."

"How many people can you love before it's too much? she said & I said I didn't think there was any real limit as long as you didn't care if they loved you back."

"If there is any secret to this life I live, this is it: the sound of what cannot be seen sings within everything that can. & there is nothing more to it than that."

Newtype

That's perfect. If you wrote that yourself then you're my deity ^_^

indeep

It doesn't happen over night though, never, still I'm filled with wonder
Lonely like the tight rope walker, hitchhiker, long distance runner
Zoom, kick, persuasion tech, good night for you, bad night for me
But I still love you lying down, K-I-S-S-I-N-G
Not mad, not mad, not mad at all, I tried your shoes on
Cigarettes and crucifixes, Ingmar Bergman, Alphonse Mouzon
Really boring modern music, really boring modern girl
Get me out of here, I'm drowning, I don't like this modern world
Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
Crying eyes, we're so out numbered, fight for the right to remain silent
But what do I know, who am I, my two left feet, my big dumb face
I'd do the same if I had the chance, cheat the system, rig the race
It's all one big misunderstanding, inside out I turn my coat
Don't look back, don't move a muscle, one false move, that's all she wrote
Zoom, kick, persuasion, tech
Zoom, kick, persuasion, tech
Zoom, kick, persuasion, tech, tech, tech.. (Buck 65-Blood of a Young Wolf) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2n3O-ipnlo&feature=related

Last edited:
"Life sucks" - unknown author........(NO! I am just kidding!)haha.:D

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission" - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Although, I do wish that she had also included advice on how you can actually make your brain think that, when you already have a low self-esteem!?:confused:

"Hey... It can't rain all the time... Actually, it rains cats and dogs and they have claws... Ok, it never rains, but it pours."

*very painful memories*

"Depression is simply the body's way of telling you that your challenges have exceeded your resources. Either increase your resources or reduce your challenges."