Link with sugar and depression

Froggy246

Has anyone noticed that sugar can seriously affect their mood? For example noticed that you start feeling depressed after a large amount of sugary stuff?
I cut down my sugar drastically for a week, but for weight loss purposes, and I became more motivated and positive about life, then the other night I was in an all you can eat buffet and couldn't resist the deserts, went a bit crazy on them, then the next day I got really down, crying and stuff and couldn't shake the heavy feelings, now I'm wondering if my desertfest played a part. Might do further experimentation on it and see.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Yeah, I noticed I was feeling a lot better trying to cut out sugar, eating bananas. Trying to get regular exercise a few months ago.

But lately I've been feeling a lot of stress and put a ton of weight back on. Also tend to be tempted to eat. You seem to have over-endulged with desert. Though, I'm the same with chocolates, cakes or biscuits.

Last edited:

Froggy246

Haven't you heard about this before? Ever had kale, butternut squash or spinach?

No I've always tried to ditch the sugar to try and lose weight but never considered the impact on mental health as well. I've had those things before yes, are you saying they are good for mental wellbeing? Those things in particular?

Froggy246

Yeah, I noticed I was feeling a lot better trying to cut out sugar, eating bananas. Trying to get regular exercise a few months ago.

But lately I've been feeling a lot of stress and put a ton of weight back on. Also tend to be tempted to eat. You seem to have over-endulged with desert. Though, I'm the same with chocolates, cakes or biscuits.

Once I start I can't stop, the will power disintegrates and I lose control, I can eat the majority of a jar of Nutella in one sitting. I'm going to come off it and see if it improves my mood, bananas sound like a good idea for a natural sweet fix and energy, I also like Nakd bars.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Once I start I can't stop, the will power disintegrates and I lose control, I can eat the majority of a jar of Nutella in one sitting. I'm going to come off it and see if it improves my mood, bananas sound like a good idea for a natural sweet fix and energy, I also like Nakd bars.

Sounds like a plan. Also, bananas will help with depression, I noticed I felt a difference in my mood eating more fruit regularly. Sugary and salty snack tend to have the opposite effect... So, y'known, best trying keep those foods to minimum or cutting them out altogether, if you can.

arjuna

"The UltraMind Solution" talks about this. I definitely can tell a difference when eating those foods I mentioned above and I think the majority of people will also say the same. This doesn't mean that I sometimes don't eat chocolate, I do every now and then, but I don't have any sugar in other foods. I always read the ingredients to make sure they don't contain either sugar or hydrogenated fats.

According to this website Americans consume around 160 lbs of sugar a year.

Not So Sweet – The Average American Consumes 150-170 Pounds of Sugar Each Year @ Bamboo Core Fitness

Plus, I have quite a nice figure due to my eating habits which also elevates my mood.

SoScared

In recent times I've stopped eating cakes, biscuits & chocolate. On the rare occasions that I do eat them I get very hyper in a non too pleasant way.

HexNoir

I was recently diagnosed with depression, and although I don't consume as much sugar as most people I know, I feel the negative effects through things like nicotine, caffeine, alcohol and whatnot.

As much as I try to avoid gluten, I still get cravings in that area. I guess I just mentioned a shitload of sugar, so yeah. I see the connection.

EscapeArtist

Ahh you know the ultra(insert which book here)guy. I love Mark Hyman and I would suggest anybody wanting to know about food/body/pychology connecting read any of his books. He is the most on-point when it comes to food science. Also to the op, sugar can feed bad bacteria in your intestinal tract that actually send signals to your brain to release opiods and neurotransmitters, so that you get a temporary high and then a low. Here's an interesting study about fungus/bacteria that are fed by too much sugar living in abundance tied to mental health through nutrient absorption.

Could yeast infections impair recovery from mental illness? A case study using micronutrients and olive leaf extract for the treatment of ADHD and ... - PubMed - NCBI

I'm pretty sure there are a lot more direct ties to mental health though, even despite nutrient absorption. But i don't remember.. should re-read about it

"The UltraMind Solution" talks about this. I definitely can tell a difference when eating those foods I mentioned above and I think the majority of people will also say the same. This doesn't mean that I sometimes don't eat chocolate, I do every now and then, but I don't have any sugar in other foods. I always read the ingredients to make sure they don't contain either sugar or hydrogenated fats.

Requiescat

Therec are numerous types of sugar. From monsaccharides (simple sugars) to disaccharides (compound sugars). Glucose, a simple sugar, is the primary source of energy in the body and more specifically contributes the bulk of energy to the brain. So a deficiency in glucose levels will have a negative affect of a person mentally as well as emotionally. Excess intake of sugars however result in a plethora of problems ranging from diabetes to heart disease and, as discussed here, fatigue. So balancing bloos sugar levels is important. When you ingest a large amount of sugar your pancreas releases insulin so that sugar can enter your cells which results in a state of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level), and from here your body releases hormones to rebalance your blood sugar levels. This is actually quite a drastic process.

Interesing point there EscapeArtist. I would categorize these things into the groups fungus, parasites and general bacteria. Parasites are becoming more commonly understood in the West after so long being confined to the domain of third world countries, supposedly. But in actual fact it is the prototypical Western diet that serves to feed parasites the best. And why shouldn't the world's best known survivors find a way to conquer the West anyway? Parasites such as tapeworms and ascaris - there are numerous types of each - release a secretion which causes the host to crave processed foods and sugar. Think of the body as a biome, and parasites endeavour to terraform it's environment so it's more inhabitable. That means higher levels of acidity and lower levels of oxygen (note that co-enzyme Q10 is a potent killer of parasites). All forms of sugar are acidic.

Before I end my post I'd like to talk a little bit about the effect of high sugar level and brain function. Sustained levels of high blood sugar has been linked to memory and learning disorders as well as depression. With regards to memory, high sugar consumption depletes the production of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which is important in the formation of new memories and this influences learning. Lower levels of BDNF also leads to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. There are a lot of other health problems related to decreased BDNF worth further reading.

dannyboy65

It's true a healthier diet can also improve mental health as well as energy, etc... I've been eating healthy for 3 weeks now and started to eat lots of veggies and fruit. I drink mainly water. I also only eat lean meats, like fish or chicken. In the 3 weeks that I've been eating healthy I lost 3 pounds, but I didn't start exercise yet which I will eventually, I'm just taking baby steps.

But in those 3 weeks I've been feeling better physically. But the biggest part I noticed is I am healthier mentally too. I don't hear as many voices, or feel anxious and depressed. I still have those times where I do but that's natural for everyone. But for the most part I've been feeling great.