Och aye the noo

How on earth do ya learn the harmionca i'm wondering. :question: It seems such a tricky little thing. I'll tell ya what, if you learn the chanter & i'll learn the harmonica! :bigsmile:

SpaceTime

...Joe Satriani.
:thumbup: nice one, i especially like his early albums I still listen to Blue Dream and Extremist. Extremist is quite jazzy in a way. Crush of Love is awesome, there used to be a great youtube vid of this live with Stu Hamm on bass, cant find it just now though.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
:thumbup: nice one, i especially like his early albums I still listen to Blue Dream and Extremist. Extremist is quite jazzy in a way. Crush of Love is awesome, there used to be a great youtube vid of this live with Stu Hamm on bass, cant find it just now though.

Surfing With the Alien and Extremist for me. More so the Extremist since that was my introduction to Satriani, and I was just getting into taking my lessons more seriously.

The fella who used to make my leg braces is actually the person who'd got me into Joe Satriani's music.

Yep! I'm actually contemplating my next electric guitar being either the Joe Satriani or Steve Vai signature models. Definitely want an Ibanez guitar. Though, this one looks pretty cool... If a JS or Vai signature is outta my price range.

14123111392358f.jpg

Oh, and I might get the Kirk Hammett signature model for doing Metallica covers.

15020216310016f.jpg

Though, it's purely a tone / sound thing with me. More so than the look - even these guitar all look feckin' awesome. Since Fender are alright if yer playin' Iron Maiden. But for yer heavier stuff you need a couple of humbucker pickups in there.

Or at least, the pickup setup I have on mine isn't ideal for high-gain stuff. And I'd rather buy a new guitar over having to buy new pickups and having my nearest music store do all the labour of fitting the pickups for me.

That said, I'd have enough dosh to part ways with right now and by this beauty:
preview.jpg

Last edited:

Graeme1988

This guitar effects and amp model simulator software has been an absolute money saver, though.

The amount of money I almost wasted trying to get some quality effects pedals and a pedalboard. I'm kinda glad I sold up and decided to go digital hardware or physical. Easier to setup as well.

Graeme1988

Though, the only issue I'm struggle with is getting my speaker setup right, as far a volume goes.
Since the Mesa Boogie amplifer models only run on the distorted channel and are pretty loud, just on their preset setting. :question:
It's time like this, that make me wish that ah paid more attention in music class during secondary school. :bigsmile:

Graeme1988

How on earth do ya learn the harmionca i'm wondering. :question: It seems such a tricky little thing.

Ah don't know... Though, it's an instrument I've always thought about learning to play.
Being a huge fan of blue-rock and country, which uses the harmonica every now and again.

Mind you, I've got a mandolin just sittin' aboot, which ah huv'nae mastered how to play yet, either.
And with me gettin' this MIDI piano/keyboard, there's another instrument to attempt tae master. :eek:mg:

I'll tell ya what, if you learn the chanter & i'll learn the harmonica!

About the bagpipe chanter? Ye might huv tae wait a few months afore ah take ye up on that wee challenge there - early 2017, at least.
Turns oot, it's easier said than done, finding a buddy who teaches the bagpipes locally in ma area. Despite huvin a local pipe band.

But always seems to be the case with living in the town where ah um - we get sweet f**k all as far the local community goes. :thumbdown:

Even when ah wus gettin' guitar lessons, ah hud to convince ma sister to gimme a lift to Dumfries initially, to get group tution. Then to a musicial instrument shop in Annan when ah opted for more one to one lessons. Granted these towns are just a few miles aways - no more than an hours journey at most. But it'd be nice if ah could get lessons more locally.

And I'd be more willing to give the chanter a go, being self-taught. But it's no an instrument I'm overly familiar with or confident enough to approach with a few lessons from someone who knows how to play it first.

It'd be much easer if ah'd spent ma teens and early 20s learning to play a woodwind instrument - like the clarinet.
But that's hardly an instrument which comes with possibilty of gettin' laid. Generally speakin', like. :giggle:

SpaceTime

I was listening to Satch's latest a few weeks ago, Shockwave Supernova, sounds petty good based on a few listens. Possibly a return to form.

