Interests in serial murder?

Whychosis

I'm sure I'm not the only one here. I've seen all the documentaries on the most notorious serial killers and those not so heard of. Read all the articles and biographies. Seen the crime scene photos, ect. I've read into war crimes as well. My mother is a writer and always told me she studied up on this subject as well. It's more like a hobby of mine, for knowledge sake. I try to relate to those who committed these crimes. Not to say I support it. I enjoy pointing out their flaws and mistakes, learning from them. Applying this to my own life in order to avoid any immoral indulgence. It frightens me, but fascinates at the same time. Like most of these individuals I share similar upbringing. I wet the bed until I was 15, I burned things and even smoked pencil shavings. From what I can remember I never killed anything bigger than an insect. Thought I do recall playing with dead animals. I brought a dead snake to school for show and tell that my dad hit with a lawn mower. I was forced to throw it away but retrieved it after school and saved it in my room.

Not to say I'll end up killing people one day. Though the subject is interesting to me. From a religious standpoint it empowers wisdom into me about spiritual battle. I understand how it can be misunderstood. I see the devil in others, in myself. I do my best to channel this torment and use it in my artwork. I try not to allow him to fester within me, persuade and guide my actions. I want to exorcise his goal to destroy me by using it to captivate and possibly save lives, not take them.

Not to get off topic. Does anyone else share this interest? Produce work that touches on the subject? how does it sit with you?

Well, had to take a double look at the thread title. After reading I was sure I misread interests in serial numbers. Another of my quirks I guess. Numbers Murder. Yeah, they look alike.

Everyone has interests. If you say this is nothing but an interest than it is so. Sits with me fine. Can't speak for others. Slightly envious of many others interests, yours included. My interests are movies and remembering movie quotes. Mine.

Is there some form of reward for smoking pencil shavings? This is a curious trait.

Hate bugs. In path, dead. Especially those small wolf spiders. They jump too much.

Whychosis

The pencil shavings thing, I dunno why it happened. To feel cool I guess. That was a long time ago, I was like 8. I was mostly burning stuff, which probably wasn't out of the ordinary. I'm sure a lot of us did that. I only mentioned it because I was referring to the Macdonald triad of sociopathic behavior (which isn't fully credible). It attempts to connect cruelty towards animals, pyromania, and prolonged bed wetting as the key factors for sociopathic and/or homicidal tendencies.

Lost Girl

I have a ton of books on serial killers. I don't really know why I'm so fascinated by the subject, but I'm always drawn to those particular books when at the library or book store. I like to get a little scared and horrified at what they did I guess, and like to read deeper into how they became that way, try to figure out how their mind works sort of thing.

I have a ton of books on serial killers. I don't really know why I'm so fascinated by the subject, but I'm always drawn to those particular books when at the library or book store. I like to get a little scared and horrified at what they did I guess, and like to read deeper into how they became that way, try to figure out how their mind works sort of thing.

Admittedly, that does sound interesting. What striking similarities one may find.
Mystery, discovery, awareness, know more.

Currently studying this one:
The+Joker+-+Batman.JPG

He's quite the joker, I hear.

Whychosis

They did a great job with the villain in that movie, I'm sure many would agree. Though I hear people give credit to villains who didn't take the role deep enough. He went all out in The Dark Knight though. It felt real and a tad disturbing. Most directors seem to believe that a good villain is measured by their body count. Joker in Dark Knight only really killed a few people by his own hand that I can remember. The rest was simply portrayed, still topping most others. Best movie bad guy in a while.

lunarla

Many a days I've sat and watched one after one of those real life murder mystery shows on tv. And I've looked up and watched documentaries on serial killers as well. Though for me, I don't feel any relation to them. More of disgust, really. I'm obviously a tinge intrigued by it to be watching it, but I really don't know why. It provokes my paranoia quite a bit too. I don't have it in me to hurt anything/one else unless it were in self defense. So I guess I'll never truly understand why someone would do such a thing.

Tiercel

Yes, although not quite as much as my twin sister. (Imagine that!) I'm actually a bit rusty when it comes to knowing my serial killers and their crimes.

Probably the best two books I've read this year had to do with murdering Jews during WWII. The one about the Einsatzgruppen (the groups that rounded up and mostly shot Jews) was enlightening. They did a lot more than just shoot people at the edge of a ditch, so I'd definitely recommend it to those interested in human cruelty.

The memoir of the commandant of Auschwitz honestly made me feel sorry for the guy. He knew that murdering people in death camps was "wrong," but he honestly believed most of the Nazi ideology. The prisoners were terrible to each other, but that had nothing to do with how he was running it. It was because they couldn't behave any differently (you know, being an inferior race and all). He seems sad that he got caught, but only because he was awaiting his last walk to the gallows.

Of course I don't agree with anything the Nazis did, or go around killing people. I'm just fascinated by how people can do such terrible things when they already know just how terribly wrong those things are.

Sinar_Matahari

I had a phase where I watched documentaries and movies about the notorious serial killers. I think that my interest has something to do with the fact that my dad used to own numerous books on serial killers. We share the morbid fascination. I was fascinated with the Marquis de Sade. Alright, he was more of a sexual deviant and sadist than a serial killer, but nonetheless a sick bastard. I've been meaning to read some of his works. I watched 'Quills' and my interest in de Sade grew. Especially since Geoffrey Rush played the Marquis.

Last edited:

Sinar_Matahari

Of course I don't agree with anything the Nazis did, or go around killing people. I'm just fascinated by how people can do such terrible things when they already know just how terribly wrong those things are.

I've read a few Holocaust memoirs myself. They were quite disturbing but nothing disturbed me as much as reading about the attrocities committed by the Japanese during WWII.

This is something I enjoy doing too :D Its really interesting to me. Mostly because I have always wanted to do something in the police field. I like detective stuff a lot too. My fav show, The First 48. Its real and thats what makes it good. I enjoy reading and watching bios on serial killers also.

Jake123

Banned
I love serial killers. And I love the series Dexter, which is a show about a serial killer and takes place where I live lol (Miami)

Tiercel

I've read a few Holocaust memoirs myself. They were quite disturbing but nothing disturbed me as much as reading about the attrocities committed by the Japanese during WWII.

Apparently the Japanese were the only ones who had to issue clarifications about cannibalism during the war. At least they're the only ones I've read about so far.

You remind me that I've been meaning to read about both the German and the Japanese experiments on live humans.

*scurries off in search of relevant book titles to seek out*

I love serial killers. And I love the series Dexter, which is a show about a serial killer and takes place where I live lol (Miami)

Dexter, is good. He doesn't smile much. Easier to get along with. A conversation in silence, nothing to be said. Good show.

Miami, lots of sun. Nice place. Never been. Think too many think this. So stay away most likely I will.