If updates where made ?

Lea

Banned
Like button - yes. It seems to me even better than reps because they´re anonymous, only receives them the poster and doesn´t even know whom it is from. Other members of the forum don´t know the particular post was repped.

Deleting our own thread - I am not very sure about this. Because if we delete a thread we started, others have already replied to it and put work into their replies, now we take it away :(. But I do remove my threads too sometimes, I always ask a moderator to do it.

A forum for members over 30 - perhaps.

A junk forum to post all junk posts (which people make because they´re bored) so that it doesn´t litter other forums.

An Off Topic which gets more exposure.

QuieT

When I first read this thread a while ago I thought that some of these ideas is not quite impossible to achieve. I found the notification system of the new replies in particular a catchy one (not the easiest one though), it was mentioned first by @blackpuma and seconded later on by other members (@vj288 and @bsebring), so I decided to give it a shot. I wrote a script that should do the job and have tested it on two versions of Firefox besides IE6.

At first the plan was to rely on the 'subscribed threads' page to get a list of the threads that have been responded to recently. What I disliked about this implementation plan is that this list is only valid per login, that is, if you logged out, or you were idle for 15 minutes, whichever is sooner, the list is no more useful. It is better to let the function be more flexible and independent.

I was thinking then in making it run through Bookmarklets so that whenever any forum page is open the user can trigger the required code to run by a bookmarklet link/button.

This choice is one of the available choices but it has a major drawback: it will need the code file to be uploaded to the server so it can work without any special tweaks. I don't know if this is possible and whether the mods can upload files to the SPW server or not, however a client side solution was still inevitable.

(1) via Greasemonkey add-on
First I would like to to recommend another more robust way that doesn't need any modifications in the browser settings: Greasemonkey is a Firefox add-on that executes user scripts on the fly for any specified web page. All you need to do is that you need to install the Greasemonkey add-on, then just save the file attached with this post to somewhere on your drive and drag and drop it into the browser. This is intended to work on Firefox, although never tried the other browsers (namely Chrome, Safari, IE) I read that they either have the ability to run Greasemonkey user scripts or have some sort of equivalent kits.

(2) via a bookmarklet
For now users of other browser than Firefox can run the script manually by the Bookmarklet links way with some setting modification.

In IE (I tested with IE6 on an old XP system) you have to add the SPW site (add this: *.socialphobiaworld.com) to the trusted sites zone: Internet Options -> security tab -> select "Trusted sites" and click the "sites" button.

Don't forget to hit the (Custom Level) button to make sure that the item (access data source across domain) is enabled.

In Firefox I recommend using Greasemonkey, but you are still able of running it under Bookmarklet if you prefer that for any reason. In this case though it will only work in an older than Firefox 5 version (only from 1 to 4) this is because of more strict security implementations made by Mozilla in its newest versions.

Here is a few portable choices to test with that doesn't need to install on the system Firefox Protable go to the bottom of the page and choose one of the old versions available (I tested it on FF 8.0.1 and FF 3.6.24).

Now with Firefox you also have to add a three lines of code to the file (prefs.js) found on this path: <yourdrive>:\<path>\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile

just make sure the browser is not running because it will overwrite your modifications if you didn't close it before adding these lines to the end of the file:
user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.checkloaduri.enabled", "allAccess");
user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.sites", "http://www.socialphobiaworld.com");
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "localfilelinks");

Now close the file and open your browser and you will be able to use the bookmaklet to run the functionality.

* install the bookmarklet (works with solution 2- via a bookmarklet)
Here is the bookmarklet code:

Code:
javascript:(function(){var%20e=document.getElementById("__id");if(e)e.parentNode.removeChild(e);e=document.createElement("script");e.setAttribute("id","__id");e.setAttribute("type","text/javascript");e.setAttribute("src","file:///C:/rn.user.js");document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(e)})()

Make a new bookmark in your browser and put the previous string in the "Location/URL" box.

Whenever you visit a forum page on SPW you can click the bookmark entry and the code will run to check the currently listed threads in that page. (don't forget to change the path in the link if you put the file "rn.user.js" (the attached file) somewhere other than drive ( C: ).

If the attached code file could be uploaded to the server that would be great and everyone would be able to run the function without any tampering with the settings.

