Laziness??

Ericisme

Past 4 years of my life I have done nothin but watch TV, watch movies, play video games, and sit on the computer, I'm 18 now. Literally that though, I dropped out of high school then too, got not a single real life friend, only leave the house for counseling and junk like that. Now my mom got me in an online high school, I just seem to be too damn lazy to do it. I do try, but only got 2 out of 14 classes done for this week and last week. Both of which are the same and are easy.

Most of the other stuff I'm just honestly too stupid to do. Years of your brain working on video games can really fry your brain some. Like, this thing on values, I could have finished that for last week, but I was stuck on the part about 3 of my values, I had no damn clue. Then there is things I have to write about, I am epicly horrible at that. It's just too damn much in such a short time after all of this time doing nothing.

Anyone else seem to have this problem?

Great excuse to not do it though, huh? I'm too lazy. LMAO I didn't expect to finish it anyways, atleast I won't disappoint myself.

RedRibbons

I think I'm really indecisive. And that makes me lazy and unmotivated. Plus I don't have much passion for shit... so yea.. And I play video games too.. lol I wonder if it has anything to do with that.. :rolleyes:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I took some online classes a few ears ago and experienced some of the same things. I definitely signed-up for way too much after being in a vegetative state for so long. I ended up abandoning all the classes one by one, and repaying my grandfather for the money he put up for me to take them.

It didn't help matters that I've always been a procrastinating perfectionist, which made for some pretty insane moments when deadlines crept-up. I put off and put off and put off, and then had absolutely no time to do the kind of job that I could be satisfied with.

emofree

I do have some sort of a similar problem like yours but just for a short time like a year. Well I guess online classes isn't that bad after all. I've experience once but didn't quiet learned from it thou and it didn't last lol.

PennyLane

Sometimes I think im really lazy and unmotivated....but other times I can accomplish loads. Which makes me think that depression is mistaken for laziness...I end up getting the whats the point feeling or I can't be bothered and I reckon it might be more to do with feeling down than being lazy.

divethruhaze

i'm lazy too... but seriously, you now have another chance at academic education, try to get the best out of it.
To start to get things done, i did a timetable of how i should spend my time and another one on how i actually spent it... then I did another 1, a sort of compromise between the 2 so that i could have time to play and just do nothing and still have enough time to do most of my work.
maybe you should try it too

danstelter

Try to use the fact that you are not so good at these things as motivation to get to work and get your act together. Great work on seeing the counselor...that should help a ton! Obviously, you struggle a ton with motivation. Find what it is that motivates you. Ask your counselor to give you positive feedback when you take certain steps to complete certain tasks, and be sure to give yourself positive feedback as well!

You might be behind at 18, but believe me, you have more than enough time to catch up and even get ahead of the game.

I too, sometimes struggle with doing things that I don't want to do. When I find myself feeling that way, I just think to myself, "Well, let's just do it and get it over with. Then I can do the things that I want to." Take time also to do things that you really enjoy and that get you outside of yourself. Gaming is a good thing, but only in moderation, and as you noted, it has gotten a little bit out of control in your life.

To get outside of yourself, read books that are interesting, volunteer 1-2 hours per week doing an activity that you enjoy doing, join a group of some kind, or try to find a job that you enjoy. The point is to make it something enjoyable and that connects you with other people. Explore this with your counselor if you aren't sure how to do it on your own.

Good luck and be sure to ask questions or ask for help if you need it!

L Hilla

LOL... yeah, I think laziness plays a factor too. Even though I know schoolwork and stuff like that is more important, I feel too far gone in some other world to get it done, which is a habit I deff need to break at this point.

lol i think it depends on what type of video games you are playing. There are some that have a good amount of puzzles and mind-games built in...like Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc. Anyway, I haven't quite played video games for A WHILE but i think i know how you are feeling as far as the laziness goes. My best advice to you is to do what you love man...Maybe learn the programming to create video games? Or maybe write story lines (i'm sure you've gotten your fair share of ideas in the last few years lol).

Also, when i started working out it helped me build a lot of motivation and energy.