Och aye the noo

SpaceTime

So, going by what you've said about the free version of Studio One, and feel free to correct me, but it won't support the plugins either for AmpliTube or EZdrummer? Meaning I couldn't record a guitar or drums from either of those programs into Studio One?
correct.
[edit: obvs you could still try out S1 Prime with your guitar though bcs there are some FX bundled within S1 Prime that you will be able to patch your guitar through, I cant recall which FX they give you but it will tell you on the Presonus site. It might also be possible to record the output from your standalone ezdrummer and pull that wav file into a track within S1, that's far from ideal as it will be set in stone then but it would give you a starting point for trying things out. You'd have to google if thats do-able.]

So, just stick with these KRK Rokits I got for just over £300, and bundled with a Focusrite audio interface?
Yep, they should be fine.

Guess I could just use my other laptop for working out ideas. Just get the free version of Studio One and mess about with synths and that...
If I recall correctly the Studio One license permits up to five activations which can be used in parallel, that being the case then if you buy the Pro license you could run it on both your laptops if you wanted to. Dont take my word for it though check on the presonus website, also check your OS versions are both supported.

When you look at MIDI keyboards btw I recommend getting one that has some assignable knobs and/or sliders - these can be mapped to the virtual knobs and sliders of synths and mixer in the DAW. Its a lot easier when you are recording to have a hardware knob to twiddle than trying to use a mouse to do it, especially if you've got a guitar strapped around your neck. Also you need to consider how much physical space you have available - Ive got a M-Audio Oxygen-25 but its only two octaves so I often have to push a button to shift the playing range up and down to select the octaves it maps to. If you've got the space in your room you could opt for a wider keyboard with more octaves, eg 4 or 5.

Oh, and I might as well ask, since you mentioned speakers. Don't know if that pic is clear enough? But see the volume and level controls, what the best decibel level to have those at, for the more high gain amps, like Mesa Boogie? Or just generally speaking? Or would figuring out how to set the noise gate threshold in AmpliTube resolve the clipping issue I'm getting with the volume?
Not sure. You'll have to work through the signal chain to work out where the problem is. Could be guitar input gain on the audio i/f, the input level in amplitube, one of the FX in the amplitube chain, output level of amplitube, output level of audio box!
FWIW I have my speaker volume pots always on full and I control the actual listening volume using the volume control on the audio interface box. Box shows a red LED if there is clipping from my guitar into the audio box. Everything else is inside the software so I just check none of the levels go into the red.

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
correct.
[edit: obvs you could still try out S1 Prime with your guitar though bcs there are some FX bundled within S1 Prime that you will be able to patch your guitar through, I cant recall which FX they give you but it will tell you on the Presonus site. It might also be possible to record the output from your standalone ezdrummer and pull that wav file into a track within S1, that's far from ideal as it will be set in stone then but it would give you a starting point for trying things out. You'd have to google if thats do-able.]

If I recall correctly the Studio One license permits up to five activations which can be used in parallel, that being the case then if you buy the Pro license you could run it on both your laptops if you wanted to. Dont take my word for it though check on the presonus website, also check your OS versions are both supported.

Aye, I'll look into everything you've mentioned. :thumbup:
But it's good to know the S1 license isn't limit to just a single activation. Though, I'll have to check the MacBook OS compatibility, since my Mac is running El-Capitian 64-bit.

When you look at MIDI keyboards btw I recommend getting one that has some assignable knobs and/or sliders - these can be mapped to the virtual knobs and sliders of synths and mixer in the DAW. Its a lot easier when you are recording to have a hardware knob to twiddle than trying to use a mouse to do it, especially if you've got a guitar strapped around your neck. Also you need to consider how much physical space you have available - Ive got a M-Audio Oxygen-25 but its only two octaves so I often have to push a button to shift the playing range up and down to select the octaves it maps to. If you've got the space in your room you could opt for a wider keyboard with more octaves, eg 4 or 5.

I was going with the Behringer UMX-610.

UMX-610_P0A1K_Left_L.png

But I'll might spend an additional £2 more than I initially intended and get the M-Audio Oxygen 61? Since it has the option of adding a sustain pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a70U8WLWi64

Not sure. You'll have to work through the signal chain to work out where the problem is. Could be guitar input gain on the audio i/f, the input level in amplitube, one of the FX in the amplitube chain, output level of amplitube, output level of audio box!
FWIW I have my speaker volume pots always on full and I control the actual listening volume using the volume control on the audio interface box. Box shows a red LED if there is clipping from my guitar into the audio box. Everything else is inside the software so I just check none of the levels go into the red.

