Maybe That's Why I Love Video Games

dannyboy65

I was looking at myself and wondering why I play video games a lot. I now know why, its like the same reason I read comic books. When I play them my mind clears up and thinks about the book or video games. Me being afraid of pretty much everything and always worrying. I love not having to think of anxiety, depression, or all the things that trouble me. It's an escape, and over the past year me and my life coach found ways that I could use this but not over use it. I would have to say my favorite games are Role Playing Games. Because you build a version of you for that world, and when I do that I feel like I'm in a different world making a difference. It makes me feel good, and in the game I can fight my own battles without feeling awkward.

Does anyone else here use video games for an escape?

chibiXphantom

i do. i tend to get really into a game and kind of forget about reality and myself for a while.
i also use video games for stress relief

Yes. But I wish I hadn't spent my life playing video games when I was younger instead of working on my problems. Big waste of my time :thumbup: Oh well, you learn! :applause:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Yea i just splashed out on a PS4 and a 65 inch TV just so i could play 'The Last of us' lol.

I love gaming. I read heaps of fantasy books when I was growing up, but now gaming - especially RPG has evolved where its great story telling, but you make the choices in that story. You become the main character.
Its become your favorite book and movie in one, with you as the main character.
Some of the worlds you can delve into are so detailed, so amazing.

A few of my fav RPG's are;
Morrowind (the first ever to totally hook me)
Zelda Ocarina of time
Oblivion
Skyrim (I bought a pimped out gaming PC just so I could walk the mountains in all their glory lol)
The Walking Dead game
World O Warcraft (played from BC right through till now)
Fallout
Thief

Over the years I've fallen in love with these games. Some people don't understand why.
I say 'well instead of sitting in front of the TV for 3-4 hours, I prefer to keep my mind thinking and become involved in the story.'

Last edited:

dannyboy65

Exactly games like call of duty or battlefield I don't find that fun. I love being the creating the story and building a character that is good or evil.

Solitude

Yup, games are my biggest escape. It takes you to another world, where temporarily, your problems don't matter. I play nearly all genres, but I enjoy RPGs the most. I've played WoW since vanilla, up until just recently. Currently playing Skyrim again, D3, and thinking about giving ESO another shot.

It's an escape, and over the past year me and my life coach found ways that I could use this but not over use it.

I think this is the key - moderation. I know I'm guilty of over using games. There have been times where if I wasn't working, I'd be gaming for 12+ hours a day. Looking back at it, I think this has probably made my SA worse, but it feels so good at the time!

Over the years I've fallen in love with these games. Some people don't understand why.
I say 'well instead of sitting in front of the TV for 3-4 hours, I prefer to keep my mind thinking and become involved in the story.'

I say this all the time too. I enjoy a little TV and movies, but I'd much rather play a game where you can interact with the story and make your own choices.

dannyboy65

Yup, games are my biggest escape. It takes you to another world, where temporarily, your problems don't matter. I play nearly all genres, but I enjoy RPGs the most. I've played WoW since vanilla, up until just recently. Currently playing Skyrim again, D3, and thinking about giving ESO another shot.

I think this is the key - moderation. I know I'm guilty of over using games. There have been times where if I wasn't working, I'd be gaming for 12+ hours a day. Looking back at it, I think this has probably made my SA worse, but it feels so good at the time!

Yes I too used to play them non stop, now it is only when everything important is done or if its on my break.

I somehow knew it was you who made this thread lol, I like video games with awesome stories and twists, like Bioshock, I got really into that game. Skyrim is an example of a game that I played way too much and felt for a time that I was living in that world, you know what I mean if you played it, it looks so good and the place is big, lots to do.

justme_

I do..^^! And the best thing about video games for me is that if you mess up you can always start over or even if you do and don't start over it's fine since no-one in the game won't judge..^^ sorry i sound quite depressing..O_O

MollyBeGood

Everyone loves escapism.

..... Anything not to feel what we are actually feeling or be who we really are....

It's a perfect storm of fantasy and denial =)

dannyboy65

I somehow knew it was you who made this thread lol, I like video games with awesome stories and twists, like Bioshock, I got really into that game. Skyrim is an example of a game that I played way too much and felt for a time that I was living in that world, you know what I mean if you played it, it looks so good and the place is big, lots to do.

Exactly that's the game I'm currently into at the moment, that and fallout 3. For me being able to be a mage and use magic fascinates me. The creatures you fight, the difference you can make, the stories you can tell. It all makes me happy.

dannyboy65

I do understand you, that's why I love books, games, sometimes I think I'm the character of the book lol

I also love to write fiction, and when I do it's always first person. I also use my writing skills for dungeons and dragons games with my friends which is fun too.

Argentum

It's gotten harder and harder as I age. When I was growing up, RPGs like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy were my "world". Eventually I lost the ability to totally engage in them without nagging thoughts about the real world where studies were piling up.

Luckylife

I have mainly realistic stuff such as Gran Tourismo or Energy Airforce. I had a friend over and I did a few laps of the LeMans circuit. 3m 40s in a Toyota GT-One, you know then I put her on it. She has a road licence and is an experienced driver but could barely keep the cars on the track with GT, there is so little feedback compared to the real thing. Helicopter and flight sims I also really excel at but its because. I took an IQ test and scored 129. Memory wasn't very good, not very creative either but Spatial Awareness was like 97%, an enormous score; and since we often enjoy what we are good at...

planetweirdo

I was looking at myself and wondering why I play video games a lot. I now know why, its like the same reason I read comic books. When I play them my mind clears up and thinks about the book or video games. Me being afraid of pretty much everything and always worrying. I love not having to think of anxiety, depression, or all the things that trouble me. It's an escape, and over the past year me and my life coach found ways that I could use this but not over use it. I would have to say my favorite games are Role Playing Games. Because you build a version of you for that world, and when I do that I feel like I'm in a different world making a difference. It makes me feel good, and in the game I can fight my own battles without feeling awkward.

Does anyone else here use video games for an escape?

Yes, I love playing video games to escape, and use video games to clear my mind of anxiety and depression. I like open-world games like skyrim that allows you to create you own character and free roam. I also feel like I'm in a world where I can make a difference when I play those games.
I also like to escape by making up my own fantasy worlds. I have a vivid imagination and can send hours in my own fantasy worlds.

Metal_isthe_Answer

Games are the best way to escape without resorting to heavy drinking and drugs.
I've been gaming since '92, personal favorites are:
Mass Effect Trilogy
Halo Combat Evolved
Gears of War
Borderlands
Diablo III
Uncharted
Batman Arkham... (series)
The Sonic games on the Genesis
Rocket Knight Adventures
Xenosaga
Final Fantasy (with IX being my favorite)
Skyrim

I could go on

dannyboy65

Games are the best way to escape without resorting to heavy drinking and drugs.
I've been gaming since '92, personal favorites are:
Mass Effect Trilogy
Halo Combat Evolved
Gears of War
Borderlands
Diablo III
Uncharted
Batman Arkham... (series)
The Sonic games on the Genesis
Rocket Knight Adventures
Xenosaga
Final Fantasy (with IX being my favorite)
Skyrim

I could go on

I could go on too haha, by the way the picture of Light is awesome I love Death note.

Metal_isthe_Answer

I could go on too haha, by the way the picture of Light is awesome I love Death note.

A friend got me hooked on it. First couple episodes I was kind of "ok, this is all right" after a few more I was watching like 4 or 5 at a time going "holy **** this is awesome!!" Got a little weepy at the end too, not ashamed.