They're all awesome lookin guitars man. I used to play guitar but never practised long enough to get anywhere with it. I had lessons for a few months but I think my tutor was getting frustrated with me because I never put in the practise between lessons. Add to that the SA and tryin to work within a group and.... well that was never gonna work with me. :giggle:

Agree with you on Amplitube, I have Guitar Rig which is similar, more bang per buck compared to pedals and so much easier to work with, storing presets etc. I also got into using virtual synths, again much cheaper and flexible than hardware, but this also became a distraction from my guitar, I learned a lot about synths but unfortunately it meant the guitar stayed in the corner of the room. Never mind though, it was fun. These days I'm not making much music, I got frustrated with myself (yet again) for not being able to make any tracks I was happy with, but I'll get back to it one day. Its something I've always been into, but its always been a kind of off / on relationship. :bigsmile:

Graeme1988

I was listening to Satch's latest a few weeks ago, Shockwave Supernova, sounds petty good based on a few listens. Possibly a return to form.

Hmmm... :thinking: Might check that album out then. Didn't think much of Satch's Unstoppable Momentum album.

They're all awesome lookin guitars man. I used to play guitar but never practised long enough to get anywhere with it. I had lessons for a few months but I think my tutor was getting frustrated with me because I never put in the practise between lessons. Add to that the SA and tryin to work within a group and.... well that was never gonna work with me. :giggle:

I know what'cha mean. Still don't know how I coped taking group lessons. Though, it was always playing as a band I found most difficult. More so because we rarely played to a click during music class during secondary school. We're just expected to know the song part well enough, despite having never practised it as a group.

Though, I still hate play in front of family. Or having them listen in on me while I'm playing. Awfy stage fright. Plus, I hate when I play a song they know, because that when they pester me to play it for them. As they gawk at me wide-eyed, which has always distracted me.

Agree with you on Amplitube, I have Guitar Rig which is similar, more bang per buck compared to pedals and so much easier to work with, storing presets etc.

I had Guitar Rig for awhile, but it wus'nae fair impressed by the layout. It was a bit too cramped for my liking. Whereas AmpliTube is set out more like you would if you had yer amp and pedal there in front of you.

Last edited:

Graeme1988

I also got into using virtual synths, again much cheaper and flexible than hardware, but this also became a distraction from my guitar, I learned a lot about synths but unfortunately it meant the guitar stayed in the corner of the room. Never mind though, it was fun.

I'm thinking about getting a MIDI keyboard and some virtual synth software. Mainly because I won't be allowed near ma guitar when my sister and niece come to stay. :thumbdown: Or play my music on my stereo... Hate not being able to blast some metal tunes or instrumental music to start ma day.

These days I'm not making much music, I got frustrated with myself (yet again) for not being able to make any tracks I was happy with, but I'll get back to it one day. Its something I've always been into, but its always been a kind of off / on relationship. :bigsmile:

I'm the opposite to you, then. I actually want to make some music, but don't know enough about the recording side of things. Plus, I'm not sure if any of the ideas I've had in my head could be into full songs? Or if they're any good? :eek:question:

Got at least 7 guitar riffs and melodies I've played over the years, which I can't do anything with, since I lack knowledge of music theory to find a way to connect 'em, or make up other riffs that'd go with what I've already got.

Graeme1988

Wish ah didnae huv this constant fear of everythin' holdin' me back. :sad:
Why can't ah just be "normal" as everybuddy else? :crying:

Now ah've got between noo and May next year to overcome ma vertigo and fear of heights.
Though, ma family are convinced I'm faking for attention so ah guess it's no worth the effort. :kickingmyself:

Wish ah didnae huv this constant fear of everythin' holdin' me back. :sad:
Why can't ah just be "normal" as everybuddy else? :crying:
Yeah, same here mate.

