I believe I've overcome my SA

Overload

I'm at a point right now where I'm happy with who I am, and I'm choosing to prolong that feeling indefinitely. Whenever a negative thought about myself enters my head, it has no power.

Recently, I've come to an important realization. When conversing with other people, feel them. Pay attention to how they are feeling, because that's what they're doing for you. They are offering you their energy. If you don't give any in exchange, you can't expect a real connection to be made.

Pay attention to their emotions, not what you think they're thinking. Whatever you assume they are thinking is a projection of your own inner reality, not theirs. These assumptions are projections of your insecurities onto other people. Not everyone thinks of you the way you do. Love yourself, and you will see that others love you too.

Please believe me. This is all there is to it. It's that simple. Only a choice.

EscapeArtist

Thank you for this helpful tip! I will definitely be focusing more on what they are feeling. I love how you said "that's what they are doing for you.They are offering you their energy". Take care and I'm very happy for you!

I'm at a point right now where I'm happy with who I am, and I'm choosing to prolong that feeling indefinitely. Whenever a negative thought about myself enters my head, it has no power.

Recently, I've come to an important realization. When conversing with other people, feel them. Pay attention to how they are feeling, because that's what they're doing for you. They are offering you their energy. If you don't give any in exchange, you can't expect a real connection to be made.

Pay attention to their emotions, not what you think they're thinking. Whatever you assume they are thinking is a projection of your own inner reality, not theirs. These assumptions are projections of your insecurities onto other people. Not everyone thinks of you the way you do. Love yourself, and you will see that others love you too.

Congratulations on finding a way to overcome your own personal problem with SA.:)

However it is not "only a choice". I have never chosen to have this. Noone in their right mind would ever choose to have this.::(:
If only it were that simple.

Last edited:

SonicMan

Wow, thanks for that. I am so glad that you are doing well and your post will inspire many of us.

Overload

Congratulations on finding a way to overcome your own personal problem with SA.:)

However it is not "only a choice". I have never chosen to have this. Noone in their right mind would ever choose to have this.::(:
If only it were that simple.
Thanks.

It's not our fault we have this "condition," but when we continue to perpetuate this mindset of being a victim, progress cannot be made. You have to start from a positive place to see positive change.
People can choose to help themselves, but they can't just decide to suddenly be all better.

I'm not saying everyone will be able to instantly turn it around. However, it is a choice. You can choose to believe this truth, or continue to think otherwise.
Nothing new here.

You're right. Doesn't make it any less valid.

This is something we all know and understand. However, that's not the same as believing it.

Even saying "I have social anxiety disorder" puts you in a position where change cannot be made. In other words, it's an excuse. This may come off as harsh, but I don't know how else to put it.

Stop repressing your fears. Express it. Expose yourself to it. Let it overtake you. You'll be fine. This is absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Overload

How long did you have SA for, Overload? Were you diagnosed by a professional as having social anxiety disorder?

I've been socially anxious for at least 3 or 4 years. Got worse after high school, when I didn't have to interact with people on a daily basis.

I was never diagnosed, but I know I had it. I was deep into it. Couldn't even maintain eye contact with friends. Could barely talk to anyone. Would sweat even when answering simple questions. I know what anxiety feels like. I just decided to stop feeding the monster I created.

I know everyone here isn't me. I'm just explaining my situation in hopes someone can relate and help themselves.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I ask these things because I do not choose to believe anything without critical analysis first. And I've seen numerous people say they have the answer, the cure, and it's usually something simple and easy according to the claim.

forksandspoons

Congratulations

2llfshw.jpg

Last edited:

Aussie_Lad

I ask these things because I do not choose to believe anything without critical analysis first. And I've seen numerous people say they have the answer, the cure, and it's usually something simple and easy according to the claim.

It normally is something fairly simple, but differs for each person, and does not mean that you do not have to work hard at it.

I am naturally quiet energetic. While I don't need energy drinks to keep me going, I need is excitement, the more the better. If I don't use the energy in constructive ways, then it is more likely to produce levels of anxiety. Even if I can get excited about a social event, I usually have a good time. This is easier said than done though.

Feathers

Good to hear about it & Congratulations!! :)

Nathaniel, have you read How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie, or You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay or Meeting People Is Fun or any books on emotional intelligence or such?
Lots of books advise similar things... to focus on other people etc. and to accept & choose to like yourself.. something like that has worked for me in the past too..
it's not necessarily easy (or it can be)
The important thing is to really realize it & believe it, yup... It may be easier for some people in some situations than for others...
For example, it may be easier for a student, studying something parents & environment may be happy with, etc. with people who are generally enthusiastic or interested around them..

We are all different and have different paths... Some situations or life events may be more difficult to accept, the learning lessons may be all the more valuable though..