Is it narcissistic to think this??

Social_Monstrosity

I think that if I were a very good looking person that my SAD would drastically be reduced and I'd have a much easier time holding a conversation...

Shift

Hm... I don't know. I'm fairly attractive. I mean, I modeled for a bit and and can't go out in public alone without some guy hitting on me (which actually is not as pleasant as it sounds) and I still really struggle with my SAD. Although, maybe that's just because I'm more self conscious about my personality than how I look.

Social_Monstrosity

Hm... I don't know. I'm fairly attractive. I mean, I modeled for a bit and and can't go out in public alone without some guy hitting on me (which actually is not as pleasant as it sounds) and I still really struggle with my SAD. Although, maybe that's just because I'm more self conscious about my personality than how I look.

See, I'm the opposite! I'm confident that my quirky personality would come off as endearing to most people. Sure a lot of people wouldn't care for it, but I think that if I were more attractive, my confidence would skyrocket and I'd be able to approach and talk to people a lot more...

JamesSmith

Good looks don't make someone with social anxiety disorder that much more confident. If anything, they make things worse. The better looking you are, the more people expect you to be successful in the two main aspects of life: socially and wealth. A lot of society has this assumption that good looks=friends, significant other and money. When Social Anxiety Disorder people that have looks don't live up to those expectations, they are blamed by many people for "wasting" what they have and "not living up to their potential." This is a case of the grass is greener on the other side.

It could be easier at first (if you were to alter you appearance right now), since you'd have a confidence boost.

But after a while I think that you would start to realize that you're still the same person on the inside. Confidence often comes from the inside out. As does much of the overall 'attractiveness' for that matter. And besides, you might very well be an attractive person right now without knowing it. You can take the ''Post your picture''-thread as proof of concept to this. There a lot of good looking people there, that claim that they're ugly.

If you were to have been (as what you see as) good looking from the beginning of your life, but been through the same events, the chances are very high that you'd still deem yourself ugly. You see what I'm getting at? ;3

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. The way we see ourselves is no different.

Why

i consider myself good looking but it probly makes my life even worse when i dont live up to the good looking person's expectations in this world- being a confident player etc.

im always scared that every1 expects me to be that type of person, when im opposite of that

Aussie_Lad

The the "if only" excuse. Got to be one of the most common excuses for anything.

"If only I were richer...."
"If only I had a relationship...."
"If only I had a better job...."
"If only I were skinnier..."
"If only I were fitter..."
etc.

You get the idea. Everyone has an excuse for everything, but guess what? It is only an excuse, and when you have what you think will make you happier, then you will find something else that will prevent you from living the life of your dreams. The only way to to happiness is accepting yourself for who you are, and doing the best you can to fulfill your life goals. Rather than dwell on what isn't, make most of what you have, and learn what it takes to overcome your weakness from inside rather than looking outwards for a solution.

EscapeArtist

how do you figure you are not good looking?
At least by what I can see of your profile picture you have a very good looking face
I think it's an acceptance type of thing, no?

DespairSoul

I think that if I were a very good looking person that my SAD would drastically be reduced and I'd have a much easier time holding a conversation...

I do believe that also. If i were better looking i would be more able in public, maybe we are those cases what will be this thing helpful, i see here a lot of people have SA here and they are really attractive and anyway they suffer with anxiety. I dont know maybe is cure for us be more able to talk people and be less nervouss,but i dont think so anxiety dissapear completely. This is hard to believe. We are obssesive about beuaty. This is us excuse this how we are. Everything is exactly about if. But i know i will be atleast half cured and this will be mean a lot to me.

Last edited:

panicsurvivor

No. Narcissism Is being in love with who you are, not wishing you were something else. Believe me your looks have nothing to do with it. It is your brain. Your thoughts and feelings make you have anxiety not the shell that they come in.

Shell Fish

It's not narcissistic, it's just unrealistic. It's not unreasonable to think that looking good would help, but it's not going to get rid of all your problems. I think it's the effect that feeling ugly all the time has on you is what is the worst. I don't know how anyone can think looking good is worse than being ugly though, lol.

Last edited:

Kiwong

I am naturally shy and I don't think I would be able to cope with the attention of others if I was seen as attractive. There is more to healthy self esteem that just looks.

Felgen

First of all, how many ugly people are there who do not have anxiety? A lot. Second, social anxiety may cripple one's self-esteem to a large degree. Third, looks can be improved.

Pookah

I think people would like me more if I was more attractive. Easier to get a date and friends. People do gravitate towards attractiveness.