Edit: But on the bright side of things, Metallica's "Hardwired... to Self-Destruct" album is due for release in november :bigsmile:
(i found a couple songs on youtube, and is sounding pretty darn good, as i expected it to)

SpaceTime

I actually want to make some music, but don't know enough about the recording side of things. Plus, I'm not sure if any of the ideas I've had in my head could be into full songs? Or if they're any good?
Got at least 7 guitar riffs and melodies I've played over the years, which I can't do anything with, since I lack knowledge of music theory to find a way to connect 'em, or make up other riffs that'd go with what I've already got.
Yeah, these are exactly the issues I have too. I often get an idea for a tune (I only do instrumentals bcs I cant sing) and I get it recorded but them I'm completely stuck - how to get it from that part to another part. So if Ive got like a chorus part, then how do I write a compatible verse part and how do I join them up?! This has been my big problem in music for many years. I've tried reading all about theory but it just doesn't translate for me into practicalities. A mental block for me. Sometimes Ive managed by some fluke to make a complete track, but then it usually sounds totally boring after 60 seconds because there aren't any key changes or variations or whatever. I started trying to do more ambient type stuff to get around this problem (lol) but even that wasn't a huge success either.:crying:

I did manage to make progress with recording techniques - I think I can get better sounding tracks than a few years ago, so I'm glad Ive progressed in that area at least. And Ive also learned quite a bit about synths and using samples. Have you already got a DAW? I use Studio One, its cool.:perfect:

yeah, thats nice, quite bluesey in places, from super colossal I think, not an album I play so much.

Graeme1988

Yeah, same here mate.

Edit: But on the bright side of things, Metallica's "Hardwired... to Self-Destruct" album is due for release in november :bigsmile:
(i found a couple songs on youtube, and is sounding pretty darn good, as i expected it to)

Yep! Cannae wait for it. Sounds like a potential return to form.

Wus'nae as keen on Moth Into Flame upon first listen, but it's decent. Very similiar to their Kill 'Em All sound, or maybe it's just me who hears that Just hope I can manage to get a ticket for when 'Tallica do announce their UK tour, as it's been a right b@$%@^* trying to get accessible tickets, lately. :thumbdown:

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Yeah, these are exactly the issues I have too. I often get an idea for a tune (I only do instrumentals bcs I cant sing) and I get it recorded but them I'm completely stuck - how to get it from that part to another part. So if Ive got like a chorus part, then how do I write a compatible verse part and how do I join them up?! This has been my big problem in music for many years. I've tried reading all about theory but it just doesn't translate for me into practicalities. A mental block for me. Sometimes Ive managed by some fluke to make a complete track, but then it usually sounds totally boring after 60 seconds because there aren't any key changes or variations or whatever. I started trying to do more ambient type stuff to get around this problem (lol) but even that wasn't a huge success either.:crying:

Well, I've been telt I'm decent enough at singing, When I'm singing along to my favourite songs, like my mum or sister will catch me singing along to Iron Maiden or Guns N' Roses. But in all honest - I'm shite! Or, at least, too shy and not confident enough to do it right.

Ah mean, I've a few riff ideas - 2 of which I'd managed to realise were varied enough to be different, but in the same key as to fit together musically. At least, I think they're in the same key. :question: Music theory never computed with me, either.

I did manage to make progress with recording techniques - I think I can get better sounding tracks than a few years ago, so I'm glad Ive progressed in that area at least. And Ive also learned quite a bit about synths and using samples. Have you already got a DAW? I use Studio One, its cool.:perfect:

Nope! Ah huv'nae got a clue when it comes to the recording side of things, sadly. So I'm very much a novice when it comes to mixing and getting the best sound quality.

Though, a cousin of my oldest sister's step-brother recommended this DAW to me when I asked about recording software a year ago. But I don't know if it's any good.

maxresdefault.jpg

There's an 8-track recorder and 4 track looper within AmpliTube, but it's kinda limited as far what you can do with the sound mix and after effects goes. At least, it is for me anyway. But it's fine for demoing stuff and working on song ideas.

I mean, would Studio One be ideal for guitar and synths. As I'd be using to different laptops for either. I've got a MacBook with AmpliTube, EZdrummer and EZMix installed. And I'm thinking about using my Windows laptop for making synth and ambient music - as I'd just need a MIDI keyboard for that. And maybe a small set of desktop speakers ? Since I'll be wall-mounting my KRK Rockit to use with my MacBook.

yeah, thats nice, quite bluesey in places, from super colossal I think, not an album I play so much.

Not an album I've actually got or listened to. But then, ah kinda stop listening to Satriani and haven't actually hear much of his stuff, beyond the Live In San Francisco album.

