Our own Facebook?

lisalove22

So today I was watching a youtube clip about Bipolar Disorder and read in the comments about a new social network for people suffering from mental illness. The website is called Mapofmates. The idea is good and I hope that they will add some sort of chat function as on facebook. I love the global group map for each type of mental disorder.
Is anyone here member yet?
As far as I can see its 100% free.

Adress: Mental Illness Social Network and Dating - Find new mates now

MaliceInWickedland

Interesting. It's nice to see that the internet is starting to show more acknowledgement towards mental illness. I'm not too keen on joining any more dating sites though. Been there done that. And no offense to anyone out there but I think it's kinda scary to try and date in a place like this where there are apparently people with all sorts of mental illnesses that may range from completely harmless to maybe some sort of psychosis. I'm not saying that to be mean or make anyone sound like a homicidal maniac. It's just a thought...

WeirdyMcGee

sounds terrifying to me but perhaps for someone who actually wants that type of thing, it would be a useful tool.

lisalove22

I can agree with that and I dont like this internet dating phenomen either. Actually I think it was stupid of them to call it Dating site. For me this is like a clone of Facebook but for people with mental illness and should not be called dating site. Facebook is not a dating site and neither is MapOfMates in my opinion:D

Necrucifer

Never had much luck on those sure I am to young to try it people say but I have tried some and generally had some bad experiences with them lol.

Interesting. It's nice to see that the internet is starting to show more acknowledgement towards mental illness. I'm not too keen on joining any more dating sites though. Been there done that. And no offense to anyone out there but I think it's kinda scary to try and date in a place like this where there are apparently people with all sorts of mental illnesses that may range from completely harmless to maybe some sort of psychosis. I'm not saying that to be mean or make anyone sound like a homicidal maniac. It's just a thought...

I have basically the same hang-up about Internet dating, especially if it's a site geared toward people with some kind of mental illness. I already have a hard enough time not freaking myself out when I go out with people I already know, so the idea of meeting up with someone I met on such a website would seriously upset me. Conversely though, it would be nice to meet people who have many of the same issues as me! It'd be comforting to know that we're both struggling with social anxiety.

Meh, I don't even like Facebook since is rather shallow. In fact, just because I'm nuts doesn't mean I must be interested in searching emotionally screwed up people on purpose instead mixing with people not caring about what they suffer or not. That web is like the Arkham Asylum.

Meh, I don't even like Facebook since is rather shallow. In fact, just because I'm nuts doesn't mean I must be interested in searching emotionally screwed up people on purpose instead mixing with people not caring about what they suffer or not. That web is like the Arkham Asylum.

Homigosh, love your comparison! It totally does sound like Arkham Asylum! I also agree with you that Facebook is super shallow. I don't understand the desire to have random people all up in my business, but that could be because I really don't like people in general. Mmh...now I really want to go play some Batman...

lisalove22

Haha Arkham Asylum :) Well I dont think people suffering from common mental disorders such as ocd, social anxiety, bipolar etc are insane Arkham Asylum-people :D

lisalove22

I get your point and no you shouldnt date someone with dangerous problems, but i dont think these kind of dating sites are dangerous. But i dunno.

Has anyone tried other mental illness dating sites like nolongerlonely.com and mentalillnessdating.com?

Moa

No matter where or how you meet someone, there is always the potential for them to be some sort of bad egg. When I meet someone, I immediately do a background check... and be sure to search the state databases, if they have any kind of criminal record, you should be able to find it.

But sometimes that sort of homework won't help you... I once dated someone for 3 years, even lived with him for a year... and it wasn't till we broke up that I learned he was a closet transvestite!! :eek:

sucettes

As*holes are everywhere on the web. They can't be ignored. I actually like the site, you don't have to talk to the people with other problems than SA if you don't want to. It's up to you who you want to talk to. And I don't like judging people because of their mental illness. My boyfriends dad is schizophrenic but he's getting help and even though he's been pretty nuts before, he's much better now and one of the nicest people I've ever met.

I registered by the way.