More depressed from exercise?

nicknamehere

I don't know if it's a coincidence which I've been feeling low for the past week, but I did some exercise for the first time which was great, but the next day I felt really horrible (mentally).
I read somewhere this is a sign of toxins releasing from your body, thus making these depressive thoughts. Anyone?

sevenroses

Not an expert or anything but I heard if you overexercise you begin to release cortisol which in turn makes you more depressed. Might be that you are over exercising my friend.

Jake123

Banned
If you're not used to it it's normal to feel like crap the day after... It goes away though, so keep it up :)

lunaticbinge

Usually exercising makes me feel better but lately it's just been pissing me off. Probably because I'm realizing it doesn't matter how fit you are when you can't even talk to anyone.

Ashiene

exercise makes me feel so much worse, so i don't like to exercise. instead, i eat to forget about my anxiety (if only for a few minutes).

anxiety1408

It used to make me more depressed.. because I did a fair bit of exercise and I wasn't getting the results I wanted.. I can thoroughly relate to what your saying!

UnOccupied

Usually exercising makes me feel better but lately it's just been pissing me off. Probably because I'm realizing it doesn't matter how fit you are when you can't even talk to anyone.

I am the EXACT same way! Omg, word for word, thats exactly how i feel

Also, the only exercise i don't mind doing is long distance running, because going to the gym is very challenging for me, with all the people there. And, i just focus on all the people judging me at the gym, as opposed to my workout. Even with running sometimes, i feel people are watching me from their houes, and it makes me feel more anxious, then depressed.:confused:

fitftw

THIS TIMES A BILLION. I'm a decent-looking guy in good shape, but I still don't get women or have friends because I refuse to talk to anyone.

It depends on the exercise in my experience, try differnt ones that make u feel good, offcouse not just exercise on its own will change how you feel its your whole life style, eating & drinking healthy plays a huge part and getting around 8 hours of sleep per night. Going for short walks in the morining and at night make me feel good.

EscapeArtist

I think the toxins thing is a decent theory about why you feel worse after you exercise. Toxins is such a mythical sounding word but they do exist, in dormant mass quantities in our bodies. The more you squeeze out of your body, the better you will feel eventually. Normally one feels worse before one feels better, especially if toxins/bacteria are involved...

SilverRain

Sadly I don't have any decent advice to give here, as I've never connected any next day mood/mental changes to exercise in itself, but that's certainly given me some food for thought. This calls for some research I think.

Running itself is my treasured escape method, the one thing I can actually do to get away from people, places and sometimes thoughts/feelings that I don't want to have to face. And it usually makes me feel a lot better - at least for a short time anyway, as I don't have the energy to keep it up for long - but it's good while it lasts. On the other hand, the fact that it makes me feel so good while I'm actually doing it, means that the aftermath is like holding a steak out to a starving man and then whisking it away again, with me feeling significantly lower/frustrated because of my physical limitations. Running gets me high, so the inevitable slowdown always makes me feel the loss of that high, which is a feeling I'd prefer to do without. If only I had more stamina...

UnOccupied said:
Also, the only exercise i don't mind doing is long distance running, because going to the gym is very challenging for me, with all the people there. And, i just focus on all the people judging me at the gym, as opposed to my workout. Even with running sometimes, i feel people are watching me from their houes, and it makes me feel more anxious, then depressed.
^ Ditto that, I feel the same way. That's the other big obstacle in all this, and it's the reason why I'm always on the lookout for places with as few people as possible to run, becoming frustrated when they seem to come from everywhere. Natural places are always good, but so very hard to find nowadays. *sigh*