Huv'nae fired up AmpliTube in a few days, but I managed to get the input gain level so wasn't clipping - no red LED to indicate such. So, I'm guessing it's the input or output level in AmpliTube? Since I'm not adjusting the volume on the audio interface so much that it should be as loud. I did consider put my speaker volume on full, but wus'nae 100% sure. But I might, since it would be less hassle trying to adjust it with the interface monitor knob. :bigsmile:

Graeme1988

So, a wee update on ma life. Well...

Ah need to get glasses. Just hope ah cun still pull off the bald heid n' beard look? Whit am I say, of course ah'll be able to. Dont know about the tattoos, though... :thinking:

Got ticket tae see Iron Maiden on their 2017 Book of Souls UK tour, when they stop off in Glasgow. Buckin' YAASSS!!
happy-dancing.gif

It'll my 3rd time seeing 'em live - and my mum and oldest sister's 2nd time. Don't know if ma oldest sister's boyfriend's see Maiden live afore? Either way I'm getting to see them again. Though, ah huv been happy just see them that yin time back in 2003. Because, f**k me - much like the time ah got drunk at ma cousin's wedding reception - that first Iron Maiden gig has stayed with me. To the point, where ah might actually get an Eddie the Head tattoo. Plus, Maiden are the only band that I've listened to consistently since ah got into them. Though, ma only complaint is we're in the f**kin' cheap seats again, much like we were at Def Leppard and Whitesnake's co-headling gig last year.

This will be ma view..

the-hydro.jpg

Ah know, utter feckin' shite-baws! And I'm no that keen on heights. Don't know if that's down tae me being quite tall? :question: So, it's going to be very much like the first time ah saw Iron Maiden live. But I'm more than happy to make any expection in regard tae the seatin' n this case.
Cuz it's Iron f**kin' Maiden, man!

Last edited:

Graeme1988

As if I wasn't hyped enough about the new Metallica album.

The tracklist and song length has been revealed recently. And the title track is the shortest song on the whole album. :eek:

44002_1_ver1475077146.jpg

This could well be their best album in 20 years? Since the Justice album, at least. As far as being full-on heavy, I thinking it'll probably be mix of their first 4 albums.

Not that The Black Album was shite by any means. It still one of my favourite metal albums. It's just, if you compared Metallica's sound prior to Bob Rock coming in as producer, they were edgy and more raw. Less polished and clean as far production goes. I mean, in a way, those first 4 Metallica albums not being absolutely perfection in terms of production is what makes them great in a way.

But then I'm probably just talkin' shite? :idontknow: :bigsmile:

SpaceTime

Re midi keyboards, I think the Behringer and M_Audio are probably in same ball park. I wouldn't be able to comment beyond that really, the M-Audio does what I need given my limitations as pretty much a one finger synth player. :bigsmile:

Graeme1988

Re midi keyboards, I think the Behringer and M_Audio are probably in same ball park. I wouldn't be able to comment beyond that really, the M-Audio does what I need given my limitations as pretty much a one finger synth player. :bigsmile:

Och well, fair enough. :giggle: Ah jist thought I'd ask ye, since you mentioned what to go for as far as functionality, as it were.

Ah guess ah huv mair o' an interest in learning how to play. :bigsmile: But mainly so I learn some tunes, aside from just learning and playing rock and metal songs aw the time.

Ah mean I'd hardly say I'm a virtuoso when it comes to the guitar, either. Or any instrument for that matter. Ah cun just play guitar well enough to give the impression I'm better than I am.

SpaceTime

Always a dilemma - how much to spend on any piece of kit, as you'll know from being a guitar player. I'm sure a purist or music teacher would say that if you want to learn an instrument properly you should get the best you can afford. With keyboards that would mean proper weighted keys so they have the same feel as a piano, but weighted keys cost quite a bit more. I can live without that for my purposes but just tipping you off about that one in case its a consideration.

Music can easily become a money pit!

Graeme1988

Always a dilemma - how much to spend on any piece of kit, as you'll know from being a guitar player. I'm sure a purist or music teacher would say that if you want to learn an instrument properly you should get the best you can afford. With keyboards that would mean proper weighted keys so they have the same feel as a piano, but weighted keys cost quite a bit more. I can live without that for my purposes but just tipping you off about that one in case its a consideration.

