Non understanding, controlling sister

myheartisastone

Sister making SA worse... advice needed.

I want to talk about something that I haven't really confronted my sister with yet. An intro about me/her:

My sister is three years younger than me. I've talked to her about some ways that I feel about myself, and although she's not a bad person, at times - especially in social situations - being around her is like a landmine of slights. I don't think she understands what it's like for me. (I apologize, this will be long):

I haven't been formally diagnosed with SAD, but for as long as I can remember, i've felt inferior to other people and as if they never like me. I'm quiet and introverted ... although i'm polite and good natured, I feel like this means most people don't like me. I generally assume people don't like me, even when i'm friends with someone and they tell me they like me, I generally assume they are just being nice. I am used to being alone, though. So maybe that has something to do with it. (Also came from an emotionally abusive childhood too, so...)

I can hold a conversation. I just hate small talk. If the conversation is about something I know a lot about, I have no problem with it. I do feel anxious all the time around people, though. Even at my job -- especially there. I'm a tutor at a college. I have no problem tutoring students because it makes me feel good to help them. It's just the social politics around the place that I find challenging sometimes.

However, I feel the most anxious especially around my sister. I have for a while. My sister is different from me in many ways - she wants to believe she's confident, but the things she says/does make me believe otherwise (why do you need to constantly/pick on/scrutinize someone if you are?). I honestly want to believe she does not do/say these things on purpose, but since i'm her sister, I feel like she should know not to do/say these things, especially since i've tried talking to her about it.

I'm one of those quiet people who hates confrontation. Usually I just keep it inside because rarely it goes well if I don't. That doesn't do well for my depression.

Anyway. I'm also a very observant person - I like to listen rather than mingle. Sometimes I get the feeling that even though I try my best to be friendly and polite, people still think i'm snobby, or rude, or whatever else just because i'm not like them.

So, a list of stuff my sister has said to me in various locations --- all of it in a social situation:

her and I were in NY (where she lives), and she had bought me these really ugly crock shoes --- they hurt my feet like hell, but not being the one to complain, since she was buying them, I went with it. She even told be while I was there, something to the effect of "sit down" or "start looking around" ... can't remember which. (I'll get to her bossiness later.)

So, she bought the shoes which hurt my feet, and then there was the walking. As people who live in NY know, there is a lot of walking. We walked to a small restaurant to meet my cousin and his friend for dinner.

By the time we got there, my feet were in a lot of pain. Of course, I am used to not complaining (in person/directly) because blah blah who wants to listen to that and i'm not important anyway, so, I dealt with it.

We sit down at the table, and I was really tired. A few minutes before they arrived, my sister looks at me and goes "are you going to talk?"

... well, she always asks absurd questions like this. One: no one had arrived yet. I was tired ... is it okay to NOT talk, for like 10 minutes?

Didn't really know to to respond to this, forgot what I actually said. The dinner went fine and yes, I did ... "force" myself to talk because my sister usually makes me feel like i'm "rude" if I don't act the way she wants me to.

On more than one occasion - when her and I would go for walks, she's used the entire time completely scrutinizing single mistake i've made:

"do you look where you're going?" "do you WATCH where you're going?" "you didn't hold the door open for that person! that's rude!"

always, constantly constantly scrutinizing everything i'm doing. Except for the last time when she visited me for my birthday - she didn't do it once.

Later on, as we were walking back to her apartment, she and I attempted to discuss how much more "open" I "should" be. I find it ironic that people want me to be "open" and "honest", yet when I am that way or when I attempt to be that way, people (such as my sister) don't really like what I have to say; they either interrupt me or talk over me, or cut me off ... as if what I have to say, is not important. My dad does this also.

But yet, I should be "more open" and "honest" (translation: as long as people agree with me, I guess.)

Or, another time -- when I was on the bus with my sister and she had asked me a question about if my ds could get wifi -- and I replied that yes, it could, and attempted to explain how it could, but apparently I was "too loud" (I wasn't really, I didn't shout, it was kind of quiet and I guess my voice was a tad bit louder than other people's) ... she immediately cut me off and then smiled, as if she knew she was being rude by doing so, and then said something about me being "too loud" or something.

As if she cares about other people's judgment of HER rather than the fact she was being rude by cutting me off. Always little things like that.

But yet, i'm supposed to want to talk to people.

But yet, i'm supposed to think that people care about what I have to say, and i'm supposed to find myself important. Kind of hard to do that when people -especially people who claim to care about me- constantly make me feel like i'm worthless and everything I say and do is stupid and wrong.

