Lying About Your Life

SplosionDude

I do nothing interesting over the weekends/holidays at all. Whilst other people go cinema or house parties or whatever, I don't have many friends i can meet up with so I usually just do hw, watch films/tv, play video games, etc.. Whenever i'm asked about it, though, i always feel under pressure to make up stuff so people don't see how lame i am. The problem is that it makes me feel like a complete fraud/liar and depressed.

Can anybody else relate to this?

HH

yep, I can relate to this. Most weekends I'm working/studying or maybe go to the gym-hardly amazing stuff and then the dreaded monday morning question arrives..... "what did you do at the weekend?" I hardly ever ask that question to other people because I know they'll then ask me. I try not to make stuff up to sound more interesting, I just say..."not much" or "the usual". As for holidays, I had my first proper holiday a few months ago-first one in years.

SpLynx

I can relate. I try to say something neutral, I dont like to lie. But yeah, I feel very lame...

Yeah, sometimes my lies become so large that I can't believe what comes out of my mouth. It's automatic. I start with something basic if asked about my life, and whoever is asking might begin to pry, and before you know it... I said I went where? With who? It's a terrible feeling.

da_illest101

My friends at works knows that i do pretty much nothing, My main friends knows exactly what I do, it's not like they had the most interesting life either but i lie to the others that I don't really know though.

Yep, I lie too or say something vaguely... I noticed even more outgoing and interesting people say that they did soooo much on weekends, but from other people I know that they did almost nothing or they don't want to tell what they did... I seen somewhere statistics how much people lie and I was a bit in shock, everybody lies everyday... Sure it was about these small lies, about diet and stuff like that.

I can definitely relate. I never have anything going on besides schoolwork. I hate the dreaded "What did you do this weekend?" question.

dooby-duck

I know what you mean. I don't lie about it but make out that I usually do more. Like saying something like I didn't really do a lot this weekend just....

Honda

I lie and hide alot of things from my past... People are just merciless and judge and assume alot... Which forces you to lie... Doesnt mean that there arent cool open minded people but its a sort of security from non-close friends and strangers..
All people do it, everybody hides their defects...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It depends. If I trust someone fully, If I feel safe and comfortable with that person, if that person is understanding enough and I know for sure they won't judge or think different of me, I don't lie and try to hide as less as possible (And I don't mind if if they know about my life)... Now, with strangers, people I don't trust enough, or people who I know would not understand, I tend to hide most of my troubles and the more personal stuff.

Now, about my activity (or lack of it), I don't mind being truthful about it. I see no point in lying to make my life look more "interesting". I don't want people liking me for what I'm not. Also, I am a person, not a movie, a book or a game. I am not here to entertain anyone... so what right do others have to tell if my my life is "fun/interesting" or "boring"? Who says I must be a certain way or have a certain routine in order to be likeable?. I think it's a bit rude and ignorant to label someone as "boring/fun/good/bad/sane/insane/etc." based on something so superficial. Seriously... I'd rather be alone than being with people with such mentality.

Honda

I have difficulty trusting people cuz of the past.... I had this friend i desperately trusted alot and was real close to.. I told him everything about myself and the end result, he used it for his advantage.. I shouldve made him **** off a long time ago but my stupidity, weakness and desperation made me stick to him cuz he was the only close 'friend' i had...

AGR

A mans worth is unfortunetly meassured by how much of an asshole he is or how many girls he sleeps with,so yes I do lie sometimes,when I was honest I would only get shit,I dont know why they care about this stuff so much....

Weirdo

I just say "I was on the computer all day" and people just laugh and/or say I should go out more or whatever. No point in making stuff up.
Anyway the last time someone asked me that was...err..dunno 2 years ago? and it was my friends who asked. I don't really have much experience with strangers asking that. I mean why would they want to know?

Satine

I can relate to having done it, and since I've helped out on The Narrow Road I've noticed that fairly often, male members will lie about their lives in general. Trouble is, they get into a habit of lying more and more, generally saying that their lives are fun and that they're successful and happy... and then at some point it catches up with them and they have to tell the truth.

Often when this happens they'll then say they despised themselves through most of the period of lying because they knew they were deceiving people. So it's not a good groove to get into. I figured a while ago the best thing to do was just to do some stuff like go to films or whatever during the holidays with a view to not having to lie/admit to having done nothing when the time comes to talk to new colleagues/schoolmates. It seems the best way: push yourself into going out.

Often turns out not to be as bad as you'd thought, once you've done it. Which is a bonus.

Honda

I lie alot, especially about hiding embarrassing or bad moments... Today i bought a set of rims from a guy for my car and went to install them.. They guy warned me to check if they fit first but i was too excited.. So i bought them and found out they dont fit and the tires are old, stupid of me... Ended up selling them and losing 20% off their value... Reached home where i live with my family and they asked me did u get them? I was like yeah but they didnt fit and i managed to sell them for the same price i bought them for.. It wasnt a huge loss but i find it difficult admitting my mistakes especially when i know im doing something wrong and still not hesitating to take the risk, i couldve checked the rims with the seller before buying...