Letting People into Your Life

Not exactly sure why but this is a scary thing for me to allow.

Example:
You're getting to know someone and they have introduced their family to you without any problems aside from the initial awkwardness.
When comes the time you feel you like this person, are comfortable with them and want them to visit your family.

----

It's a tough time for me to do that.
Has to do with the idea of family members sharing secrets to outsiders? Perhaps.

ImNotMyIllness

Not exactly sure why but this is a scary thing for me to allow.

Example:
You're getting to know someone and they have introduced their family to you without any problems aside from the initial awkwardness.
When comes the time you feel you like this person, are comfortable with them and want them to visit your family.

----

It's a tough time for me to do that.
Has to do with the idea of family members sharing secrets to outsiders? Perhaps.

I'm far more concerned about meeting her family! But, I do remember an ex girlfriend from a while back. I never introduced her to my high school friends because I was afraid they would tell her that I never had a girlfriend (she would have asked!). I was really embarrassed about being inexperienced. So, I think I know where you're coming from......maybe they'll say something embarrassing?....I get that.

Last edited:

Kiwong

I thinking of pulling back from people. Just maintain the positive links. I actually get along best on my own.

Bustn Justin

It takes me a lont time to let someone into my life since i have opened up too quickly in the past and then become hurt.

Now I take my time to trust someone but can never fully let them in my life with complete trust.

Lamb

Lol, I'm kind of in that situation currently. It's a big problem.

They want to meet my family, but I'm avoiding it. I'm most concerned with the way the house looks (which is a rathole that's never getting spruced up). No one ever comes over..

Plus, I've never introduced my father to any of my friends of the opposite gender, which is pretty much the majority of friends! God only knows what I'd be setting myself up for.

Add on the family dysfunction, and I'm pretty much kept at bay with that idea. :eek:h:

CaptainArgh

skeleton-in-closet1.jpg

Dem Skeletons...

jaim38

They want to meet my family, but I'm avoiding it. I'm most concerned with the way the house looks (which is a rathole that's never getting spruced up). No one ever comes over..

Plus, I've never introduced my father to any of my friends of the opposite gender, which is pretty much the majority of friends! God only knows what I'd be setting myself up for.

If I had a bf, I would be so embarassed to introduce him to my family. My mom has mental problems. My dad has gaps on his 2 front teeth and his breath stinks. He has a deep distrust of dentists and avoided going for years.

Xervello

If I had a bf, I would be so embarassed to introduce him to my family.

I understand that. And can relate somewhat. But I think it all depends on how your relationship with your future boyfriend is. If he knows you through and through, and cares about you for you, I think it would take a lot of pressure off the embarrassment part. In a way, he might love/respect you more for living through such an unconventional family dynamic. Not that your parents are weird or bad people. But the embarrassment of not having that normal-looking/acting kind of mom and dad. Too often we watch tv families and think everyone but us has that. A lot of us don't.

Skog

After withdrawing for a few years, I met a couple of much younger people who seemed to value my friendship. I have found that for them telling personal feelings, and being told mine in return, is what they expect from "letting people into your life." I find that makes me feel very vulnerable and only do so hestitantly and not to the degree they confide in me.