I love Winter!!! Hardly any sweat

Mozart22

Hey everyone, I haven't posted on here in several months. I have facial hyperhidrosis which is absolutely horrible because everyone can see your face and forhead, you can't really hide it well. I've managed to make it bearable by using Avert (glycopyrolate).

While I definitely need to use Avert in the summer, right now during the winter I use it quite rarely. In fact I haven't taken any Avert in 5 weeks! I love winter!

Of course, there are still some important factors. If I go into a room with too much heating, that can cause sweating. Some rooms or offices have the thermostat set too high.

Also, if I did some physical activity, like walking up several flights of stairs or moving something heavy, I'll sweat.

But most of my time in the winter I'm able to (mostly) forget my sweating.
I make some smart adjustments like wearing a jacket outside but light airy clothing indoors. Sometimes I'll wear a baseball cap to soak up forehead sweat. If I do sweat I can go to the bathroom and cool off for 10 or 15 minutes. And of course, I try not to do anything too physical, but if I have to, I do it slowly.

Compare that to the summer, where it's hot and humid here. Sweat will drip down my face simply by walking for 3 minutes to get to my car!

I love winter and it's sort of a "vacation from hyperhidrosis" for me.
Spend half the year sweating a lot (late spring and summer) and spend
half the year not worrying too much about it (late autumn, winter, early spring). It's also nice to have to take Avert often in the winter, because as you all know, it can be a hassle. For Avert to work on me, I have to make sure my stomach is empty, and I have to refrain from eating for a few hours. In addition it gives me a very dry mouth and throat requiring frequent sips of water.

I still have another 2 and a half months before the weather starts getting hot again and I need to go back to taking Avert often.

ukchick

I agree..life is much easier in the colder months...I couldn't even imagine living somewhere hot most of the year...

miserablecow

I don't mind winter, but prefer autumn. I also have rheumatoid arthritis, so my joints are always stiff and painful in this time of year.

Agent_Violet

I looooove the winter.My winter wardrobe is way nicer and I rarely sweat which is AWESOME!! :D

But I hate being cold...figure that one out:question:

jaim38

I love winter and it's sort of a "vacation from hyperhidrosis" for me.

I completely agree. Winter is my favorite season with all those holidays comin not to mention sweating less. My summer wardrobe sucks. I sweat a lot on my back so I need to bring a jacket with me at all times just in case the sweat stains show up. But wearing a jacket in the summer is just awkward and weird. And wearing black tees all the time doesn't look good. But in the winter, I don't sweat much and I can wear a jacket whenever wherever without feeling out of place.

AdamE

Winter is the best! Not only is it cold (no sweating!) but it's dark, too! (I'm photophobic.)

hyp-hi

Yep, definitely less sweat in winter. I have the temperature set cold in my house and my hands are actually too dry. But like you said when you go to a place where the heat is turned up, it comes back.

Amherst

I cannot agree more. I've had to travel twice to Europe in addition to the U.S. West Coast, the Deep South and the U.S. East Coast in the last two months. Schlepping heavy bags around, boarding trains, going through lengthy security checkpoints at airports and simply walking around outside is so much easier! The only tricky part is the temperatures in the airplanes. I've had some heavenly flights where the temperatures are about 18 degrees (65 degrees Fahrenheit) but others closer to 26 or 27 degrees (about 80 Fahrenheit). When you jam-pack so many people into a crowded space and then crank the heat, I'll sweat some - but fortunately only two of my flights have been like that.

margiehope

Hey Mozart!
I prefer winter as well, at least for getting around. (I actually love summer warmth--or would if it didn't produce sweat.)
BUT, right now we're having a lot of humidity--hard to remember to take Avert (I usually remember when my head is soaking--reminder of the bad old days!
Oh well, it's better than summer!

IntheLabyrinth

I too love it! Does the sweat occur all the time for those of you that have this issue or just in social situations or shortly before going into social situations? I usually sweat a lot less at night when I won't have any social interactions until the next day, no matter what the temperature is.

margiehope

I too love it! Does the sweat occur all the time for those of you that have this issue or just in social situations or shortly before going into social situations? I usually sweat a lot less at night when I won't have any social interactions until the next day, no matter what the temperature is.

Social anxiety can contribute to HH, but for most of us I think it is independent of that. Temperature matters, but HH is an over-reaction.

Though it's better in the winter, I find going from cool outside to hot indoors can produce annoying sweat as well. Frustrating!:kickingmyself:

Lamb

Winter is the best! I still do sweat, but underdressing (2 layers, a jacket, but nothing too heavy) seem to help. If I didn't get sick I'd be outside in a tank top. I hope spring takes its time getting here.

mikebird

Banned
I thrive on the cold. I don't know anyone like me.

High blood pressure

I walk around in a t-shirt and sandals when it's cold & raining

I've snowboarded and sailed a yacht in minimal clothing.

I heat myself.

I hate being told to wear hats, gloves, jumpers, scarves... the worst commands which I react badly to

I deal with general public mocking when others are wrapped up. I smile. I like being different

Flanscho

Winter looks nice, but I depend a lot in my bicycle. Just yesterday I had a crash, because I didn't see a massive sheet of ice under thin snow. So I'm forced to take the tram, which is expensive, slow, and has me surrounded by hundreds of people. Eeew...

VainCape

I absolutely love winter as well. Temperatures only fall to around 20 degrees for 2 months, its probably not as extreme as the winter most of you experience but it still provides much needed break from the severe hyperhidrosis that affects me during the rest of the year.