Jam session on skype?

Maya23

I play the drums, but it is really hard for me to play around other people. I'm trying to think of ways to get over this. How have some of you gotten over your fears of playing in front of other people?
I've been playing drums for about 6 years now. Has anyone ever tried jamming over skype or something like it?

Just curious :)

Mokkat

cool, I definately love playing too. I play bass, and guitar sometimes, been at it for about 7 years now.
You should really join a band if you haven't been in one yet - one with a decent bassplayer, cause a good groove is everything ;). Its not hard to find one online, and you can always start out by doing "safe" and fun coversongs.
As much as I try to be lively, Im still anxious and kinda frozen when I play gigs. But as long as youre playing with a band upthere, its a great feeling :)

Jamming on Skype, I havent tried it. Sounds like its worth a try though :)

lunarla

Try and be confident with your skills! (I know that's really hard for SA people) I'm sure you're good since you've been playing for so long though. I've only been playing an instrument consistently for 2 years and I kinda suck, but I know the basics, I suppose. Not sure if I'd be completely up for a skype jam because for some reason juuuust jamming makes me kinda more nervous.

Luke1993

Interesting idea! Unfortunately though I can't play an instrument.There might be a bit of lag because of internet connection when you jam, but a cool idea nonetheless!

DeathMetal

I play guitar but I don't know if I will ever be able to play in front of strangers. Hell, even around my own family I tense up and make more mistakes than I usually do.

Masychefx2

Banned
i used to be able to play smoke on the water on guitar it was on the top string only

err funny thing is from primary school to secondary i think ,y guitar skill got worse

Maya23

Yeah, I think it seems like the easiest music to play with people is funk. Metal is fun but it's difficult to agree on songs to play I've found with my friends.
Well, I mean the times I have played with my friends which is extremely rare.
I don't know, maybe we could use the video in skype as a way to try to overcome being shy about playing in front of people. ha, like I wouldn't show my face or anything but maybe I could start to play a beat or something. Then someone else could play a short part of a song on the guitar or bass or anything else.
It would have to be exposure little by little. So maybe at first just a few notes. Maybe a few notes for a while would be all. But it interests me to try :)

Honestly, maybe just a few seconds of playing something and then that's it. It seems like it would make me nervous but I know I wouldn't judge anyone else on their playing skills!! Promise!!