Major Pacific Tsunami warning!

Remus

Staff member
The tsunami warning was extended to the Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan, the Pacific coast of Russia and Hawaii.

BBC News - Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

For members who are night owls in these regions or if you know people that live there, wake/phone your houshold/freinds/relatives etc. To be safe get inland and uphill and listen to news for updates.

For those members who live in Japan, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Remus

Staff member
The latest warning:

Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan.

EscapeArtist

Yes... Hearts with those in Japan and the warning countries! The fatality rate is amazingly low, thank goodness for that. We can all learn and benefit from the proven success rate of Japan buildings' structural safety.... Especially in comparison to Haiti .
Let us hope for safety
In BC here we're on watch but I doubt anything will occur, as they say there is an increased chance for the south rather than northern west coast of NA. It could be nothing in the end for here. Although if anything does occur, I'm only a few miles from the coast. BC has been expecting a grand scale quake in the next 50-100 years, but more likely in the next 50, for quite a while now. There was a period of a few days a few years ago when the chance apparently dramatically increased. So now the plate action of the Pacific is disturbing to me although it may be my natural-disaster-paranoia kicking in... Does anybody know which plates were involved in this quake?

Wow, there's even a warning on Google!

I hope you are all safe....

Edit: Okay so I just heard that the threat on the west coast is very little, a few inches predicted.

Last edited:
Just caught some footage of it one the news. My God, that's horrible. Unimaginably horrible. Those poor, poor people.

coyote

I hope everyone is ok

I had no idea until just now that any of this was going on

I really need to get a TV

Rose_Red

Poor Japan :(
My heart and thoughts goes out to them in their time of need.

Apparently we had our tsunami warning this morning, but luckily isn't wasn't big enough to do anything.

I hope so badly no-one else gets hit!
Everyone in the Pacific stay safe, and keep well alert.
It's tragic Japan gets this disaster, and not long after we get our quake ):

AGR

I wonder if Adrox is OK, He was last online at the time the quake struck

Thanks,it was kind of far from here,I only got a small one,but it was strange unlike others earthquke I have felt,dont know how to explain,but it was really awful,was watching the news,the waves were destroying everything in its path

Remus

Staff member
Ahh good to hear you are alright. Be good to hear from any other members from Japan when they get online again.

Feathers

Good to hear you're allright, Adrox!

And hope that any other members from Japan are okay too!

Had to go watch tv yesterday after reading this... And it was on at the time... Thank you for posting about it! I love Japan... Hope things get better and people get safe soon...

I wonder how much of these earthquakes and tsunamis are connected with deep sea drilling for oil and such...

hoddesdon

The moon creates tides, but it has nothing to do with earthquakes and tsunamis created by earthquakes.