I don't know what to do...

WiwerGoch

My school is orgainsing a trip to London to see a musical I've always wanted to see. The trouble is, I don't know if I wan't to go because I'm scared I'll have a panic attack. Last time I went to London and a normal theatre, I had a bad panic attack. Maybe if I don't go, I'll regret it. I really want to go, but I'm scared :( what do I do?

mrb

id go , as you said you really want to see it , you will regret it if you dont go , you cant let your panic attacks rule your life lol , if you do have a panic attack , im sure it will pass , but you might not have a panic attack , you might have the time of your life and really enjoy it ..... id just go and enjoy being with your school freinds ;)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
My school is orgainsing a trip to London to see a musical I've always wanted to see. The trouble is, I don't know if I wan't to go because I'm scared I'll have a panic attack. Last time I went to London and a normal theatre, I had a bad panic attack. Maybe if I don't go, I'll regret it. I really want to go, but I'm scared :( what do I do?

If really want to go I say go. Take as many precautions as you can to make sure you don't have another panic attack. Conquer that fear, I have faith in you. :)

philly2bits

Go for it. It's best to get a handle on things before they become a habit. If you skip this before you know it you'll be skipping more and more things and then the habit to avoid situations becomes so entrenched it's impossible to overcome without alot of help.

Damaged

I think you should go :) before you go tell yourself over and over again, that 'no one has ever died from a panic attack, i will never die from a panic attack and if i happen to have one its just going to happen and i won't freak out as it will pass'. That always helps me when i go out.

For me as well when i go to the cinema and find that i get anxious i focus on what people are saying or the music/lyrics in the background, which helps a lot so maybe you could do this as your going to see a musical :D which one btw?

But yeah defo go, just try to think positive and everything will be okay and then you'll be so happy you'd gone and become more confident with doing stuff :)

WiwerGoch

For me as well when i go to the cinema and find that i get anxious i focus on what people are saying or the music/lyrics in the background, which helps a lot so maybe you could do this as your going to see a musical :D which one btw?

The musical is Wicked :)

Minty

You should go. Unless something at that specific theater triggered the panic attack last time, I don't see why you'd have it again? Maybe there are breathing techniques you can look up to help combat one if you feel one coming on, just in case. You shouldn't let fear dictate your life, as cliche as that sounds.

Minty

nothing about that theatre, just big buildings (where it's hard to get out) in general
Make sure you're sitting at the end of a row, preferably near a door. I'm sure once the musical starts, you'll get lost in it and enjoy yourself. :)

russ1116

I agree, u gotta go!. take meds and/or beta blockers and use them in paniky situations when needed... but don't let the panic win! Go do it!

greenwind

If you really want to see that musical, then I recommend you go, otherwise you'll regret it very much that a stupid thing like worrying about having a panic attack has held you back.

Not to say that it's stupid to worry about it, but if you let that stand in your way you're slowly cutting yourself off of everything you enjoy. The cause of a panic attack usually starts with worrying about having one and it will become a vicious circle very quickly.

If I'm about to have a panic attack (which is usually at night) I feel it well up inside me, fear about not being able to breath quickly rises up to the point that I have to turn on the light as quickly as possible to find any relief. What I found however is that I can put my mind off of it by using something that makes you feel safe. It might sound ridiculous but I have a small bunny figurine that I've always had on my night stand since I was little, it's one of those glow in the dark ones so I focus my thoughts on it and it sometimes helps to prevent my attack.

It might help if you take something that means much to you and that you had for a very long time, just believing that it'll help against having a panic attack helps greatly.
Hope this is useful to you or anyone else :).

MrQuay

Hi There,

You have already received some good advice.
As suggested by the Mod, avoidance can quickly become a habit. I know from my personal experience. Thankfully I only avoided on a few occasions.
I felt the fear but did it anyway and with some perseverance I managed to dispel the attacks.
Things like panic attacks can create a pattern, the same thing with worry.
There is a little technique you can try to break the pattern and interrupt the worry.
Put a rubber elastic band around your wrist (no one will see it), then when you realise that you are ruminating on negative thoughts.. snap the band on your wrist. And if you can, then try to shift the thought to a positive - any kind of positive will do.

Good luck