if anyone interested in meditation

hardy

Here is the Buddha's guided meditation for the beginners. I practice it and really helped me

Vipassana Research Institute

Believe me meditation, i.e observing mind is the only way to overcome all mental problems permanently.

mikebird

Banned
Good to be reminded

my memory is not infallible

I struggle to find words in my vast, trustworthy vocabulary
Any feeling or thought gets me searching. In conversation, I tell myself and others that I will find the word in 10 seconds. I do. It's rewarding.

Meditation is a bit trivial and peripheral, as religion, but I do it in my way, which is my form of procrastination ; I flop into bed, grass meadow, beach... to breathe, shut eyes and sometime carefully choosing music. After 5 minutes, I get bored of it and resume what I was doing before, usually radically inspired to do or research something. I don't like any idea of giving up or relaxing. I have to keep really busy.

Best form of meditation has become keeping my eyes shut on the treadmills, made by American Precor & Matrix. The harsh spotlights in the gym are grim to have to look up at when my head is throbbing. There are beats I adjust the speed to keep my feet bouncing in time. I never use earpods. Everyone else does.

Bo592

I love threads on meditation we don`t get to many threads on meditation anymore. I love being reminded that their away we can control our brain it bring me hope. I use youtube videos on meditation. I wish we all would talk more about this it a good subject.

Flanscho

I practice vipassanā meditation every now and then. It has no spiritual meaning whatsoever for me, but is simply a method to relax and raise body awareness.

rcnm

Good, I really like meditation, it makes me feel much better. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Trishanku

On Vipassana if anyones interested watch this Interesting documentary called "Doing Time, Doing Vipassana" You can watch it on youtube I think.

SoScared

I'm going to use this thread to try and explain how Vipassana can help those amongst us who stare. I used to be chronically hyper-vigilant (staring). I have now got this pretty much under control and have the grounding to continue the rest of my life without staring. I feel as though I could walk away from the forum now but as there are still many threads concerning this predicament I will attempt to share the practice that has helped me so much.

The first document introduces the basics. This will be followed on subsequent days by introductions to two significant Vipassana Teachers. The first teacher will offer guided meditations that feature ‘gaze’ practice and introduce equanimity. The second teacher offers insight into develops equanimity and fear and gives real guidance of how to be in the present. Lastly I will add a few comment on an element of CBT called Exposure Response Prevention (ERP).

So, if you’re a starer or just generally hyper-vigilant and want to lead a different life start with the first and only document.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/mahasit1.pdf

*hint; it’s the concept of noting (naming) that I want you to grasp from this document although it is all wonderfull.*

SoScared

Hello and welcome to Part 2 of an Introduction to Vipassana Meditation subtitled ‘how to stop staring’.

Today a specific Vipassana Guided Meditation is introduced. The meditation is a ‘standing meditation’ by Bhante Bhodihamma titled ‘Abiding in the Present Moment Developing Equanimity.

Satipanya Buddhist Retreat

Two features that you may pick on are practice reducing your peripheral vision and developing equanimity. This type of skilful practice enables you to establish a default posture.

(*hint; Equanimity is having an even mind in a state of psychological stability and composure which is undisturbed by experience of or exposure to emotions, pain, or other phenomena that may cause others to lose the balance of their mind….from Wiki *)

Don’t forget your work from Part 1.
Looking, looking
Seeing, seeing
Hearing, hearing etc, etc critically letting your attention diminish into the noting word (feeling, feeling).

Summary
Part 1 – Noting (Naming)
Part 2 – Peripheral Vision and equanimity

Last edited:

SoScared

Lets do some revision on the noting technique…

When somebody comes into your vision….Seeing, seeing, and let the attention diminish into the noting word.
If you find your staring…Looking, looking. and let the attention diminish into the noting word.

I have a total of eight noting words that I use to facilitate the arrival of people into my vision.

Another example which is not part of the eight is my technique to avoid staring on buses. Of course it uses the noting technique.
When I’m on a bus and people board or move around….Commuter, commuter, and let the attention diminish into the noting word.

Don’t forget about Bhante Bhodihamma and his ‘standing meditation ‘Abiding in the Present Moment Developing Equanimity. This meditation gives specific practice as to how you can reduce excessive use of your peripheral vision…. Maybe also try the 45 minute Detailed Guided Meditation.

Summary
Part 1 – Noting (Naming) Practice
Part 2 – Peripheral Vision and equanimity

Tomorrow I will introduce you to a new teacher who, over time will give you all the techniques you require to stop staring.

SoScared

Today I want to introduce you to Tara Brach from the Insight Meditation Center Washington. She will give you the tools you need to stop staring in addition to those that I’ve already mentioned.

Dharma Seed - Tara Brach's Dharma Talks

I suggest that you start with a talk on equanimity and then maybe listen to one on fear. It might be a good idea to accumulate 5 talks and listen to them a few times. Also chose some guided meditations.

Tara will tell you about.
Equanimity – Aversion and Fear
Being in the present moment
The art of pausing
Rain
And much much more.

Don’t forget about Bhante Bhodihamma and his ‘standing meditation ‘Abiding in the Present Moment Developing Equanimity. This meditation gives specific practice as to how you can reduce excessive use of your peripheral vision…. Maybe also try the 45 minute Detailed Guided Meditation.

Summary so Far
Vipassana Basic Meditation - You learnt about noting.
Seeing, seeing..and let the attention diminish into the noting word.
Looking, looking…and let the attention diminish into the noting word.
Other noting words that you will be adding yourselves

Peripheral Vision Reduction and Equanimity - Bhante Bhodihamma and his ‘standing meditation ‘Abiding in the Present Moment Developing Equanimity.

Last edited:

SoScared

I’m planning to do just one more discussion on ‘How to Stop Staring’ using Vipassana Mediation Techniques. It will cover real life applications of how to stop staring and finally some discussion of a CBT technquie called Exposure Response Prevention (ERP).