I can't remember things people tell me, any tips?

Hero

People think I'm quite rude for not remembering things that they've told me. It's probably due to my long term anxiety, not enough brain space for interesting stuff!
We have a conversation their words go through one ear and out the other. I know, as humans, we can't possibly remember everything, but it would be good to remember something! Like stories, jokes. Instructions I get from people such as a Boss.

I've asked some people about improving memory and they have suggestions like mnemonics and pairing words with pictures; but I find that is more for remembering shopping lists or studying. Does anyone have way of recalling things back ?

jaim38

I also have the same problem. Short term memory. If people start rambling on about different things continuously, I will have difficulty keeping track of everything they say. One solution is to keep a computer, notepad, or piece of paper nearby. Take notes and write/type down the main points. Then go back to the points once the speaker is done talking. I use the laptop a lot but it is kind of hard to hold a phone and type down stuff, so next time I'll try writing on paper.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I have good memory for old memories, but terrible memory for other things. It can be annoying to others because they have to repeat themselves a lot :/

mismeek

Ooooh i wonder if anxiety plays a role in short term memory?! Thesis research anyone?

My Bf always accuses me of not listening..but I AM i just don't remember every speck of detail in the conversation. I usually just remember the emotions surrounding it (i felt happy at the time or irritated) I couldnt tell you what was actually said