Music can easily become a money pit!

Aye, that's very true. And I know that for a fact, because ah wasted a fair bit o' money buying a pedalboard and Boss effects pedals that I end up selling on, after I realised amp and effect modelling software would probably be cheaper long term.

But I'm trying to working within my limits as far cost goes. Don't really want to go for expensive kit unless I can afford it, or summit else is included. Like the interface I got with those KRK Rokits.

Also, I've never been yin for the purist mentality, to be honest. If it's got the specifications I'm looking for - that'll do me, like. Plus, I'm no spending hundreds, just get a keyboard with weighted keys. F**k that!

Beside, I can run the MIDI through software like this, if I want it to sound like a piano:

ST3-large.jpg

Or I'm sure Toontracks - who does EZdrummer - have similar software?
But then covers don't have to sound exactly like the original, d'they?

Anyway, cheers for the wee heads up, pal. Yer advice has been much appreciated. :thumbup: :perfect:

Graeme1988

D'ye ever feel like yer life's gan it such a pace, ye cannae quite keep up with it? That's whit this year's been like for me. Oh, and btw, ah've finally detached masel' enough fae ma orthopedic surgery experience tae actually tell ye about it. Which ah will shortly, just need to try and recall it aw... And get over how embarrassing yin incident was.

Anyway, went to the Sands Centre in Carlisle this past Friday night with ma oldest sister and saw Geordie surrealist comedian, Ross Noble. Which wus great, but Carlisle is a funny place. Folk are a bit weird, lovely but odd, y'know? No exactly the sharpest comedy crowd, like - exact those odd moments. But then it's the North o' England, they're a bit mental anyway. :giggle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=396EK49nweA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2G2Ejpa-U

Graeme1988

Funny guy! His dalek impression is great! :giggle:
I must look at more of his youtube videos, perhaps when i'm bored. :thumbup:

Aye, that darlek impression is spot on. :perfect:

Oh, definitely! Most of his stand-up shows are on YouTube in full. So yer in for a treat, especially if ya enjoy more surreal humour a la Monty Python

And I can't recommend them highly enough, if yer unable to see Ross live in person. Though his live shows are 2 hours plus of improvised comedy, with the odd story thrown in. 20 minute interval and a Q & A session to the show.

But he just riffs of the audience and their reactions - as you see him doing with that Dalek Shakespeare Company rountine. Or whatever that comes to his mind while on stage. The fact he laughs at the stuff he's coming up with on spot makes it all the funnier. :bigsmile:

Graeme1988

Still kinda ragin' aboot whit happended yesterday. :veryangry:

Ah've been huv a wee dispute with someone on eBay who bought a copy of Microsoft Office 2016. It's just, well... Look fur yersel', ah screenshoted ma messages back and forth to him. Oh, and this wee disagreement's been gan oan since September 12th or 13th 2016. :kickingmyself:

Who wus being the bigger c*^%-biscuit here - me or the buyer? :thinking:

Am truly amazed some folk cun be this f**kin' dumb, especially Asians. An that's no racist cuz Asian folk are clever c*^%$.

Oh, ah should probably point out that the guy refused my offer to refund his money, and wus quite insistent that ah resolve this issue. Despite him not giving me any details as to whit wus wrong the software - like error messages, the program no starting, etc.

Attachments

• eBay (7).JPG
    eBay (7).JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • eBay (6).JPG
    eBay (6).JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
  • eBay (4).JPG
    eBay (4).JPG
    41 KB · Views: 0
  • eBay (1).JPG
    eBay (1).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Graeme1988

Needless tae say, ah nearly brought ma fist doon oan ma laptop keyboard and hoofed it oot ma bedroom windae upon reading the fella's last message. And he's fae London. Nae surprises, there. Cockneys are always chancing their f**kin' luck, tryin' ae git summit fur nowt. :thumbdown:
Sorry, ah didnae mean tae stereotype aw Cockneys or Londoners - jist some uh ye. B@$%@*!

Anyway, I'm currently finding a cathartic release for ma shitty mood in thrash metal music.
Listening to these songs on repeat. Since they aptly describe how I'm feelin'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_3uULoT6sI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnKCcjP8Qs

Graeme1988

Gie it laldy wi' wur ain language or the bams'll take it aff us (From Herald Scotland)

And for aw the slagging and bad mouthing ah give the wee toon in the Scottish Borders, where ah wus born n’ raised, it’s really a beautiful part of Scotland. Ah found these video on Vimeo.

