Maybe That's Why I Love Video Games

dannyboy65

A friend got me hooked on it. First couple episodes I was kind of "ok, this is all right" after a few more I was watching like 4 or 5 at a time going "holy **** this is awesome!!" Got a little weepy at the end too, not ashamed.

L was my favorite character, Light was epic also. The whole damn anime kept you on the edge of your seat I found.

squidgee

Yup, definitely can relate to this one.

The games don't even have to have really great gameplay, just having an intriguing setting really makes me wonder what it would be like to live as the characters you play as. For example, underground Moscow with all its rivalling factions really fascinates me in Metro 2033/Last Light, even though I probably wouldn't last more than a few days if I actually lived in that dystopia. I suppose the escapism part may come from the prospect of actually serving some sort of purpose in the game, having to worry about other, more noble things besides anxiety, mattering to other characters.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

xZIqNKh.jpg

Sad, but true.

MotherWolff

Banned
I was looking at myself and wondering why I play video games a lot. I now know why, its like the same reason I read comic books. When I play them my mind clears up and thinks about the book or video games. Me being afraid of pretty much everything and always worrying. I love not having to think of anxiety, depression, or all the things that trouble me. It's an escape, and over the past year me and my life coach found ways that I could use this but not over use it. I would have to say my favorite games are Role Playing Games. Because you build a version of you for that world, and when I do that I feel like I'm in a different world making a difference. It makes me feel good, and in the game I can fight my own battles without feeling awkward.

Does anyone else here use video games for an escape?

That kinda reminds me of why I play videogames alot. Except for me, I play games like Tekken or Mortal Kombat and I fantasize that the person I am playing as is me killing the other person I am fighting, and I see the person I am fighting as a real life foe( my Dad's wife or in-laws for example). Makes me feel so good. I love pain.....especially other people's pain.:applause:

JuiceB

I'm often told I'm too old to be playing video games but yeah, it's the only thing that keeps my mind off my problems.

I also love to write fiction, and when I do it's always first person. I also use my writing skills for dungeons and dragons games with my friends which is fun too.
I 've tried tried to finish writing a particular story since starting in 2010. I'll give it another 5 years because I'm absolutely horrible at it.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I'm often told I'm too old to be playing video games but yeah, it's the only thing that keeps my mind off my problems.

Mate, screw what anyone else thinks! I have a workmate thats 59 who loves his PS3.
Times are changing in this respect. I mean, the generation that grew up as youngsters playing Atari consoles in their lounge rooms and table top arcade games in fish and chip shops are now middle aged.

I've said in posts before, vid games have evolved to become much more than just two white lines bouncing a dot back and forth.

They are now your fav book and movie rolled into one and you get to participate as the main character. It can be movie/story telling at its finest.