Living life regardless of risks?

lilmutegirl

I think I have figured out what I want to do with my life. I'd like to be a philanthropist. Specifically, I'd like to start a non-profit organization (or maybe a few). I like the idea of being my own boss and helping other people. The problem is that I have no self-confidence. I don't feel like I would be good at anything. That is one factor that has prevented me from aggressively pursuing another job, even.
I wish that I had the guts to just go for something full throttle, risks be damned, but I always falter, and that trips me up.
Has anyone on here actually thrown caution to the wind and ended up with a good result?

Iluv

I throw in caution to the wind all the time and wind up with a serious of different results. You can't predict what is going to happen. You can give yourself an idea though. The thing I sort of live by, is that if I sit back my whole life and don't put a step forward I am not getting anywhere. Sometimes risks are a good thing. It's all up to you of course. I say, GO FOR IT!

MikeyC

Depends on the risk, I suppose. I can't think of any examples of me at the moment but I'm sure there's one somewhere.

I think you should do a bit of research and, if you have the cash, start the business! You don't know if you don't try.

The Observer

Yeah, I decided I didn't wanna suffer with SA anymore and took my own steps to overcome it. The results are well worth it, as are some of the rewards :)

lilmutegirl

Depends on the risk, I suppose. I can't think of any examples of me at the moment but I'm sure there's one somewhere.

I think you should do a bit of research and, if you have the cash, start the business! You don't know if you don't try.

See...that's part of the problem...I don't have the money. And, I have a child to support on my own, so if I risked everything, and failed, I'd fail big time. I'm considering delaying this until I'm more financially capable, but I fear that will be a long time from now. I guess I feel like I have a lot to lose by taking risks, which is somewhat good (I'm glad that I have something of value--my son--that I want to make sure is taken care of) but, unfortunately, that holds me back some too. If I didn't have him, I'm sure I'd have some other excuse, though. I would be more able to make money if I didn't have to worry about childcare, so money would not be an issue.

twiggle

If we don't take risks things will always stay the same. The more times you attempt something, the more likely you are to achieve it. The more times you are likely to fail, too... but because you're taking more chances, the failures won't hurt as much.

WeirdyMcGee

If we don't take risks things will always stay the same. The more times you attempt something, the more likely you are to achieve it. The more times you are likely to fail, too... but because you're taking more chances, the failures won't hurt as much.

^ yes. This is what my therapist is always telling me and I'm grinning awkwardly in the corner thinking; '...sounds too risky...' haha

If you feel this is something you WANT to do but your confidence won't allow you to feel good about it, though-- seems like you need more confidence. More energy!
Your dream is a great one, lilmutegirl!
I think it's definitely worth pursuing.

Boby

Funny i just decided that i'm going to enrolled on an almost impossible project with huge risks...i hope i will succeed.
And i agree with the rest, we need to take risks if we want to accomplish something ,the only thing to remember is : learn from you fails but don't feel sorry.

Feathers

honey, you need a support system and people who would be happy to help! (or at least willing to!)
With daycare and non-profit and other things!

They are called 'volunteers'! :) And there is info on how to get them and work with them online...

Also look up Barbara Sher and her books - I really LOVED Wishcraft! (and it's for free online, though if you can get it in RL, maybe in a 2nd hand shop or on eBay, it's probably better than printing it!)
/which is what I ended up doing lol/
She tells you how to start anything - for free at first! Just 'dip your toe' into things at first! (It doesn't have to be 'all or nothing'!!) Go as slow or as quick as you feel comfortable going! (If it scares you, can you do something on a smaller scale, but still in the same direction? eg go to a class/workshop about how to run non-profits or get volunteers/funding or meet up or read about someone who works in a non-profit or started one etc)

There are books, articles, websites and courses on how to run non-profits, see if there's anything locally? (eg check libraries or non-profits that help other nonprofits etc) Have you helped out or volunteered in existing non-profits? You can learn A LOT this way!

Maybe an existing non-profit would be happy to do (some of) the work too? Or it could be shared across several non-profits, some existing and some new ones?
Some bigger non-profits can be VERY HAPPY to get new ideas for good projects!!
(If you wish to get paid for this though, some caution may be needed - to see what YOU would like to do and get paid for, and what you can 'give' to others for free - some welcome new ideas and would be happy of volunteers and might not have funds to pay new people... )
Some non-profits hire new people too... It can be easier than doing something 'new'... Again, depends how compatible your ideas are with existing organisations and their way of working...

People with jobs in the non-profit sector could maybe tell us more too? :)

PS Twiggle I'd LOVE to hear more about your job/s and how you got'em! (Maybe as PM if you don't feel comfortable talking about it online? :))

OceanMist

I was absoulutely terrified of meeting up with women in person when I first started online dating. It was the scariest time of my life on the first few meetings.

I definitely threw caution at the wind. I wound up with positive results, too. All of these dates stayed with me for at least an hour and the conversations went well most of the time.

MikeyC

See...that's part of the problem...I don't have the money. And, I have a child to support on my own, so if I risked everything, and failed, I'd fail big time. I'm considering delaying this until I'm more financially capable, but I fear that will be a long time from now. I guess I feel like I have a lot to lose by taking risks, which is somewhat good (I'm glad that I have something of value--my son--that I want to make sure is taken care of) but, unfortunately, that holds me back some too. If I didn't have him, I'm sure I'd have some other excuse, though. I would be more able to make money if I didn't have to worry about childcare, so money would not be an issue.
Having a young son to take care of would be a hindrance to your risk-taking, for sure. Hopefully it all happens for you soon.

Waybuloo

I sometimes have a strong urge to be a humanitarian but a part of me hates people (for what they've done to me since I was a child, for what is really inside their hearts, for the selfishness that is inherent before anything else). I just think, what is the point.

I have done things like gone for hard interviews but it didn't work out. Everytime I take risks I always get disappointed and my SA and issues take a back step.

Robin Yiu

I think I have figured out what I want to do with my life. I'd like to be a philanthropist. Specifically, I'd like to start a non-profit organization (or maybe a few). I like the idea of being my own boss and helping other people. The problem is that I have no self-confidence. I don't feel like I would be good at anything. That is one factor that has prevented me from aggressively pursuing another job, even.
I wish that I had the guts to just go for something full throttle, risks be damned, but I always falter, and that trips me up.
Has anyone on here actually thrown caution to the wind and ended up with a good result?

Being a philanthropist doesn't always involve money. The greatest poverty in this world is love. Many people feel unloved and thats more unbearable than an empty stomach. Sharing yourself with someone is a staying gift that spreads. Just a smile for a stranger goes further than bread for the poor.