How good is "citalopram" for social phobia?

x Will x

Iv been taking it for almost 2 weeks, started on a small dose of 10mg and not moved up to 20.. i haven't noticed any major effects yett. so just wondering if it will kick in soon and if its good for social phobia.

alwaysrunning

i take it, has helped a bit, though i cannot sleep at all, i am also on 20mg, but i think i might need a larger dosage. It has steadied my mood, it keeps me from feeling worse but has not made me feel better.

kristina303

I've been taking it for 6 months. It's pretty much gotten rid of my anxiety. I actually feel like a normal person again. It takes a while to start working though. And it makes me sleepy so I usually take it around 6 pm. Oh I'm on 40mg.

cowboyup

I have been taking it steadily for a couple years, 10 mg. 1xday
It has helped my mood -the ups and downs.
but that's about it, for me at least.

marie85

It has worked wonders for me. I am a whole new person on it! I am so outgoing and calm and cool now. I can think straight and have productive conversations. But it's making me gain so much weight :(
I did a lot of research about this for social anxiety and I found it is highly effective.

kristina303

It has worked wonders for me. I am a whole new person on it! I am so outgoing and calm and cool now. I can think straight and have productive conversations. But it's making me gain so much weight :(
I did a lot of research about this for social anxiety and I found it is highly effective.

Wow. Even though it's working for me I'm still scared to do things even though I know I won't get nervous. Are you like that?

I think citalapram is rubbish, but it apparently works for some, so does placebo though.
I've only taken it once or twice so can't say with certainty but it's a ssri so it isn't likley to be the best option in my view.

Likley not as effective (or safe and healthy) as 5-htp (boosts serotonin chem that's responsible for happyness) or benzos!

Ahhhh benzo's the pills that actually work but have even more side effects than those crazy antidepressents that give ya random erections when your doing the weekly shop That does wonders for anxiety :)

QuietGirl89

I have been on it for about a year and it has worked for me. I can do a lot of things that I couldn't do before without feeling anxious. I also don't feel as nervous when I talk to new people.

cowboyup

Hi Will, I've been taking citalopram 10 mg. for a couple of years. There have been a couple times where I have ran out before I could get to doctor for refill (no insurance) and I can actually tell a difference in my SA and depression.

In conclusion - yes, they do help. My doctor moved me up to 20 mg. once and they made me too tired during the day so he bumped me back down to 10 mg.

You do need to give it longer than a couple weeks to get in your system so hang in there and after a couple months of taking it, you see it's not for you and not working, tell your doctor - I've had to experiment with what works for me and what doesn't .... not unusual.

Hang in there and let me know how it goes :)

Good Luck!

Section_31

I used to be in citalopram, and it indeed did help me. But I didn't like it because it completely killed my sex drive. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin which is one of the one medications that doesn't have that side effect. I'm still on it and its helped me tremendously.

Littlewilly

I 've been taking it now for over 5 months,started off on 10mg then after a month went onto 20mg. Its actually for mild depression aswell & its helped my moods that I was feeling 1st thing in the mornings like feeling bleak & low-spirited & obviously anxious. I'm looking ahead more convidentley & beginning to open up more on my true feelings like talking & smiling at strangers but I don't think its helped my social phobia very much that I've noticed. I've also been working more or less constantly for the past 6 months which has also helped aswell. One other thing worth mentioning if you all don't mind is that I believe it has ''Citalopram'' somewhat cure'd my sexual anxiety,not that I no longer have sexual feelings toward the opposite sex but I don't feel the need to relieve myself or masturbate as often as I used to but don't worry it will not make you impotant:)

buggy

Citalopram helped me a lot but it is no absolute cure for problems. The thing that it helped me with was getting out more and just care less about what other people think. In that sense because I was more confident I tried more things and came out of my shell which helped me to see that people weren't all that averse to me as I thought they were. However what also helped me was psych therapy at the same time so I could rationalize what was happening and when things went bad I could get a better perspective. I think taking Citalopram is great for anxiety but it doesn't address deeper issues you might be dealing with so that is something to keep in mind.

Sure it may help with you SA,but don't ever trust these so called medications that are pushed by Big Pharma.Most of these pills cause side effects in the long run.

spearhunter

yeah I have also tried citalopram, it really does help,but i did not like the fact that my emotions were blunted and no sex drive.

AdamE

Been taking Citalopram for about a year. Not sure if it does anything for my SA, but it does work for my depression.

davey118

I am in the same situation as you I started taking it last Monday and I am supposed to take 10 mg for two weeks and then go up to 20 mg. I haven't seen any effects yet, but all the sources I have read says it takes 6-8 weeks.