Or, more recently, when she referred me to a therapist - she sent me his page and email address, but had some weird instructions: she told me what to say to him firstly, and secondly that I show her my reply to him. I found this really weird, and didn't do it.

Isn't my correspondence to him between him and I, NOT her? why does she need to see it?

Does she not trust my ability to send an email? did she want to pick apart my email? I don't get it. It's honestly pretty frustrating and pretty insulting. I have a feeling that she knows this too she said during the phone call when she was telling me ("Am I being too controlling")? I didn't respond but felt like saying "not more than usual."

I honestly get the feeling that my sister doesn't really enjoy being with me ... i'm only there to make her feel better about herself when she needs someone to criticize. I don't know if that is true or not. I hope it isn't.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with a bossy/controlling person like this? and what's worse, if that it will start an argument if I confront her about it, so I don't.

There are many, many more incidents like that, but if I explained them all, this post would be entirely too long. Perhaps i'll save them for a future post. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Srijita52

I'm sorry you're going through this, I agree with joule though. Have you tried talking to her about how does her behaviour make you feel? Tell her that you understand her point but you have your own preferences and she's the one who's being "rude" sometimes. If she tries to cut you off, tell her not to change the subject. You may have to repeat yourself a few times untill she can understand. Also when she tries to force you, tell her you're not okay with that. Keep a firm voice. Good luck.

Slytherin88

Age is a big thing. My sister seems to have some same traits as you have described yours and I put it down a lot to her being 10 years older than me, I'm 25, we never grew up together and we were raised differently. We are different people, and yes there is blood there, but do I like her? Not really.

R3K

Re: Sister making SA worse... advice needed.

I honestly get the feeling that my sister doesn't really enjoy being with me ... i'm only there to make her feel better about herself when she needs someone to criticize.

^it's this, most nearly completely.

my best friend does the same sh|t to my @$$. his life is all up and down, drugs, DUI's, strip clubs, wives, illegitimate sons, divorces, high paying jobs, unemployment, etc. he's all over the damn place... and when he sees my meek, straight-line and necessarily mellow @$$, he just has to pick apart my whole game with the monitor marker like john madden. "This is what you're wearing, this is the face you're making (circling shit with the marker), this is how you should dress, you shouldn't wear that, people think this and that about you blah blah."

i'm in a little better position than you though, I think, cause I retort and counter-criticize, and we have these borderline diss/argument sessions. i be like "well your 1990's bob sagget hairdo is pretty Rtarded."

I don't kno if you counter-criticize your sister or not. if you don't, then, well this might not be the best advice but... maybe you should :idontknow:

sahxox

My younger sister (2 years) treats me a lot in the same way. I got so sick of being hurt (I'm overly sensitive :/) that I learnt to retaliate by being completely nasty back. Just to see her face drop in the same way that she makes me feel.
It caused bad blood, and after a couple of days of not talking, we'll break it down and get to the source. I'll listen as she bags me out and tells me how nasty I've been, then I'll explain to her little brain that it was reactive to her behaviour. Often things will get very good from here; she will be very courteous and apologise if she thinks what she is saying, even in jest, might hurt me. I will feel remorseful for my treatment, even if it was called for, and we'll get along well for about a week or two. Then the cycle repeats to various extents but what I described was the most extreme scenario.
Contrasting personality traits; thoughtful and sensitive vs dominant and slightly less intelligent. Love/hate.

myheartisastone

Thank you all for the advice.

To be honest, my sister is not generally mean-spirited. But she IS critical, generally demanding at times and bossy. I would say "less intelligent" but that sounds like an arrogant judgment ... after all, who am I to say i'm a genius? i'm not, even though everyone comes to me for computer issues and whatnot; I was the first in my (immediate) family to graduate from college .. I generally feel like people don't see my merits - they only see the mistakes I make.

Generally, many people in my family (and some outside of it) have treated me since I was small in a condescending/patronizing manner, kind of like they look down on me and underestimate me, even if I am a lot more intelligent than these (a few of them are abusive) people. I am not sure if it's because of my personality type - i'm quiet and generally reserved, so perhaps people feel this gives them free reign over me? not sure, but I resent them for it.

I am not sure if my sister does this on purpose - but it's basically always been that way. She always has something to say about everything I do - as if nothing I do is good enough. It's like I need to constantly please everyone, and I can't.

R3K

My younger sister (2 years) treats me a lot in the same way. I got so sick of being hurt (I'm overly sensitive :/) that I learnt to retaliate by being completely nasty back. Just to see her face drop in the same way that she makes me feel.

