know the truth?

Neil Young

Most SA people say/think they are very good at heart. But is the "goodness" not because we are too weak and afraid to be "bad"?

Remus

Staff member
yeah they do, we do tend to think we are "special" and somehow better people than "normal" people but I've found (with experience) that we are just as crap as everyone else (me included)

Anubis

Yea, a lot of us social phobes fall into "good kid" syndrome described here in detail (The Good Kid Syndrome ?(Find Your Truths)?)

The overall gist of the article is that children who are raised in negative households tend to protect their self-esteem by hiding behind a facade of extreme receptiveness to the needs and demands of caretakers and later friends/teachers/colleagues (in the hopes that they reduce their negativity and instead show approval). In essence, "Being Good" is just a coping mechanism to prevent disapproval and rejection.

This artificial attempt at piety comes at a sacrifice though. Ignoring one's own needs.

Last edited:

Rodox

we are a mix of both,no one can be entirely nice or bad,if you think you are nice you are only fooling yourself.

Yea, a lot of us social phobes fall into "good kid" syndrome described here in detail (The Good Kid Syndrome ?(Find Your Truths)?)

The overall gist of the article is that children who are raised in negative households tend to protect their self-esteem by hiding behind a facade of extreme receptiveness to the needs and demands of caretakers and later friends/teachers/colleagues (in the hopes that they reduce their negativity and instead show approval). In essence, "Being Good" is just a coping mechanism to prevent disapproval and rejection.

This artificial attempt at piety comes at a sacrifice though. Ignoring one's own needs.

wow, i can really relate to that article - great find - i think i'll print it out.

"The message that anger is bad is at the core of most of the issues that bring people into therapy today."

JCS008

I think most people who have the mentality that "everyone is evil and everyone else sucks and doesn't care about anyone else" is sometimes just as judgmental.

Sinar_Matahari

Most SA people say/think they are very good at heart. But is the "goodness" not because we are too weak and afraid to be "bad"?

That is an excellent question, my friend! I think it is important to question our motives and our "goodness" so as to not be led astray. I honestly think that many people on this forum are very caring and understanding, but I don't think it's natural to be all good. I have seen posts on here which have come across as a little mean-spirited.

Perhaps some of us are too afraid to be bad while others know how it is to be mistreated and so we do not wish to hurt others. If this is a weakness then should we mistreat others and be "bad" just to be strong? It's so much easier to be ignorant and callous than it is to take the time to think about how your actions and word affect people. This disorder of ours has it's pros.

I don't know anyone out there who would have wished that I hadn't apologized for being a bitch, hadn't been tolerant or understanding, hadn't given them a helping hand, hadn't offered them a kind word/smile or otherwise didn't deride them when others did. I think we wish to do good because we are ourselves tormented, but I don't think we are only good. We'd be fools if we think we are incapable of "bad".

Sinar_Matahari

Let's face it. The world in which we live has codes of conduct regardless if this conduct is natural to us. Most societies frown upon the expression of anger while some consider it an outright weakness. There is even an Alaskan Inuit tribe that severely looks down upon the expression of anger. They aboslutely will not deal with anyone who shows anger. In Germany, anger is a cause for amusement and will prompt further instigation. Expressing anger is also considered an anti-social behavior.

I have also found that it is rare to get people to help you out or cooperate if you express that you are angry with them. Tact is necessary when dealing with people. These stupid rules are conducive to social survival. Most of us are social creatures and we need social interaction in order to be happy.

NothingElseMatters

naah i can't say i am good at heart.i try to be polite and 'cool' most of the times but i can be a d*** too.Plus i have too much hate and jealous feelings for some people although i am trying to avoid them.

On the other hand some people with SA ARE really good and that's because life's difficulties can make a person more sensitive and understanding

Lea

Banned
naah i can't say i am good at heart.i try to be polite and 'cool' most of the times but i can be a d*** too.Plus i have too much hate and jealous feelings for some people although i am trying to avoid them.

On the other hand some people with SA ARE really good and that's because life's difficulties can make a person more sensitive and understanding

I would say you are allright... from your posts... just my opinion :).

I Truth Know You Truth Know

I never thought I was kind at heart. I'm evil. :D. Well, umm, not really but yeah. There are very few people who are actually like the genuinely nice sort of people, and I don't think that it is specific to social phobics per se. You have to truely believe in all of what you represent as 'good', instead of just lacking what it takes to actually do what you really want to. I don't really see how doing nothing at all makes you a 'good kid' anyways. It kind of makes you more like a 'nothing kid'.