Mind goes blank?!?

gsmax5

I have this problem when I talk to people. It'll be my turn in a conversation and I just completely forget everything about everything. Examples: My interests (grrr...i hate it when people ask about my interests and hobbies because my only interest or hobby is the internet), my name, other random crap.

This is especially frustrating in awkward silences. I'll want to say something, but my mind is totally blank and I am left unable to think about anything but the fact that I can't think of anything. ARRGGHHH!!! This is the vicious cycle in its worst form.

I_jailed_me

Tell them you haven't found any hobbies yet! Tell them you usually stare at the computer screen the whole day may be you can make it a joke!

DarkSeeker

Yea, it's either that or if I think of something I don't want to say it because I know it would get me into trouble, as it did so many times before.

I'm the exact same way, even on the phone. Suddenly you feel like an impostor in your own skin. See my 'Trouble Speaking' thread, I talked a little about this.

mrb

i only have that in crowds of people in confined spaces if there all talking to me , if im outside im sort of not to bad

I also got this when i'm anxious.
And I also have problems with 'starting a conversation' , im afraid to say my things

Stacey89

I feel exactly the same way. I hate when i am with people that i don't know that well and I have no idea what to talk to them about, my mind just goes completely blank. If they try to start a conversation I normally just give them one word answers because I don't really know what to say to move the conversation forward.

Noca

Banned
I was basically mute before stimulants entered my life for the first time. Now I seem to have developed decent social skills, those of which I wonder would go away if I stopped all stimulants.

Iseesky

I have this problem sometimes. I was talking to a girl at college a few weeks ago and she asked me what other courses I was taking besides the one were were currently in. I completely blanked out and couldn't remember! Of course, I looked and felt like an idiot! I just told her that I was tired and couldn't remember. She looked at me really strangely. Haha w/e

gsmax5

I have this problem sometimes. I was talking to a girl at college a few weeks ago and she asked me what other courses I was taking besides the one were were currently in. I completely blanked out and couldn't remember! Of course, I looked and felt like an idiot! I just told her that I was tired and couldn't remember. She looked at me really strangely. Haha w/e

That same thing has actually happened to me too. Someone asked me what my classes were and it took me 10 minutes just to think of them all. I could tell from her stare that she thought it was really weird that it took me so much effort to think of classes that I go to every day.

DillJenkins

Good ole' blank mind syndrome. I get this all the time. I think this is perhaps one of the most disabling aspects of SA.

Research suggests that its due to increase amygdala activity and reduced frontal cortex activity. Amygdala mediates the flight or fight response to perceived environmental threats. It makes sense that if your perceiving a social threat that your mind wont work proper until the threat is gone. This explains why I usually think of stuff I "should have" said after the "social threat" has passed.

The only thing that helps me with blank mind is cannabis. Even large doses of benzos dont help with blank mind for me. Reefer makes my thoughts go into overdrive and it seems I always have something to say whilst blazed. I get real talkative when baked for some reason. It seems to make others worse in this respect. Very weird drug.

gsmax5

Good ole' blank mind syndrome. I get this all the time. I think this is perhaps one of the most disabling aspects of SA.

Research suggests that its due to increase amygdala activity and reduced frontal cortex activity. Amygdala mediates the flight or fight response to perceived environmental threats. It makes sense that if your perceiving a social threat that your mind wont work proper until the threat is gone. This explains why I usually think of stuff I "should have" said after the "social threat" has passed.

The only thing that helps me with blank mind is cannabis. Even large doses of benzos dont help with blank mind for me. Reefer makes my thoughts go into overdrive and it seems I always have something to say whilst blazed. I get real talkative when baked for some reason. It seems to make others worse in this respect. Very weird drug.

Nice info Mr. Scientist. I'm gonna look into that!

Richey

i forgot what the thread was about, lol.
srsly though i find myself staring into space alot and forgetting things but only because i dont place much importance on certain things. like if my dad says to me "a man will call today his name is john smith about a quote on blah blah, derp!" ....i generally forget because inside i don't really care because its not my business..so in a way i'm probably too selfish or something, lol, help meh.