SpaceTime

I mean, would Studio One be ideal for guitar and synths. As I'd be using to different laptops for either. I've got a MacBook with AmpliTube, EZdrummer and EZMix installed. And I'm thinking about using my Windows laptop for making synth and ambient music - as I'd just need a MIDI keyboard for that. And maybe a small set of desktop speakers ? Since I'll be wall-mounting my KRK Rockit to use with my MacBook.
Studio One is great for guitar and for software synths. But there are three version of S1, Prime is free, Artist is £69 and Pro is £279.
The thing to watch out for is the free version, 'Studio One Prime', doesn't support VST which is the standard used for most software synths and FX, this means you cant use most 3rd party plugins, but you can use the synths that come bundled with S1. Artist will only support VST with an add-on (I dunno how much that costs).

Ive got S1 Pro now but I started out buying a Presonus Audio Interface box for my PC. That came with a free version of S1. I then got Artist upgrade for half price, then got Pro upgrade reduced so if you watch for the deals and you are able to bide your time you can get to Pro for a lot less than £279.

What I love about S1 is its usability, lots of stuff is drag n drop and its very intuitive. I used to use Cubase but found it a 'mare in usability, I wouldn't go back. Reaper is very affordable at 60 quid for non-commercial use. Ive never tried it but it looks good and has a big user base. All the features are there from day one. But there are dozens of DAWs to choose from and they all have their fans.

With speakers then you want to use something half decent else you will find you cant mix your tracks properly eg if you have tiny and tinny speakers you'll end up cranking up the bass to compensate and then when someone else plays your track on a decent system the bass will be too boomy.

(EZDrummer is great btw!)

Graeme1988

Studio One is great for guitar and for software synths. But there are three version of S1, Prime is free, Artist is £69 and Pro is £279.
The thing to watch out for is the free version, 'Studio One Prime', doesn't support VST which is the standard used for most software synths and FX, this means you cant use most 3rd party plugins, but you can use the synths that come bundled with S1. Artist will only support VST with an add-on (I dunno how much that costs).

Ive got S1 Pro now but I started out buying a Presonus Audio Interface box for my PC. That came with a free version of S1. I then got Artist upgrade for half price, then got Pro upgrade reduced so if you watch for the deals and you are able to bide your time you can get to Pro for a lot less than £279.

What I love about S1 is its usability, lots of stuff is drag n drop and its very intuitive. I used to use Cubase but found it a 'mare in usability, I wouldn't go back. Reaper is very affordable at 60 quid for non-commercial use. Ive never tried it but it looks good and has a big user base. All the features are there from day one. But there are dozens of DAWs to choose from and they all have their fans.

So, going by what you've said about the free version of Studio One, and feel free to correct me, but it won't support the plugins either for AmpliTube or EZdrummer? Meaning I couldn't record a guitar or drums from either of those programs into Studio One?

But I'll look into, might have enough money to S1 Pro in the new year. :question:
Though, that could mean sacrificing getting those tattoos done. :idontknow:

With speakers then you want to use something half decent else you will find you cant mix your tracks properly eg if you have tiny and tinny speakers you'll end up cranking up the bass to compensate and then when someone else plays your track on a decent system the bass will be too boomy.

So, just stick with these KRK Rokits I got for just over £300, and bundled with a Focusrite audio interface?

Untitled-1.png

If so, then it looks like my bedroom will be doubling as a recording studio. Much to my family's delight. Guess I could just use my other laptop for working out ideas. Just get the free version of Studio One and mess about with synths and that...

I'm guessing that's possible, right? Or huv ah completely misunderstood your post?

(EZDrummer is great btw!)

Aye, it is. I've got the latest version. Though ah'll get more use out of it once I get a MIDI keyboard.

Thanks for the helpful info, btw. :thumbup: You just saved me a lotta time searching through online music-related forums.

Oh, and I might as well ask, since you mentioned speakers. Don't know if that pic is clear enough? But see the volume and level controls, what the best decibel level to have those at, for the more high gain amps, like Mesa Boogie? Or just generally speaking? Or would figuring out how to set the noise gate threshold in AmpliTube resolve the clipping issue I'm getting with the volume?