Meet my best friends

MNM322

IMG_1604.jpg

They are therapy dogs as well, and help kids with reading issues and visit elderly in homes.... of course, they are mostly therapy for me :)

HappySquidward

They're both pretty dogs:)
What breed are they?
How old are they?
What's their names?
And how exactly do they help kids with reading issuses:confused:

I'm just curious...

MNM322

Hi!! Thanks for asking about them. White one...Dodger, age 10...husky/shep mix
Black one...Patch... age "about 9" and a cattle dog/husky mix

They are involved in something called R.E.A.D. and its a program for therapy dogs to work with kids who can't read well, or at their grade level etc. Basically we get 1 kid at a time, and they come in and read to the dogs, and I am the only human in the room with them, to be there if they get stuck on words etc... but they get to lay by the dogs, pet them and such.... and apparently studies say that alot of kids who go through this program get better at reading. They are often scared to "Read aloud" in class due to being mocked by peers and since dogs wont mock them... it helps them gain reading experience/confidence.

HappySquidward

I had some reading issuses when I was a young kid. Wish I could have gone through one of those programs. Sounds kinda fun:)

MNM322

Me too, I have dyslexia and it was hell in school. I am happy to give back though and its helped me to some degree with social issues, forcing me to talk to new people.... but I still have issues outside of volunteering sometimes

MikeyC

They are involved in something called R.E.A.D. and its a program for therapy dogs to work with kids who can't read well, or at their grade level etc. Basically we get 1 kid at a time, and they come in and read to the dogs, and I am the only human in the room with them, to be there if they get stuck on words etc... but they get to lay by the dogs, pet them and such.... and apparently studies say that alot of kids who go through this program get better at reading. They are often scared to "Read aloud" in class due to being mocked by peers and since dogs wont mock them... it helps them gain reading experience/confidence.
I've never heard of such a program before but that is a really great idea.

Awesome dogs.