Martial Arts has helped my Anxiety TREMENDOUSLY

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I liked tai chi's applications as a martial art AND the philosophy and redirecting energy. Both spiritual and physical mind/body as one.

I know a lot depends on your personal nature/style. I am not an offensive aggressive style.

AGR

Yes I took boxing,it does helps a lot,so I would recomend for everyone,it gets you out there to do something around people,well for me I would choose either:
boxing: best art for punching
Muay Thai or second option kickboxing:best for stand up because it covers everything and keeps its movements simple and hard
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:good for submissions
Wrestling:Good to control your opponent
MMA:complete art

Well its in my opinion,I wouldnt choose anything without full contact sparring or with only demostration against willing opponets,it doesnt really emulate any situation with a resisting opponent,also be ready to be punched hard,it is not easy.

AGR

I probably should stay quiet,but I hate seeing people getting scammed,beware of mcdojos for anyone looking to train,usually if something is to good to be true,it really is,another hint is that you dont really learn fighting without getting hurt or without really fighting.
McDojo FAQ

i've done ''Tai Jitsu'' for about a year :), but i didn't have sa back then.

Martial Arts looks like a lot of fun :D nice thread! loved the vid! :D

inconspicuous name

Boxers argue that kickboxers don't throw very good punches, though some of the kickboxing/Muay Thai camp argue otherwise. MT looks good for the clinching aspect too.

boxers tend to be completely ignorant to anything that isn't boxing ::p: but believe me you put a kickboxer in a ring against a boxer and get them to fight the kickboxer will come out on top every time.

Yes I took boxing,it does helps a lot,so I would recomend for everyone,it gets you out there to do something around people,well for me I would choose either:
boxing: best art for punching
Muay Thai or second option kickboxing:best for stand up because it covers everything and keeps its movements simple and hard
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:good for submissions
Wrestling:Good to control your opponent
MMA:complete art

this pretty much, though BJJ isn't going to give you much use in real life (at least until you became extremely good). MMA would always be the best option if you want to get actual fight experience, which is of course the only way to actually get good at fighting.

Danfalc

Banned
this pretty much, though BJJ isn't going to give you much use in real life (at least until you became extremely good). MMA would always be the best option if you want to get actual fight experience, which is of course the only way to actually get good at fighting.

I don't know, BJJ can teach you an awful lot of things even at low level. Like how to get out of certain holds and positions. Though I do agree that it does have a higher learning curve.

I agree about mma though, it's crazy how many different disciplines a fighter has to be trained In to be competitive. The sport has really come a long way from just cage fighting.

inconspicuous name

I don't know, BJJ can teach you an awful lot of things even at low level. Like how to get out of certain holds and positions. Though I do agree that it does have a higher learning curve.

BJJ at a low level would be helpful only in fighting other people who are using BJJ (or any other grapling/hold based martial art) in a real life fight it would be useless until you are actually pretty well trained in it as the guy is just going to punch you repeatidly in the face while you try and grab him, it also doesn't take into account that outside of competitive fights if you try to put someone if most of the locks they'll headbutt you/bite you/rip your eyes out to get out of them.

i was fighting in the english championships for tae kwon do once and was watching some of the younger age groups fight, kids a only 2-3 years older than this were kicking the crap out of each other.....wasn't anywhere near as cute as this

Danfalc

Banned
as the guy is just going to punch you repeatidly in the face while you try and grab him, it also doesn't take into account that outside of competitive fights if you try to put someone if most of the locks they'll headbutt you/bite you/rip your eyes out to get out of them.

So your saying it's completely useless unless your a black belt or In mma? lol I will disagree with you there. I was not suggesting people go out and start trying to submit people. But you do realize there is more to bjj than the flashy submissions right..? Most real life fights I have been in started off on the feet but after a while most of them ended up the the floor. So I personally think any knowledge however limited of how to fight on the ground is useful even more so In real fights when having to defend yourself.

Again yeah, I would not advise trying to arm bar people or whatever. But still having any knowledge of how joints operate can help, I'm a small guy so most guys I have fought have been bigger and heavier than me, small joint manipulation has saved my ass a few times.

inconspicuous name

So your saying it's completely useless unless your a black belt or In mma? lol I will disagree with you there. I was not suggesting people go out and start trying to submit people. But you do realize there is more to bjj than the flashy submissions right..? Most real life fights I have been in started off on the feet but after a while most of them ended up the the floor. So I personally think any knowledge however limited of how to fight on the ground is useful even more so In real fights when having to defend yourself.

Again yeah, I would not advise trying to arm bar people or whatever. But still having any knowledge of how joints operate can help, I'm a small guy so most guys I have fought have been bigger and heavier than me, small joint manipulation has saved my ass a few times.

not saying you need to be a black belt, just that until you are able to pull the moves off quickly (as in quicker than the guy can punch you) then you're not going to have any luck using it.

i myself have been taught some basic BJJ in a few MMA classes and the stuff was pretty good, has some good concepts that were brilliant for MMA but would be practically useless in real life.

you said yourself, the fights start on the feet so unless you can take the guy out while you're on your feet there's no point even considering the next stage of the fight. plus if the guy knows what he's doing if the fight goes to ground he's either going to get on top of you and pound your face into the floor or just get back up again.

that said, if you're good at BJJ you can completely destroy someone who has no experience in ground fighting/grapling.

