How good is "citalopram" for social phobia?

Kristopher

Meh, i take escitalapram which is the generic for lexapro, but ive also taken citalapram which is an older medication. in my opinion id go for the generic lexapro "escitalapram" just because its newer. but thats just me. as for any antidepressants the just put a comfortably numb bubble around me. in my case ive tried anything and everything since about 14. they all seem to just fall into the same catigory ssri or moai. they'res just different brand names from different companys making a market off the different names. take your pick :bigsmile:

Plan9

I really liked Citalopram, got me through a tough time. I think it all depends on you own brain chemistry though.

pinata

I've been taking this for about 6 weeks now.. haven't really noticed any positive changes though it might be helping my depression a tiny bit. I feel a bit more emotionally numb though. And I can't orgasm on it!

mixedupgirl

I took 10mg for a year and it stopped any anxious feelings from creeping up and i felt a lot better in terms of depression. I also felt like i had lots of energy all the time. I thought it was a good medicine all in all and it seemed to kick in quick for me, i only came off it when i got pregnant....

miserablecow

I was on bit for two months but stopped. I was on 10mg and only noticed the side effects. Im now taking olanzapine, but it isnt an anti-depressant.

It depends on the individual and it does take time for it to work.

nightcrawler

I've been taking this for about 6-8 weeks now, firstly on 10mg a day but now 20mg. It has definitely helped with my anxiety, only thing is is that it's killed my sex drive! :crying: Is there anything I can take to counter this but still keep the positive effects on my anxiety?

Oizys

I was on Citalopram for about a year or two, I was on 30mg I think, but my doctor switched me to Mirap for anxiety and because I'd turned into an insomniac on Citalopram. I can't really comment about sex drive though, it's not something I'm terribly bothered with.

nightcrawler

Well I've been taking this for a few months now (20mg a day) and can say that it's definitely helping. I'm not saying that I'm suddenly super-confident, but I'm finding it easier to interact/talk with other people and am just less reserved. The upside of this is as you talk with more people you start to gain confidence anyway. I also don't seem to have so many "walls" up around me, I think I'm (hopefully) more approachable now. There's a girl at my workplace who I really fancy and I used to go red really easily in front of her, but now I can talk to her quite easily :) I'm also in a good mood far more often now, whereas I used to have big mood swings. There are obviously still social situations I don't like/avoid, but hey...one step at a time. My only question is, are the effects of the medication likely to have reached a plateau now meaning this is the best it's gonna get? Or am I going to carry on improving?

Last edited:

Quietguy11

I take it in the morning and then again at supper time, which is usually around 6:00pm It has helped me get through the day and night almost anxiety free, but it has not quite reduced the symptoms of anxiety completely. I wouldn't discontinue this medication though because I feel a lot better on it than I did before taking it.