Laughing at inappropriate times

TheTemp

Does anyone else here suffer from laughing uncontrollably at inappropriate times/ at inappropriate things? I do it amidst serious conversations. It offends the person and I hate myself after it happens.

I'm on medication and it still hasn't stopped my urges. I used to have to leave class in the middle because someone's voice would trigger my laughing response. I would still laugh in the hallway because I'd find it hilarious.

I cannot control it. I try. I really do. The more I try to bottle it up the more it comes out. I don't know what to do. My sister stormed out of my room yesterday because I had a laugh attack in the middle of our semi-serious/awesome conversation. It was such an amazing conversation, but the urge came. Ugh.

What do I do? Anyone else on the same boat? Any advice? :kickingmyself:

neardeath

this is happening to me and it is a very recent change. I bite my lip. It feels so good to laugh if it comes at all so is hard to pass up. Very inappropriate, very embarrassing. Biting the lip works a little but it must still be obvious.

gustavofring

Well, laughter is the best medicine. But I can see how you could get weirded out reactions from people if you just start laughing at inappropriate things. I like laughing people, but it -can- get a little annoying I imagine, as if you feel like you're being taken for a fool.

What exactly triggers your laughing though? Is it a nervous thing? Or is it genuinely laughing at someone, a joke, the voice of a person, how they look or the fact that they take themselves and what they are saying so seriously?

I do sometimes have uncontrollable laughing attacks at things, like thinking of a funny situation I experienced or scene in a movie that I watched, and it can remain stuck in me for days and I think of it at random times. Doesn't happen often though. But hey, laughing releases endorphines, so I don't consider it a problem. Better to laugh then to be miserable and anxious.

Last edited:

TheTemp

Hahahah (sorry, the last part of your post made me laugh) well, it's a bunch of different things. Tonality, pitch, nervousness, I pick up on things and once I have it in my head, it just triggers that response. It's also when people take things so seriously, I'm just a silly person (cursed with SA therefore have socially awkward tendencies like cracking up) and if I find something so serious and people so nervous, it makes me laugh. Despite me being a semi-nervous person myself. I guess I find it so nice and comforting to have people be nervous other than me that it just comes out as laughter. That was a theory of mine. But it's definitely not mean spirited. That's why I hate myself afterwards, because I come off as so mean, it's so not meant to be that way. I'm just a goober. Misunderstood. :( The funny thing is, if I put myself in their shoes and someone laughed at me, I would get so offended and revisit the thoughts for days on end. I hate it. That's why I want to stop. But I have no self control. Biting my lip will only make me laugh harder. It's like air needs to go out. Maybe I should cough. I don't know.

laure15

Many years ago when I attended a funeral of a relative, I smiled a lot. Almost everyone else was crying and mourning, but I was the only one with a great big smile on my face. I also felt the urge to laugh, for some unknown reason. It was very inappropriate, I know, but I just can't help feeling this way. To this day, I still don't know why. I hope I don't smile at another funeral.

I also smile in other inappropriate situations. I used to sleep on the floor, and this guy found out and tried to convince me not to. He told me that his mother used to sleep on the floor and became sick as a result. I was smiling the entire time, so that must have frustrated him because he thought I didn't take him seriously. I had to FORCE myself to stop smiling, even though I still felt the urge to smile. Weird.

LazyHermitCrab

Yes I completely understand. I posted a thread about this awhile ago and someone posted a really funny video about this guy who was divorced, stabbed, etc and kept laughing :s

neardeath

I usually just laugh from random thoughts that pop up. It sure happens in some weird places, however.