Martial Arts has helped my Anxiety TREMENDOUSLY

black-wings

this was my first 7 minutes match with my friend Jason and he's a black belt. i started one year ago and my anxiety isn't NEARLY as bad as it use to be. i'm more confident and i feel invincible when im in the ring. I'm the guy in the red sparring shoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0CNddhu6Js

Last edited:

Waybuloo

Hey cool! I have always been athletic, and went through a lot of yoga classes. But I suppose you need to master something really great, like martial arts, that gives a sense of power, to reduce the anxiety. Keep up the good work.

Danfalc

Banned
Cool stuff! You have some mean kicks on you, that round house was like something Badr Hari would do :D

Inspiration stuff.

Confuseddd

Awesome!
MMA is an amazing confidence booster, not to mention the brotherhood you create with all your classmates! What martial arts do you train in? The video looks like karate but I could be wrong. I do brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai, and it greatly reduces anxiety. Working out at the gym has a similar effect with me, but when your rolling with your class mates and you get a good submission, it feels absolutely amazing.
Keep it up!

JamesSmith

That must have been a great workout. Some people don't realize how exhausting sparring is. I used to do Tae Kwon Do, so I have a little idea of what it's like. That was a long time ago, though. Tae Kwon Do helps out your hand-eye coordination and helps you defend yourself.

inconspicuous name

I am only more afraid now that I have studied martial arts that I may actually have to use it.

if you get into a situation where you HAVE to use it then there's no worry, it's what it's there for (say if you got attacked)

if you're worried about getting angry and using it accidentally then there's no need to worry, speaking as a black belt myself i can tell you that unless you're in complete control of yourself you'll forget everything you learned on the spot :p

my parents made me start tae kwon do when i was like....8 because i had serious aggression problems and it was a nice outlet for me, moved on to rugby in later years and then weight training. i plan on going into MMA (cage fighting) in the not so distant future.

martial arts, with a good teacher can be hugely beneficial to everyone for numerous reasons and i'd highly reccomend it to anyone.

Luke1993

When I was much younger I went to Judo classes but I ended up getting tossed around and tore my kneecap off. It was a shame because although I only had a few sessions I did enjoy it. I've been wanting to try Judoor some other martial art again but I've been scared it'll happen again. But I have managed to build up the tendons in my knee so it's stronger now. Still don't think I'm ready yet though as I'm still quite weak. But someday!

I can't seem to get youtube working right now, but I hope you won :D

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I tried Tai Chi (is a martial arts) but they didn't teach the martial aspects. I like it for what it is now but want to learn a martial arts just can't decide which.

inconspicuous name

I tried Tai Chi (is a martial arts) but they didn't teach the martial aspects. I like it for what it is now but want to learn a martial arts just can't decide which.

if you tell me what you're aiming to get from the martial art i can probably reccomend one to you. for exmaple...if you're looking to get fit/get tougher/compete in sparring and enter compitions ect

Feathers

Tai Chi is mostly for relaxation, like yoga.. my sis did it and she liked it...

I like it too, but didn't like the teacher at the time (didn't seem so graceful), it seems to me like a mix of yoga and dance... if you do it right it's so beautiful...!

for fighting, some like kungfu or some schools of karate (some don't fight, just do katanas), or some other martial arts.. it really depends what you're looking for.. it's good to talk to someone who goes to a certain group that you want to talk to and to maybe participate in a few classes...

I only did martial arts for a brief time (and wasn't muchly good at it) it really helped me A LOT anyway!! So I recommend it to everyone too!!
(And I found out I can hurt people more easily, even if I don't want to lol! We are more powerful than we may think, often!)

Ideally go with a friend/someone you know, or at least find someone local there, so you can practise in free time too.. (goes much easier than if you only practise there) or find videos you can work out with... (if you can find some in your language, that's best)

I wish I could go to martial arts again :) or some wild mix of dancing and martial arts, nothing like that here in the middle of nowhere... (just karate, and many people complain about knee problems from karate.. so I'd prefer other stuff)

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Yeah Tai Chi isnt used for martial arts by most although it is one... but basis for many other forms.

I'd like it to get fit/find balance/"tougher" I guess, more be able confidentially defend self or another. NOT for competition. No weapons. (not now anyways).

inconspicuous name

Yeah Tai Chi isnt used for martial arts by most although it is one... but basis for many other forms.

I'd like it to get fit/find balance/"tougher" I guess, more be able confidentially defend self or another. NOT for competition. No weapons. (not now anyways).

well i'd reccomend you did kickboxing then, you'd probably have to spar against other people in your club but competitons are generally optional.

most martial arts will get you fit, and you'll most certainly get tougher with kickboxing (muay thai kickboxing in particular if you wish to learn to really take a beating)

general defence......... tae kwon do/karate/kung fu would all be ok, you don't use weapons in tae kwon do but certain karate schools will teach you to use them, very occasionally with kung fu as well i believe

Feathers

Ex Lemur - Yeah, they all will probably make you fit and 'tougher' :)

Do you mean balance like in a spiritual way or in a physical way?
And would you like to learn realistic self-defense useful in everyday situations?

I admire kickboxing, there *is* a lot of kicking involved: which can sometimes be useful, or not (in real situations). Never tried it tho. I think a targeted self-defense course could be better for learning basics of self-defense if needed. Kung fu might teach you more 'freestyle' and 'hands on' bravery/stuff from up close too - though it can be a bit complicated :) (We were told that people who only know how to kick and/or box can 'get lost' in other situations...) It depends on the school and the teachers too... Also, do you like kicking & boxing? :)
There are also some newer martial arts schools or 'mixes' of things.. might wanna check the library if they have any martial arts magazines, or check online, talk to some people on martial arts forums etc.

What about aikido? Some people talk good things about it, as to finding 'spiritual balance', I don't know how good it is in actual self-defense though?

Anyway, it's good to check what is available locally and see what would fit your schedule. It's really important to go to practice regularly, so the best course can do no good if you can't make it to the course.. Consider also factors like price, availability & price of any gear, special courses (some schools go on mini-holidays together :)) and maybe private lessons or lessons in mini-groups if needed/wanted...

inconspicuous name

I admire kickboxing, there *is* a lot of kicking involved: which can sometimes be useful, or not (in real situations).

you seem to be missing the boxing element of it, they use hands as well.

also kicking can be equally effective in an actual fight, most street brawlers will never have taken a proper kick before so it'll usually only take one to drop them.