AGR

Well I obviously never trained in it,but I like judo and bjj for self defence,of course there is the variant of how someone will deal with punches,but I imagine that no grapling experience + wearing clothes = easy takedown,and you dont want them on top of you with no rules stopping them......
YouTube - Grappling vs. Wushu

Danfalc

Banned
you said yourself, the fights start on the feet so unless you can take the guy out while you're on your feet there's no point even considering the next stage of the fight. plus if the guy knows what he's doing if the fight goes to ground he's either going to get on top of you and pound your face into the floor or just get back up again.

What?? No.. just no. What I was getting at was while most start on the feet, most turn into a scramble on the floor. So I think that's why it's wise to have knowledge of how to fight off your back, wrist control ect Not considering an aspect of something is called ignoring it and I don't consider hoping something wont happen a good plan, and a guy getting on top of you and just pounding your face in is just another reason why I think learning to fight off your back is wise and why bjj is useful.

inconspicuous name

What?? No.. just no. What I was getting at was while most start on the feet, most turn into a scramble on the floor. So I think that's why it's wise to have knowledge of how to fight off your back, wrist control ect Not considering an aspect of something is called ignoring it and I don't consider hoping something wont happen a good plan, and a guy getting on top of you and just pounding your face in is just another reason why I think learning to fight off your back is wise and why bjj is useful.

uhhh......you really seem to have missed my entire point.

you said yourself, the fight starts on your feet so (and you are saying this yourself) that you should first learn to fight while on your feet.

if you're good on your feet, the fight will be over before it gets a chance to go to ground. you don't "hope" you won't end up on the floor, you just make sure you're better at stand up fighting than your opponent.

if you were fighting a guy with a knife you wouldn't learn how to fight when you've been stabbed, you learn about preventing the guy from stabbing you in the first place (an exaggeration but this is the point i'm trying to make that i have repeated a few times)

Feathers

you seem to be missing the boxing element of it, they use hands as well.

also kicking can be equally effective in an actual fight, most street brawlers will never have taken a proper kick before so it'll usually only take one to drop them.

haha no, I was just quoting what I heard: some people think boxing and kicking is not enough :)

I agree both kicking and boxing can be very useful in many cases... sometimes other things can be good too...

did a little research online (Google is your friend), apparently some of it has to do with one's personal size too, some styles were apparently historically developed by and for smaller people, some for bigger, etc.
A lot has to do with personal preference too...

There are some interesting discussions on Yahoo Answers too :) some people claim some martial arts are better than others, others say it's more about the individual and circumstances... sometimes even a newbie 'with luck' can surprise a stronger and more competent opponent.. (someone who said he's a master of a few martial arts said that, just repeating :))

I think it's better to stay away from fights if you can anway... as for relying to stay on the feet, one could wish so, situations in life can be a bit unpredictable, so I think it's good to know many different techniques, if possible..
I agree prevention is best, still, if prevention doesn't work as desired, it's good to have some clue as to what to do then, no?

AGR

just for argument's sake, here's another good fighting style

US Marine Corps Martial Arts Program:

YouTube - One Mind, Any Weapon: MCMAP

nice,the unarmed part looks pretty much like what mma fighters train:D,I know that US military at least some parts, cross trained in styles since at least the times of jack dempsey,I think that russian military is sambo,brazilian military and some police train in bjj aswell,I doubt they will ever need to use in war,but its nice to see they doing really practical stuff among all the myths and scams in martial arts.

I prefer to dislocate. A dislocation hurts like Hell even if the defender is skinny sissy like me, there's no need of physical strength when you crush a wrist like a dry branch.

inconspicuous name

I prefer to dislocate. A dislocation hurts like Hell even if the defender is skinny sissy like me, there's no need of physical strength when you crush a wrist like a dry branch.

actually aside from fingers it's pretty hard to disolate part of someones body if the person is fighting back (you're more likely to accidentally break the bone while trying to dislocate it in most cases)

most people who want to start martial arts training tend to be people that have watched a lot of cheesey martial art movies that show the guy fighting off 10 people at once, catching their punches and breaking their arms will a single punch.

in real life if you try to fight 10 guys, you will lose.

if you try to catch a punch you will get a fist in the face (and a couple of broken fingers for your troubles)

if you try to snap someones arm then......ok so that ones actually pretty easy but you get my point ::p:

Danfalc

Banned
uhhh......you really seem to have missed my entire point.

Uhhhh no. I got your point I just don't agree with it, though your point was rather vague and all what if's rather than any facts..you should know there is no sure thing In a fight. No matter how good you are at striking, there is always a chance you will end up fighting off your back. Again my point..which you seem to miss,ignore or just stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you didn't hear, it's better to have some knowledge than none.

Reply if you want but I'm done trying to have a discussion with you.