old self harm scars and a new job..embrassing.

i have really bad scars on my wrists from when I used to self harm, the thing is I also have new ones but my whole arm is a mess. I have been cutting since I was 16 or so, but I have never seeked help for it as I can control it and I understand my triggers for it, I can go months without cutting then all of sudden I get stressed and angry or upset and I end up cutting myself but recently i have started a new job which for my uniform i have to wear a tunic with short sleeves and i work with people. My arm has never been this bad so in my past jobs it hasn't really looked noticeable but it does and i feel so self conscious seeing as i am caring for people and i don't want them to think i am nutter or the other staff because i love what i do and i think i'm pretty good at it. I was just writing this to see if you guys know of any ways i can reduce the scars..i know i'll never get rid of them because i'm 21 and the scars from when i was 16 are still there. I want my arm to look semi normal where its not noticeable.

Flanscho

Well, you have no control over that, since you still cut yourself.

Most people who cut themselves are doing so in their teens or early twenties, since, at that point, they can't yet understand the impact those scars have on the rest of their life. When you apply at a job in summer and have to wear long sleeves, since otherwise the employer might consider you too unstable to have the job. Or in the swimming hall, or meeting new friends, people will always see the scars and think their part.

In my opinion, you should focus on getting help so that you stop cutting yourself. Hiding yourself from public and trying to play a role in front of others won't work for long if you won't fix the problem itself.

Last edited:

jaim38

You should buy some skin treatment cream for scars and within several months, maybe they will start to fade. In the meantime, try applying blush and bronzer to your scars or wear a sweater over them if you can.

mismeek

invest in lots of chunky funky bracelets! mederma makes a really good scar cream. so does Clinique (that one is like 50 bucks tho) you can also ask your doctor..they also prescribe scar creams.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
invest in lots of chunky funky bracelets!

Haha that's what I was going to say too... I have some scars too and I hide it with leather bracelets. Getting tattoos all over your arms would make it a lot less obvious as well, but I'm not sure your boss would appreciate it.

Can you really get rid of scars with a cream?! I'm sceptical...

...try applying blush and bronzer to your scars...

Yes. Thank *insert desired deity* for makeup!:applause:
I have found that with the right shade and amount of blended in Liquid Foundation, you can make anything less noticeable.