For Greasemonkey no need for uploading the file, it is already attached in the client's browser, which has some advantages actually: users can set their own preferences, for example the code is set now to wait for 20 seconds trying to connect to the server before terminating the process, also it only scans the last 5 pages in threads that have reached 1000 posts! this situation was made manageable by limiting the scan to a max number of pages that can be altered by the user (default is 5 now).

I changed the extension of the script/code file to .txt so I can attach it, but don't forget to turn it back into (rn.user.js) where .js is the extension (for Windows users make sure the "Hide extension for known file types" is unchecked from the explorer window: tools -> folder options -> view ->...)

It worked for me. Hope it works fine and that it is of any use to you. If there is any errors just drop a post here and I will try to fix it quick.

I have been around for a long time but haven't made this account until recently, I obviously wasn't active at all. Not quite a newbie.. have SAD, I wish not! shortest intro!

SPW forum and its members are beautiful.

EDIT: - I didn't notice that the bookmarklet link went wrong because of the forum editor.. I modified the text (added the code part with a new instruction line).
- I also corrected the Greasemonkey add-on broken link.
- You should now ignore the attached file in this post and go download the latest copy from my latest posts in this thread.

Attachments

• rn.user.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

QuieT

Update: fixed a small piece of the code, here is a newer copy of the file "rn.user.txt"

Attachments

• rn.user.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 0

systemanic

I'd also like to add though, a bigger inbox would be great. I have a tendency to just keep private messages, and I don't really like to delete them
Oh yes this. I'm always at about 96% full because I hate deleting any of the PM's, and when I delete them I always have to make sure they're quoted in another on of my pm's (i.e. the reply). I'm going to have to start deleting pm's I don't want to though, unless it gets bigger
You can save them u know --> just select "save as TXT" in drop-down --> when notepad doc opens, use "save as" to save the file

I have been around for a long time but haven't made this account until recently, I obviously wasn't active at all. Not quite a newbie.. have SAD, I wish not! shortest intro!

SPW forum and its members are beautiful.

Hi and welcome :)

EscapeArtist

All good ideas
I like the bigger inbox. And like system idea. Not only would it help people feel like they're being heard, but it would provide a way to convey a message of appreciation and listening for a person who has trouble posting. Is the main mod person active on here? That's just a great idea.
I actually really like the layout of this site, and the color scheme though.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
You can save them u know --> just select "save as TXT" in drop-down --> when notepad doc opens, use "save as" to save the file

Wow I did not know that actually, that would have been a very helpful when my PM box first filled up though ::p: ::(: Thank you! :)

Silatuyok

At the risk of sounding like a total jerk, it would be kinda nice to have a "block" feature, like on facebook. That's all I'm going to say about that. :rolleyes:

QuieT

You really can find amazing stuff on the web. Using a web service that I have just found I converted the Reply Notifier script I wrote about earlier into a fully supported web extension (addons) by three major browsers: Firefox, Chrome, and IE.

Here is the link for the installation page: SPW Reply Notifier 1.0.2

When you start the installation, the browser you are using will be detected.

If you want a direct installation links for your specific browser, here they are:
Firefox
Google Chrome
Internet Explorer

I have tested this addon/extension on the three browsers and it worked like a charm!

No need for any tweaks anymore, it is a stand alone addon now and it is cross browser.

What does the extension do:

After scanning threads for new quoting of your name ('new' means after your last post in the scanned thread) it draws a small icon beside the title of the thread floated to the right side (see the attached picture of my subscription page, the small red circle).

When installing the addon you don't have to do anything, the addon will not affect your browsing action, it will be executed automatically by your browser in the background, just give it a few seconds to do its work and see the result (the small icons on the right of the thread title).

The addon will only work on SPW website. It also will only examine the threads you have posted in at least once, it will ignore the rest.

It starts scanning the threads from the last page and backward, if it found a quote it will set a flag icon and quit, if it doesn't find any quoting on the page it will check if you have posted in this page, if you have it will set a flag that no one quoted you after your last post and quit. Otherwise it will fetch the previous page and start over. This continues until it finds a quote or a post of you in the last 10 pages of any given thread, or it sets a flag that nothing was found in the last 10 pages and quit. Pretty simple logic.

The flags are as follows:
If you're quoted:
post_new.gif

No quotes:
post_old.gif

Nothing yet for the last 10 pages:
multipage.gif

You have not posted in the thread:
thread_lock.gif

(you should never see this icon because the addon should not examine threads you haven't posted on in the first place)

Attachments

• subscription.jpg
    subscription.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0