Is a social phobia something your born with???

Migy

Or is it something that is triggered by things that happened in your upbringing from early childhood to your teens?

missjesss

Banned
I dont think ppl are born with it ... im pretty sure mine started when I was 13 when I entered high school and got teased about my legs which led to bulimia and self destruct and I wud avoid things I was good at etc just to avoid humiliation mind you I didnt know I was being not normal...so when I was 19 I got into the party scene and started with party drugs every weekend for 8 months untill I got my first panic attack one night from an e and i wasnt the same after that it has now been 2 years since then and can say ive been diagnosed with this disorder i dont get the full blown panic attacks anymore tho and have conquered most of it myself but i still have a long way to go :-( also judging from chatting with ppl on here stressfull events and bullying seems to be a major trigger...

Aussie_Lad

It could be something you are born with or develop, and can be brought about by something that has happened in a previous incarnation. For example you might have been beaten up by a gang of youths and left to die. In your next life this may lead to a mis-trust of people without you being conciously aware of the cause of the issue.

Kiwong

I was born with shyness and sensitivity.

My life experiences have seen this develop into anxiety.

mads

People are not born with anxiety or phobias. It is some events in our life that can trigger it.

sam89

I believe part of it is genetic, but in large part it depends on the environment. The way you were brought up could have a dramatic effect. When I look back, I see that every detail about my childhood and later contributed to the disorder.

sevenroses

I think you can be born with having a naturally shy/timid personality and also born with a high sensitivity to disapproval which in turn can make you more prone to develop social anxiety in certain environmental conditions.

Last edited:

I'm Not There

I remember avoiding situations where I'd be the center of attention in kindergarten, when I was only 5 years old. So somehow I believe that I was born with SA.

No, phobia's aren't dictated genetically. It can, however, start very early. Even before our memories start registering (as such it can seem like we were born with it).

Though, I do think you can be born with a greater tendency to be shy or submissive in nature. Or of course, the opposite, aggressive and dominant. But I don't think it's written in stone from birth. We've learned most of our behavior.

See it as a ball rolling down hill, the shape and size of the ball is not enough to go by to estimate its exact path. It can go either way. ;3

Sinar_Matahari

Two therapists have told me that genetics may factor in the development of social phobia, but I don't think that anyone is born a social phobic. A person may be more susceptible to developing SP if it's in their genes.

"In all psychology behavior, including the exhibition of symptoms of mental illnesses, is subject to the nature or nurture debate. That is, the behavior is due to genetic influence, environmental influence, or to interaction between both genetic and environmental factors?"

Read more: The Genetic Factors of Social Phobia

quietkiwi

Two therapists have told me that genetics may factor in the development of social phobia, but I don't think that anyone is born a social phobic. A person may be more susceptible to developing SP if it's in their genes.

I've been told a similar thing that you can be predisposed through genes to being more anxious which can lead to social phobia. I think environment and sensitivity play a huge part though. I was always shy and sensitive but was also social until I left high school and there were changes in my social environment. Only then did I feel social phobia crept in.