It caused bad blood, and after a couple of days of not talking, we'll break it down and get to the source. I'll listen as she bags me out and tells me how nasty I've been, then I'll explain to her little brain that it was reactive to her behaviour. Often things will get very good from here; she will be very courteous and apologise if she thinks what she is saying, even in jest, might hurt me. I will feel remorseful for my treatment, even if it was called for, and we'll get along well for about a week or two. Then the cycle repeats to various extents but what I described was the most extreme scenario.
Contrasting personality traits; thoughtful and sensitive vs dominant and slightly less intelligent. Love/hate.

ya see, Sahxox's situation with her sis is at least more balanced. they have the potential to eventually be BFF, hate-free status someday because they're both laying stuff out on the table--they're going through the motions (however nasty it may be).

Thank you all for the advice.
Generally, many people in my family (and some outside of it) have treated me since I was small in a condescending/patronizing manner, kind of like they look down on me and underestimate me, even if I am a lot more intelligent than these (a few of them are abusive) people. I am not sure if it's because of my personality type - i'm quiet and generally reserved, so perhaps people feel this gives them free reign over me? not sure, but I resent them for it.
I am not sure if my sister does this on purpose - but it's basically always been that way. She always has something to say about everything I do - as if nothing I do is good enough. It's like I need to constantly please everyone, and I can't.

ok so it seems like she's kinda been bred over time to denigrate you, because every1 else in your social circle's been doing it since you were a kid. and since you were the first with a college degree, that naturally made them all envious, and we all know what envy does to ppl. hard (but not impossible) to blame them for this programmed behavior they possess.

however the double-edged blade swings both ways... just because you have brains and they suck doesn't mean they should get away with ignorant, self-satisfying criticizm launched only in your direction.

you're in charge of yourself, and you have to take care of yourself firstly, you weren't put on this earth to please other ppl like some kind of social slave. you gotta put your foot down and check her @$$ once in a while, whether it's verbally, non-verbally, cleverly or bluntlike... if you don't stick up for yourself in some way and snap her out of this pattern she's in, then she (and others in your social circle) are just gonna continue with this band-wagon'y, time-fostered pattern they're in, because it's easy and convenient for them to make themselves feel better off you if they know you're a soft target for life.

this less-nasty, relevence-squashing phrase set always works for me:

criticizer: "Jason, why do you wear those dumb shoes they look stupid?"
me: "cause that's how i roll, baby."
criticizer: "well if you want to look like a bum then keep wearing them."
me: "you can hate it or love it, i don't give a shit."

criticiser: "Jason, how come you never talk when we're hanging out iwth other ppl?"
me "cause that's how i roll, baby."
criticizer: "well you're making it difficult for us to fit in with these ppl they think we're weirdos now because of you."
me "you can hate it or love it, i don't give a shit."

sorry if that was long and lecture'y :)

myheartisastone

ya see, Sahxox's situation with her sis is at least more balanced. they have the potential to eventually be BFF, hate-free status someday because they're both laying stuff out on the table--they're going through the motions (however nasty it may be).

ok so it seems like she's kinda been bred over time to denigrate you, because every1 else in your social circle's been doing it since you were a kid. and since you were the first with a college degree, that naturally made them all envious, and we all know what envy does to ppl. hard (but not impossible) to blame them for this programmed behavior they possess.

however the double-edged blade swings both ways... just because you have brains and they suck doesn't mean they should get away with ignorant, self-satisfying criticizm launched only in your direction.

you're in charge of yourself, and you have to take care of yourself firstly, you weren't put on this earth to please other ppl like some kind of social slave. you gotta put your foot down and check her @$$ once in a while, whether it's verbally, non-verbally, cleverly or bluntlike... if you don't stick up for yourself in some way and snap her out of this pattern she's in, then she (and others in your social circle) are just gonna continue with this band-wagon'y, time-fostered pattern they're in, because it's easy and convenient for them to make themselves feel better off you if they know you're a soft target for life.

this less-nasty, relevence-squashing phrase set always works for me:

criticizer: "Jason, why do you wear those dumb shoes they look stupid?"
me: "cause that's how i roll, baby."
criticizer: "well if you want to look like a bum then keep wearing them."
me: "you can hate it or love it, i don't give a shit."

criticiser: "Jason, how come you never talk when we're hanging out iwth other ppl?"
me "cause that's how i roll, baby."
criticizer: "well you're making it difficult for us to fit in with these ppl they think we're weirdos now because of you."
me "you can hate it or love it, i don't give a shit."

sorry if that was long and lecture'y :)