I hate to sound negative although it's in my nature

jryden

but I'm almost 100% sure I will walk off any job that I get.

I'm still looking for a job and I'm forcing myself to send out my resume to anything that sounds like something I can do. Although that follows with me convincing myself that I can't do it.

Just reading job descriptions can give me an anxiety attack. Office jobs are the worst!

If I do get an Interview and get the job, there might be a day when I can't take it and I'll walk out of there.
My anxiety can get to the point when having a job means less than me sitting there and dealing with it.

If you stop showing up a job, how does that end? Are you fired, do you quit? Is it on your record? Is there even a record? lol

Roman Legion

My first job as a teenager was at Pizza Plus and I hated it for many reasons (I'll elaborate if you want.) but I just stopped coming in and never heard anything from them, they sent my last check in the mail. Is there a record, I have no idea, but mine has been a bad one with the exception of the Army, which I have been in for 5 years now and get out next year and I hate that job as well. Maybe we are all a little bit self-destructive, who knows?

aNOTfox

If you have a talk with your boss about your problems with anxiety when you first get the job, they'll be sure to understand and may even have a system in place to help people in your situation. This was the case for me when I worked at Poundworld xD
You'll also have to get your doctor involved. Remember, where work is concerned mental health is just as important as physical health so your entitled to the same as someone who is physically ill - you may be allowed sick leave when your going through a particularly bad time with your anxiety.
Your place of work may also have its own counselling programme that works with your company.

try to remember- no matter how bad it gets, push youself to soldier on, and stay stong

Last edited:

Roman Legion

If you have a talk with your boss about your problems with anxiety when you first get the job, they'll be sure to understand and may even have a system in place to help people in your situation.
You'll also have to get your doctor involved. Remember, where work is concerned mental health is just as important as physical health so your entitled to the same as someone who is physically ill - you may be allowed sick leave when your going through a particularly bad time with your anxiety.
Your place of work may also have its own counselling programme that works with your company to help you get the most out of work.

In America, employers tend to either not hire you if you have ANY issues and if you have the job, they look for ways to make you miserable enough to leave. This has been my experience and everyone in my family's experience. There is no understanding in this country. Sick leave, they don't care about that here either; my mother and brother make minimum wage and if they call in sick, they have to pay to see a doctor and get a note proving they were indeed ill, problem is, seeing a doctor is expensive when you barely survive on minimum wage. My last job in a factory, I wasn't allowed to miss a day during my probationary 3 months and when I took ill and had to work, I was vomitting on the line and was sent home and told to see a doctor. I went to the doctor and my employer wouldn't let me work despite the doctor saying I could do light duty. Maybe things in the UK work better, but they suck in the crappy old USA.

jryden

If you have a talk with your boss about your problems with anxiety when you first get the job, they'll be sure to understand and may even have a system in place to help people in your situation. This was the case for me when I worked at Poundworld xD
Your place of work may also have its own counselling programme that works with your company.

try to remember- no matter how bad it gets, push youself to soldier on, and stay stong

I've been told its not such a good idea to tell an employer about these issues. You would have to be really lucky to land on a boss/supervisor who understands the issues, and is willing to help you work around them.
Can you imagine me telling a boss I am extremely shy and have daily nervous breakdowns. Why would anyone want me in that state to represent their company. I have no choice but to fake my way through it.

I don't see a doctor for my problems-long story. So they would even have to take my word on it.

Last edited:

laure15

If you stop showing up a job, how does that end? Are you fired, do you quit? Is it on your record? Is there even a record? lol

Whether you quit or get fired, it does show on your record, but getting fired is viewed more negatively than quitting. When you get fired, it's usually for a negative reason (which is listed on your employment record as well).

JuiceB

Whether you quit or get fired, it does show on your record, but getting fired is viewed more negatively than quitting. When you get fired, it's usually for a negative reason (which is listed on your employment record as well).

Yeah and you need to remember that when you apply for a job they usually ask for references, which includes supervisors from a previous job.

@Roman Legion - That is true, here your boss/supervisor will see you as a liability if they know you have issues. At my job we don't get sick days either.

Metal_isthe_Answer

Its funny that you say that office jobs are the worst, I work in a cafeteria and, no joke, I get pretty depressed/ suicidal, and office job sounds like heaven to me

Roman Legion

Yeah and you need to remember that when you apply for a job they usually ask for references, which includes supervisors from a previous job.

@Roman Legion - That is true, here your boss/supervisor will see you as a liability if they know you have issues. At my job we don't get sick days either.

The show Penn & Teller: Bull**** gave some more insight into this in the episode Americans Disabilities Act; in that episode they revealed employers are afraid of anyone with an issue because they fear being sued. I'd add to that and say they also don't want to deal with you unless you are hunky-dory and there are many others applying for the same minimum wage positions that any abnormality can be dismissed for the next guy is is or at least appears 100% fine. I'd advise BS-ing your way into the job by hiding the anxiety the best you can and then acting normal once you get the job and if asked, maybe tell them you issue, at least you can get a bit of work/ pay before they try to make you quit. All my jobs, I have been a wage slave and doing menial labour and I agree with Metal_isthe_Answer, I felt the same way working those jobs and an office sounds like it would be great compared to the alternative. My last job, I applied for clerical work, but the company is rather sexist and only hires women for that and stuck me on the assembly line.

SelfHater

I got to say, it has been a long time since the last time I logged on. I am a middle aged guy in his 40's and recently lost my job due to budget cuts, not job related performance. I am starting to run out of money. I am having trouble talking, getting up the courage to look for a job. Finding a job that is not boring, pays well, and does not push me over an edge is hard. Landing that job is even harder with the competition.

I forced myself into a state sponsored class that teaches you how to do interviews. Unfortunately it teaches me to be something I am not just for the sake of getting a job. Tomorrow I have a MOCK interview. I had a nervous break down tonight. For a middle age guy to get a break down is embarrassing. Hopefully that will not happen tomorrow, if it does, no big deal other then making an *** out of myself.

Anyways I found the class useful information wise. I logged in a found your title hilarious. It's something I can relate to. This BS I am going though just to make a buck is so not me. I can relate. I guess I just needed that reminder that I am not alone. Just make sure you remember the same thing. Make an attempt to remember that most people are not worth getting excited about, yeah I know, easier said than done. Normally they are only worried about themselves. You are probably more deserving of a decent salary than they are.

Xervello

It's fine. I didn't even notice until you pointed it out, ha ha. Still a relevant conversation for the peeps here.

gustavofring

Work is awful. No matter what.

Well, the work is actually not that bad. It's the PEOPLE! "Hell is other people" - Sartre.

The politics, the gossipping, the social pressure to fit in, the having to talk all the time, the nasty ness, the know-it-all behavior of colleagues, the nagging boss. I don't mind most work at all, but I hate the fact that you have to be in a room around other people all day. It's draining.

Unfortunately working is the only way to keep the bill-sharks at bay and not end up as a hobo or a wellfare case.