Visit Dumfries and Galloway – Vimeo

Big Water of Fleet Viaduct - FPV DJI450 Quadcopter - CopterControl - Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland - Vimeo

You get a wee glimpse o' Southerness in that Visit Dumfries and Gallloway film. Ah went there on a family holiday when ah wus wee, which ended with ma sisters arguing about something. Very little has changed since that holiday... They still argue over trival things. :giggle:

Graeme1988

Been feeling quite miserable, lately. :sad:

Like, despite aw the good things, there's something missing in ma life.
Is that just me, in a way, wishing that my dad wus still around? :question: Or me wondering how things could've turned for me had I been raised in a more stable family unit, rather than the controlling, deceptful, manipulative bunch I've felt burdened with.

It's been a struggle for me, like. Not just due being born disabled, and how difficult that's made life. But just realising from quite young age that I will always be treated differently, regardless of how I want to be treated.

Though, ah think the hardest thing to come tae terms with is, how ma family treated me growing up, the only male in a female dominated household. Mainly the mixed messages they gave, more than anything. Being told I'm a great person one minute and a useless b@$%@^! the next... :idontknow: But I call them bitches... Oh, that's harsh!

Then they huvin the nerve to plead ignorance as to why the only boy in the immediate family has major self-esteem issues and resent you. :kickingmyself:

Graeme1988

Just a wee rant there, about different things could've been...
Or how not to raise a child if ye want them to succeed in life.

Graeme1988

I merely make a suggestion that seemed quite sensible to me. Didnae ask for my mum's opinion, but she give anyway.
Discouraging me everytime ah attempt do something for me...

"Oh, but ye cannae dae that?"
How? (Why?)"
"Eh, just dinnae. You'll no be able tae do that anyway"
"Thanks for the vote of confidence, there. Always got tae huv it your way, huh?" :alone:​

^ And that's just my mum "trying to help". Naw, she's no undermine me or a putting a big f**k-off dent in ma self-confidence by telling me what I can and can't do. Which to be fair, she's doing most of my life. Bur she sees nuthin' wrong with that.

And, apparently my happiness counts for f**k all - which is always nice tae know. Because my "job" in life is keeping everyone else happy n' content, or it seems to be. Since I always have to justify to those around me my reasons for doing something that makes me happy. :thumbdown:

And my mum yet again admitted, with my sister present, that she's a control freak. Yet everytime I talk her about her habitual obsession with discount offers on food and drink we end up throwing away, I'm in the wrong.

But me still getting treated like, and talk to like a child by my own mother is "hilarious" to my oldest sibling. Hearing me almost swear, going:

"Would you fuc... Stop that, awrite!" Then berating my own my ain mum for how she treats me, pointing out that I'm an adult.​

Ah mean feel bad for constantly huvin to tell her. But it's seems being the youngest means you always been seen as the "baby" of the family. Regardless of whether yer 5, 25 or older...

Graeme1988

Ah think I'll stop trying to relate to people, since ah don't huv an effin' clue about most folk. Might be for the best - just keep quiet. Ah don't fit in anyway, so there's nae point attempting to understand people. :sad: It'd be a waste of my time and theirs, to be honest.

Graeme1988

I wonder what the best age is to do yersel' in at? :thinking: Especially for someone like me, who's living a disability that will gradually worsen physically. Since it's already taken it's toll on me, mentally. Memories issues, and what not, y'know...

Ah know it's not nicest thing to contemplate or even talk about. But I'm just wondering, should I go out early (mid-late 40s) or prolong living with my CP until it gets really bad? :idontknow: Grin and bare it, as I have been doing. Though, I've been thinking about this for well over 10 years now. So I can hardly say I struggle with suicidal thoughts, when me no being here, would actually be better for everybuddy, really.

Graeme1988

Don't know if I should even attempt to mastering this whole recording studio setup? :idontknow: Ah feel really outta my depths for even trying, like.
Also, there's no really end goal as such. :thinking: I can't see myself put anything I record out there.
Since I am quite wary of that, just mere thought of it. Never really had a great deal of confidence in myself as a person, really.
Never felt good enough in many ways.